Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:21 PM   #31

I've just tested a Z812 with one of my genuine Kodak KLIC-8000 batteries, courtesy ofBest Buyand their Z812 demo camera worked just fine.

My suggestion for Z712/Z812 owners that are having problem with third party KLIC-8000 equivalent batteries is to check camera operation with a name brand CV-R3 non-rechargeable Li battery. If your camera works with the CV-R3 but doesn't work with the KLIC-8000 equiv. then the battery is bad, regardless of how newor suitable the seller claimed itto be. Caveat Emptor.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:43 PM   #32

I ran it over to a Circuit City today. The demo cameras do not have access to the battery compartment (locked). So I was unable to try my batteries.
But an employee did open a new Kodak KLIC-8000 and it didn't power on the camera. He assured me they come with a charge....
Can anyone verify that? Does a new Kodak KLIC-8000 come with enough charge to power on the camera?

Thanks.

Kerry5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 9:05 PM   #33

Kerry5 wrote:
Quote:
Does a new Kodak KLIC-8000 come with enough charge to power on the camera?

Thanks.
LiIon batteries leave the factory with a 40%. Whether any charge remains when you check depend on how long they've been on the shelf.

By the way Best Buys demo unit was locked also. The associate just unlock it forme when I told him about the forum discussions as they didat Office Max last night.

While at BB tonight I looked at the plastic around the cover contacts and I believe the shape of the contacts and of the plastic spacers form a mechanical reverse polarity protection device when using AA cells.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:19 PM   #34

Kerry5 wrote:
Quote:
I purchased two batteries from bestbatt.com.
Again, nothing. Camera will not power on. Charged all four batteries. Put each one in the charger, red light comes on. Few hours later green light comes on....
I bought two Klic8000's from best batt some months ago for a Z612. Charged them on the Kodak charger, installed them in the camera and they worked without any problem. Got about the same number of pictures on a charge as the Kodak-branded Klic8000.

You might want to buy an Kodak-branded lithium or lithium ion (I forget which it is that Kodak has) non-rechargeable battery and try that first on your Z712 to see if the camera itself if ok.

bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:28 PM   #35

By the way, you may want to check out another thread in this forum under "Batteries or Power Packs/Batteries in recent Kodak 'big zoom' cameras".

The contributor is using rechargeable CRV3's on a Z712 and says he has had no problems - bought the batteries off ebay.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:58 AM   #36

bayani wrote:
Quote:
Kodak-branded lithium or lithium ion (I forget which it is that Kodak has) non-rechargeable battery
CRV3 batteries from Kodak are primary lithium batteries. Lithium metal is irreversibly oxidised to lithium ions on discharge, with the release of rather a lot of energy for such a small package, because lithium is a very reactive metal.

Lithium ion batteries are rechargeable, secondary batteries. Lithium isn't oxidised in these; the name is a misnomer in battery technology terms. Lithium ions have only one oxidation state.

Lithium ions, being small and therefore fast moving, act as the current carriers through the cells. The metal ions that are oxidised on discharge are generally complex cobalt ones. They go from one state to another, and then back again on recharge. This is achieved by moving lithium ions to & fro inside the cell, and electrons round an external circuit.

This isn't very rigorous, but I hope it explains the difference.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:08 AM   #37

Thanks Alan for the clarification.

I guess what Kerry5 needs to do is first use a battery that he knows is good - which is why I suggested the Kodak-branded lithium. If the camera still does not work with a reliable battery, then a closer look at the camera needs to be done.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 2:54 PM   #38

I have good experience with cheapbatts.com, but i don't know they will ship it to oversea. Company is based in US. They sell the Klic 8000 battery for 9.00

http://www.cheapbatts.com/p-123-koda...a-battery.aspx
chhchung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 2:05 AM   #39

They do ship overseas and quite reliable in this area also.

I live overseas and ordered a set from them. After ordering, when I thought it may have been lost in the mail, Best Batt was ready to ship me a replacement set at no cost to me. Fortunately, before they actually shipped, my order arrived.

Great service.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 4:37 AM   #40

Take a look at : http://www.all-camcorder-battery.co....-klic-8000.htm

Or google the klic-8000 http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...arch&meta=

you may find a suitable one, IMO cr-v3 also can fits you machine.
Good luck.
digitalbattery is offline   Reply With Quote