Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:50 PM   #1

I have always used the battery pack from my compact digital cameras, but I am noticing that most of the compact digital cameras come with AA batteries. Is there a consensus about which is better?
bkford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2007, 3:36 PM   #2

bkford wrote:
Quote:
Is there a consensus about which is better?
No.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:38 PM   #3

Li-ion is a better chemistry. Higher capacity for a given weight/size, less self-discharge, less memory effect, etc. However, for me the killer is the proprietary batts. I've converting all my Li-ion/proprietary batt. toys to standard AA NiMhs and I feel like a huge weight/worry has been lifted off my shoulders. I like traveling and camping and will tend to carry some combination of the following:

- MP3 player
- Digicam
- Handheld GPS
- UV water purifier
- Headlamp flashlight
- Blackberry
- Nintendo DS

(The first 5 are AA based, the last 2 are Li-ion, but I have a tiny AA to Li-ion charger).

When these toys were Li-ion based, I needed to carry at least one spare LI batt, and charger, for EACH item (there goes the lighter, more efficient LI argument), and still found I ended up with dead gadgets. AA based, I can now carry on one charger and one (max 2) sets of spares. With AAs you always have the additional back-up options of cannibilizing off another gadget and buying alkalines in any store.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:40 PM   #4

Duplicate post
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:41 PM   #5

Duplicate post
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:42 PM   #6

Message deleted

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 12:07 AM   #7

In spite of several attempts, I've failed to correct an editing error in the message above. It's a bit like the dupicate post problem gone mad. So please can a mod delete the one above if they see it?

reppans wrote: Li-ion is a better chemistry.

Yes but there is one potential drawback, which is shelf life and overall longevity. In other words, you may have to change them after a few years whether you use them or not. However, the technology is improving all the time. Also, because of the dangers inherent in the materials, and the complexity of the chemistry, charging and safety protection are quite complicated.

Their biggest advantage of all is the relatively huge storage capacity.

Ni-MH have the huge drawback of rapid self-discharge, but the advantages of cheapness and interchangeability of batteries & chargers, combined with reasonably high capacity. So-called 'hybrid' Ni-MH cells get round the self-discharge problem to a considerable degree, albeit at greater expense.

Isidor Buchmann's excellent 'Battery University' www.battery.com has discussions of all the pros and cons. His most recent stuff I can see (March 2007) is about batteries for hybrid cars & electric vehicles, http://www.buchmann.ca/article32-page1.asp, but much of that battery information is relevant to any end-use.

In the long-term, disposable throwaway batteries are enormously expensive and environmentally dreadful, but everyone should carry them as emergency backup for forgotten chargers, cradles, etc. Also, If your charger doesn't have a 12V input, you're tied to mains power for rechargeables unless you carry an inverter around in your vehicle. These usually cost more than the charger.

Also...reppans wrote: for me the killer is the proprietary batts. I've converting all my Li-ion/proprietary batt. toys to standard AA NiMhs

For 2xAA and 4xAA cameras & other devices that can tolerate the voltages and whose battery compartment can take disposable Li CR-V3 batteries, designed to fit in the same hole, the advent of quite cheap rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries now offers an alternative. Cheaper replacements are available even for Kodak's KLIC-8000, which is the same shape as a CR-V3, but has different contacts.

It's only a few years since I was using small sealed lead-acid batteries on my camcorders. Despite the weight, I preferred them to Ni-Cd, because they were always ready for use, being tolerant to trickle charge.

Have fun, Alan T
Old Jul 14, 2007, 1:52 AM   #8

reppans wrote:
Quote:
Li-ion is a better chemistry. ....However, ...killer ...proprietary batts.converting all my Li-ion/proprietary batt.standard AA NiMhs...huge weight/worry has been lifted
Have you seen the Wikipaedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li-ion_battery, which explains the technology well and backs up your viewpoint for many applications on grounds of robustness as well as cost?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 8:43 PM   #9

Yes, I'm battery anal too and have done my homework on Batt. Univ., Wiki, Candlelight Forums and Silverfox's post here.... I'm quite happy with the performance, and ease of use of my Eneloops
Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:44 AM   #10

For NiMH AA cells, I'd say the best are Powerex 2700 mAh standard NiMHcells (both in capacity and self-discharge rate). For LSD NiMH, I prefer the eneloop cells over the Rayovac Hybrids.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote