Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 1, 2007, 1:47 PM   #21

Kodak's US web store has KLIC-8000s at $30 and Circuit City has them, both in store and on line at $35. Neither Kodak nor Circuit City has the K7500-C charger but Ritz Camera appears to have it at about $40. If you get the K7500-C charger be sure it has the adapter for the KLIC-8000. The K8500 charger that ships with the Z612 doesn't require an adapter

The site bestbatt.com (which a good rep as far as I can tell) has 3d party KLIC-8000 equivalents that do have the same contact arrangement as the KLIC-8000 for much less. They also offer a K8500 equivalent charger.

I'd suggest getting two rechargeable batteries so that you have a fully charged one ready to go when you run down the one in the camera.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 3:19 PM   #22

Hi, just found this forum after searching for help. I just received a couple KLIC-8000 (imitations) and my Z712 will not turn on. Works fine with regular AA batteries. I've charged both 8000's and read 4.16v with a voltmeter, so I know they have a charge.
Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone else have this happen to them?

Camera is only 1 month old.

Thank you!

Kerry5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 4:34 PM   #23

Kerry5 wrote:
Quote:
...my Z712 will not turn on... Works fine with regular AA batteries....8000's... read 4.16v with a voltmeter...Anyone have any suggestions?
Reports vary about AA batteries in the Z712. I and others find it'll switch on OK, but fail quite quickly on Ni-MH AA rechargeables. Strangely, others report reasonable AA lifetimes.

I use CR-V3 Li-ion rechargeables myself, and don't have a KLIC-8000.

Note that open-circuit voltage doesn't mean a lot, though 4.16V should usually indicate full charge. You really need to put a load on and see what happens then (as when you switch on the camera). I am fortunate in having a meter with a 'battery test' that measures the current delivered through two different sizes of standard resistor. A freshly-charged CR-V3 rechargeable Li-ion delivers 9.8mA through 360ohms, and about 94mA through 37ohms. It is not impossible that counterfeit KLIC-8000s could give the right voltage, but have a very small battery inside, though this would be surprising, and quite expensive to make, I'd have thought!

Are you sure the camera and battery contacts are meeting correctly? They are in different places when using KLIC-8000, which have one end and one side contact,from other batteries which have two end contacts.

Although your operation with AAs seems diagnostically satisfactory, another means of testing the camera would be to buy a single disposable CR-V3 primary Li battery. After trying it, you could carry it as a powerful backup spare and camera tester, as the expiry date is likely to be many years hence. That won't test the side contact in the camera, however;it also uses a pair of end contacts.

Good luck!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 5:19 PM   #24

Kerry5 wrote:
Quote:
I just received a couple KLIC-8000 (imitations) and my Z712 will not turn on. Works fine with regular AA batteries. I've charged both 8000's and read 4.16v with a voltmeter, so I know they have a charge.
Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone else have this happen to them?

Camera is only 1 month old.

Thank you!
I think your 3d-party KLIC-8000s are defective and possibly fraudulently so. Above in this thread "christov" reported seeing a demo where some supposed KLIC-8000s wouldn't operate a Z712. I can't test this myself but I can state that the Z612 operates perfectly with genuine Kodak KLIC-8000s.

If I may ask what was the source for your batteries?
Old Oct 7, 2007, 6:35 PM   #25

Source of the batteries(2) and charger was ebay, seller wqtallup. Came in a Hong Kong package.

As far as I can tell the camera contacts appear fine looking down the battery compartment in the camera. The center contact appears aligned properly and the 8000's appear to fit in there correctly...

My digital voltmeter does not have a battery tester/load option. But I did put the leads on and selected the 2000mA range on the multimeter. The display immediately went to 16 then over a period of 30 seconds or so went down to 0.
The next range selection is 200mA but it maxed that out (i.e. "1. ").
This means these batteries are useless, eh?
Any other definitive tests I could do? I probably will run down the street and pick up a Kodak brand 8000 and verify the camera works. I expect it will.

Oh well, $28 for 2 batts and charger was probably "to good to be true".

Thanks for the help! Love the forum (and the camera).

Old Oct 9, 2007, 4:26 AM   #26

I've had very good performance from KLIC-8000 replacements from a US company you can reach at www.bestbatt.com.

I ordered a couple because they were so cheap and they ship overseas. Got them to send them via US Postal Mail and they went from the US to Asia in just 2 weeks.

They will charge in the Kodak charger for the KLIC-8000. If you do not have this charger, get one from www.bestbatt.com also.

Hope this helps.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:09 AM   #27

More info....
I purchased two batteries from bestbatt.com. They appear identical to the batteries purchased earlier off ebay. So identical I had to mark them so they wouldn't get mixed up.
Again, nothing. Camera will not power on. Charged all four batteries. Put each one in the charger, red light comes on. Few hours later green light comes on....

As far as I can tell the contacts for the camera are fine.
The only thing worth noting is on the lid to the camera compartment there is/was a little black piece of plastic behind the terminal nearest the hinge. It came loose a while back and now is lost. I wouldn't 'think' this would have anything to do with it since the KLIC's use the terminals down inside the compartment....????

Really frustrating! I have four of these batteries now...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 4:01 PM   #28

Kerry5 wrote:
Quote:
More info....
I purchased two batteries from bestbatt.com. They appear identical to the batteries purchased earlier off ebay. So identical I had to mark them so they wouldn't get mixed up.
Again, nothing. Camera will not power on. Charged all four batteries. Put each one in the charger, red light comes on. Few hours later green light comes on....

Have you verified that your Z712 still powers up with CVR3?

Old Oct 20, 2007, 7:27 PM   #29

Kerry5 wrote:
Quote:
As far as I can tell the contacts for the camera are fine.
The only thing worth noting is on the lid to the camera compartment there is/was a little black piece of plastic behind the terminal nearest the hinge. It came loose a while back and now is lost. I wouldn't 'think' this would have anything to do with it since the KLIC's use the terminals down inside the compartment....????

Really frustrating! I have four of these batteries now...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I've just tested a Z712 with one of my genuine Kodak KLIC-8000 batteries, courtesy of Office Max and their Z712 demo camera worked just fine.

I'm a bit concerned about your "black piece of plastic" as the terminals in the battery cover link the the positive of one AA to the negative of the other AA but as you say that shouldn't be in the circuit with either CVR3s or the KLIC-8000.

Old Oct 20, 2007, 8:02 PM   #30

Thanks for the ideas.
This is really frustrating. Having to resort to NiMH with 15 pics before camera shuts down.
I will see if I can find a local store I can take it to and try out a different Z712 and I'll take these batteries with me. I need to nail down the problem!
I bought it online through Dell after seeing it for just under $200 on bensbargains.net so I'll send it back as a last resort.

Again, thanks.
Kerry