Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 13, 2007, 9:34 PM   #11

It's very easy to use, and the modes/rates are great. Just keep this in mind when it comes to charge rates: Charge between .5 and 1C, discharge at .1C

C=Total rated capacity of the cells. To determine the charge rate, multiply therated capacityby the charge rate you wish to use.

I want to charge my 2700 mAh cells at .5C. 2700 X .5 = 1350, so I select a charge rate of 1400 mA. I want to discharge them at .1C. 2700 X .1 = 270 mA, so I select a discharge rate of 300 mA.

If you buy the charger from Thomas Distributing,they includea very nice pouch with it that makes it easy to travel. I highly recommend Thomas Distributing, I've done quite a bit of business with them over the past few years. They have top notch customer service.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 8:01 AM   #12

Hello Coppertrail,

Discharging rates are subjective. The maximum recommended discharge rate for consumer NiMh cells is 2C. Below that, you can pretty much do anything you want to do.

If you are interested in how your cells capacity matches the capacity given by the manufacturer, you should do a 5 hour discharge. The standard for rating capacity of a cell specifies a 0.2C discharge rate.

The C9000 in Break-In mode follows this standard procedure.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 5:29 PM   #13

Have no idea why I had the .1 dischargerate stuck in my head, it is .2. MRB - Just substitute .2for .1 in my example above.

coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:16 AM   #14
mrb

Thank you Tom and Coppertrail.

It sometimes takes me forever to research things prior to purchases and to make decisions, but I finally "went all out" and ordered the C9000 from Thomas Distributing. It was on sale for $60, and I also bought a bunch of of other items including some Powerex 2700's. The order also included a 5% and 2% discount, so I think I got a pretty good deal. Ihope that the charger and rechargeable cells "pay for themselves" after a while. I also got several freebies, including 4 IPower 2100 cells. Are these cells any good? Would they be better suited to lower draw equipment like a radio or remote control, as compared to a digicam?

Finally, since our digicams often sit unused for a few weeks at a time, I ordered some Eneloops for their low self-discharge rate. I had $25 credit at Amazon.com, so I bought their 8 AA Eneloops for $20 (which seemed like the best deal around), and also bought 4 AAA to use up my $25 and get free shipping!

Thanks for all the comments. I may be posting back if I need help once I get the stuff!

mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 7:55 AM   #15

Hi mrb

You'll be happy with the gear you bought. I had an S2 IS and usually got 200-300 shots from the Powerex 2700's.

regarding the iPower 2100 batteries in low power devices, no, these wont be so good. The batteries will discharge over a month or 2. You need to use low discharge (Eneloop/Hybrio) so they dont go flat before you use their power, or just be prepared to recharge them every couple of months.

Jeff
servaasproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 9:50 PM   #16
mrb

Thank you Jeff. I'll keep that in mind about the IPower 2100's. I figured that they weren't great, but I thought I could use them in something.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:54 PM   #17

Try Impact Brand 2700mha batteries available from bhphotoviceo they last up to150shots in my hot shoe flash (yet to try them in my camera). I also have several sets of Energerzier rechargables and they all last a long time in my camera (Fuji S-9100). I can get about 300 shots using CF card (vs xD) and Energerzies 2500mhas. UsexD card for iomage capture and I get 190 per charge. Seems like in my camrra the xD is a power hog.

Hpe this helps

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote