Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 2, 2003, 1:05 PM   #1

Default Maha C204F and Powerex 700's AAA used w/Handspring Visor

With alkaline AAA's in my Handspring Visor Deluxe, they will last about 6-8 weeks. Using Powerex 700 AAA's, fully conditioned and recharged, they only last 2 weeks. I also know that my conditioned Powerex 2000 AA batteries only last for about 30-40 pictures at the largest size and finest detail (not TiFF) in my Minolta s414. I know that I can get thousands of charges out of these batteries, but I was hoping they would last LONGER than the alternatives per charge cycle. Am I missing the point?
SteveinDanville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2003, 3:16 PM   #2

Do you know what the mAh ratings is for those Powerex batteries are? It is by chance 700mAh? If so, those are really weak batteries. You can get 2000mAh batteries without too much trouble.

The way a camera uses a battery is quite difference than a PDA. A camera draws LOTS of current all at once and then doesn't do much for a little while. Then draws another huge amount of current. A PDA draws a steady current over a long perios of time. That means that the nature of the battery be different... that it is designed to handle either a huge draw at once or a smaller draw over a long time.

Check out this review of batteries, you might learn something:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

I know I found it useful when I was learning more about batteries. This link is also handy:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_accessories.html

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 6:24 PM   #3

SteveinDanville-
I have a Palm IIIxe which I think is essentially the same as the Visor Deluxe. I've tried 700mAh Kodak NiMh cells charge/conditioned by my C204F and have similar run-times as you have expreienced. I generally get 8-10 weeks on Duracell Alalines.

I've concluded that it's not so much that the NiMh AAAs are lower capacity than the Alkalines, which of course they are, but the significant factor is that the NiMh have lower terminal voltage and the low battery detection circuit in the Palm thinks that the batteries need replacing when the voltage gets to ~2.4 volts. This is right about what the normal terminal voltage is of two NiMh cells (wired in series) is after the inital charge bleeds off. Right out of the charger, the cells measure ~ 1.5 volts, but after sitting for a week or so with no load, they reach a (almost) steady state of 1.25 V. With a few weeks of self discharge or when under load, the terminal voltage is around 1.2 V.

I've had a similar premature low battery indication when trying to use 1800 mAh NiMh cells in my Garmin GPS receiver.

Digital cameras and NiMh batteries work well together, portable computing devices don't seem to be as good of a match.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 7:00 PM   #4

Thank you both; I did check for any more powerful AAA Powerex batteries, and 700's are still the strongest. It's AA's that seem to get more powerful every week. My first set were 1700's, and now I'm using 2000's.
SteveinDanville is offline   Reply With Quote