Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:14 AM   #1

Does anyone know where I can buy the above battery in the UK. I have tried comet, currys, Jessops and local independant camera shops, amazon etc. But can't find a shop who stocks it. I called Kodak over a month ago and they said they had no stock and it was on back order. They have placed an order (twice as the first was cancelled and they didn't bother to inform me!)but said they had no idea when it would be back in stock.

any help appreciated.
tinman9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:30 PM   #2

Unless your camera will take only the KLIC-8000, you may be able to get away with 'rechargeable CR-V3' Li-ion batteries from various outlets. Maplin sell them and a charger under I think, the 'Vanson' name, with a battery branded 'Digital' in it, and there's aUniross charger, which I've seen, and their battery, one of which I have. These two chargers look identical to me.

I'm getting rather variable battery life in my new (since May) Kodak Z712is, but in the last 3 days I've got 242 shots in three sessions out of one of these batteries before the camera shut down.

KLIC-8000 has one end and one side contact. CR-V3 disposable and CR-V3 rechargeable have two contacts on one end. My rechargeable CR-V3 have an extra little contact between the other two, used for charging. Some rechargeable CR-V3 don't have this centre contact, so they need a different charger.

The Kodak Z712 battery compartment has two end contacts and one side contact, so it will take either type (and several other possibilities), which work with varying degrees of success.

I am amused, in a dark sort of way, by the fact that you can't get the KLIC-8000. After weeks of discussion, and finally getting to the pointwhere I think I understand the options, we'd come to the conclusion that I should have bought a KLIC-8000 in the first place, as the only absolutely satisfactory solution. However I'm too mean to do that, having already bought the rechargeable CR-V3s, and it turns out now that that is just as well.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice, i did look at the Maplins cr- v3ones online but will have to see them physically to ensure they will fit properly..... only problem is that the closest maplins is some distance away....
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:12 PM   #4

tinman-

I have a spare KLIC-8000 that I can send to you post haste, if you are interested. Just send me a PM and I am sure we can work out the details.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:15 AM   #5

Yes, I've noticed that there seems to be no problem with supply ofthe Klic 8000 in the states, having searched a few web sites and cheaper too, less than half the price of the same battery here in 'rip off Britain'... I shall certainly send you a wee pm at some point.... Thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:07 AM   #6

tinman9898 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, i did look at the Maplins cr- v3ones online but will have to see them physically to ensure they will fit properly..... only problem is that the closest maplins is some distance away....
I just looked at Maplins website, and they have different types of rechargeable "RCR-V3", one labelled "RCR-V3", and the other "NCR-V3". My two are just labelled "Rechargeable CR-V3", and they have a small offset contact between the two main contacts on one end, which is used as the "+" contact by my charger.

I can see from the Maplin picture that the RCR-V3 has only two end contacts, and therefore requires a different 2-contact charger. I have seen these elsewhere on t'internet, as well...

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_crv3r.htm

I actually spoke to a human being there, who was busy sticking warning stickers on 2-contact chargers (see below).

They sell two types, 3-contact like mine, and also higher capacity 2-contact ones. I am pretty sure that all these batteries labelled "CR-V3" of one sort & another will fit both the Z612 and the Z712. As I have had somewhat variable life from my two, if I were starting again, I'd probably go for the higher capacity 2-contact ones.

If you do get one of those, whatever you do, don't try & use accidentally it to recharge a disposable CR-V3 primary Li battery. I imagine the 3-contact system and the KLIC-8000 were invented to avoid that possibility. It would be very dangerous. Isidor Buchmann of http://www.batteryuniversity.com says Li & Li-ion battery manufacturers don't talk about fires or explosions; it's called "venting with flame".

I should love to hear from a battery expert who can expound on the similarities & differences between these flavours of rechargeable Li-ion in a CR-V3-shaped case. I know that mine contain extra electronic components, because the open circuit voltage across the contacts used by the charger is higher than that presented to the camera. It could be that the higher capacity comes just from leaving out that component! Someone round here must know the answer.

Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:20 AM   #7

By the way tinman9898, I love your avatar image. Nice weather you were having that day! I did the Cuillin Ridge in 7h45m peak to peak in 1977 but would struggle to reach Coire Lagan now.

I & family goto Skye a lot, often on the way to the W.Isles where it is often raining a little less heavily, but blowing harder. What or where is 'Escocia', or is it just Scotland?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:54 AM   #8

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
By the way tinman9898, I love your avatar image. Nice weather you were having that day! I did the Cuillin Ridge in 7h45m peak to peak in 1977 but would struggle to reach Coire Lagan now.

I & family goto Skye a lot, often on the way to the W.Isles where it is often raining a little less heavily, but blowing harder. What or where is 'Escocia', or is it just Scotland?

Escocia (pronounced Escothia) is Spanishfor Scotland...I spend some time each year in Asturias as my other half is from there... If you like Skye you would love the Picos de Europa and Somiedo natural park... very similar, rugged landscapes. I hope to have some photos taken with my Kodak z740, which I had with me at the time on my travel web site soon, so look out for them... At the moment I have some of Skye and others of Madrid, Firenze and Roma taken with an olympus ultra zoom I had...

feel free to send any photos you would like included in the gallery pages to the contact email on the page, with a write up of recommended places to eat/stay/see...

Did you see last weeks episode of mountain on bbc1? Some stunning views of Skye, hopefully i will have more time to go back there and do some walking and maybe take some more pics....I think they are in the lake district tonight at 9pm...then central scotland next week...

http://www.sites/ecosse.net/traveltheplanet/

p.s. The pics of Skye were taken in May and the weather was indeed fine, a bit chilly with the wind but no rain and glorious sunshine which always helps enhance your photos....

Old Aug 5, 2007, 1:44 PM   #9

Thanks. I've sent you a 'pm' about the Picos de Europa
Old Aug 18, 2007, 1:50 PM   #10

Just checked the Kodak web site and it would appear the Klic 8000 is back in stock at £19.99 plus £4 postage.

I have however ordered from a shop called Harpers photographic...

http://www.harpersphoto.co.uk/

£19.99 plus £2.50 postage.... Just waiting for the battery to arrive now... fingers crossed...