Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 25, 2007, 1:18 AM   #1

I am using 2700 mAh NiMH rechargable batteries for the Canon S3IS. I should be getting over 500 pictures worth but I'm lucky if I get 100 before I have to recharge. The recommended batteries are 2500 mAh. Any idea as to what the problem can be (aside from damaged batteries) and how to fix it would be appreciated.
zevg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 1:37 AM   #2

Battery life is a function of a number of elements:

- quality of the battery and charger

- state of battery charge when used

- camera use - if you do a lot of the following, battery life is quickly reduced:

taking a lot of video footage

a lot of reviewing of the pictures on the LCD monitor

a lot of zooming

keeping the camera LCD "ON" even when not taking photos (set to auto shut-off)
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 2:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I think the problem is that the batteries loose their charge as I don't use the camera daily. There are times when a week or two will go by without me taking a shot. I think I need batteries that hold their charge longer. I'm using GP batteries but someone recommended Sanyo Enellop rechargables as they hold their charge much longer.
zevg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 8:02 AM   #4

Standard NiMH batteries lose their charge over time, and many cameras continue to use a very small amount of power, even when turned off. So that probably accounts for why you do not get the number of shots from a charge that you expect.

The Enloop batteries do not self discharge at the same rate as standard NiMH batteries. After a year in storage they are said to still hold about 85% of their original charge. Standard NiMH batteries would be lucky to hold even a measureable charge after one year.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 8:03 AM   #5

zevg wrote:
Quote:
someone recommended Sanyo Enellop rechargables as they hold their charge much longer.
Yes, eneloops are the way to go, IMHO. I use them successfully in my cams.
donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 1:43 AM   #6

I use a brand of NiMH batteries labelled "Uniross". Charging time is very short - something like an hour for 2700 mAH batteries.One other nice touch isyou can get a packwith a car charger that'll charge up to 4 batteries while you are driving. Great for going on the road.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 9:53 PM   #7

I agree with the consensus on eneloop cells. If you want to use 2700 mAh cells, I've found the Powerex 2700 mAh cells to have a low self-discharge rate.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:09 PM   #8

There's a new category of Ni-MH rechargeable cells which have lower self-discharge rate. As mentioned above, 'Eneloops' is one brand, Uniross 'Hybrio' is another, and there are others. A few threads ago in this forum I asked about it, and got some good replies...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=51

They're called 'hybrid' batteries, because they're ready both for instant use, like disposables, and they're rechargeable with low self-discharge. I'd assumed there was some clever combination chemistry in them, but it seems they're just high-quality. Yesterday I bought4 cells for 8 ukpounds each at Asda (UK Walmart), which is the cheapest I've seen, atabout twice the price of cheap but good 'standard' 2500mAh Ni-MH cells.

I have four of them backing up one of my old AA-powereddigicams, still used occasionally, because it has an external flash sync socket.Yesterday's 4 are to go in my son's & my daughter's digicams, which also have long periods between use & recharge.

The friend who alerted me to their existence uses them (as AAA) in remote controls, little-used flashlights, etc. In such applications, standard Ni-MH cells with their high self-discharge rates are a bit of a disaster area.The devices frequently won't work when you really need them, and you haven't got power or time to recharge them.So I think they're a bit of a breakthrough.

My friendly and expert local camera shop tell me they stocked them for a while, but gave up because no-one bought them. This is unsurprising, as the cells arerelatively expensive (but only the same price as standard cells were until recently), and few people realise what they're for.

Good luck,

Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:57 PM   #9

I have 5 sets of AA batteries for my camera. If I do not use the batteries for 2 weeks staright they are charged to cap them off that way when I need them they work. I find after 4 weeks they have about 15% of their total power.

Discharge them with a good charger and recharge them, use them within a few daysand see if that helps. Sometime sif the battery is really missed up you have to discharge and charge twice to fix the issue

Hope this helps

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 5:52 PM   #10

I used to use Duracell and Energizer cells.
I switched to Rayovac Hybrids and I get over 800 images per charge. Additoinally, these cells hold their charge much much loonger than the other two I used. I am happy with the results I get and am nopt planning to change

Feroz

fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote