Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:17 PM   #1

I bought Li-Ion (NP-20) from a few sellers on eBay.

They go for 0.97c-$1.99 600-900mah (plus $5.99s/h). Why so cheap if on
Amazon.com and in stores they cost $39.99? J&R sells NP-20 630mAh for
$19.99.

One was indeed bad, but for 0.97c I wont bother returning it. The maH
rating is probably bogus, for all I know the Chinese just slap a
sticker with a 900mAh rating on a 600mAh cell; but then again who
cares if they work for 1/10th the price.

Has anyone had a bad experience with these cheapo Li-Ion batteries
sold on eBay? Is there a greater risk of a leak or damage to the
camera?

PS: prices for all other types of cells(AA Lithium, NiMh)
are basically the same as in stores.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:39 PM   #2

Don't know that I have a camera cheap enough to make me want to try those.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:10 PM   #3

Hello Romphotog,

It is rumored that batteries that don't meet QC standards sometimes surface on places likeeBay...

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:56 PM   #4

romphotog wrote:
Quote:

camera?

Ignore the mAh rating. I bought two Canon NB-4L equivalent from eBay with higher mAh rating than the original. One was DOA, the other one got like 1/4 as many pictures per charge compared to original.

The small import resellers also don't have much asset, so they don't have much product liability concerns. The suppliers in Hong Kong/China land obvious won't
assume liability when it catches on fire while charging and such.

Camera is the least of your concern. If it has an upset stomach, it will vent with flame and it might cost you a car, a house or worse, a life of someone and when the company has no incentives to avoid such, they tend not to care.

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 2:21 PM   #5

Before I would buy from eBay, I would check out SterlingTek. They sell aftermarket batts at a reasonable price, and based on the many positive comments they receive on a number of photo forums, they're probably much less of a risk than an eBay seller.
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:52 PM   #6

romphotog wrote:
Quote:
I bought Li-Ion (NP-20) from a few sellers on eBay.

They go for 0.97c-$1.99 600-900mah (plus $5.99s/h). Why so cheap if on
Amazon.com and in stores they cost $39.99? J&R sells NP-20 630mAh for
$19.99.

One was indeed bad, but for 0.97c I wont bother returning it. The maH
rating is probably bogus, for all I know the Chinese just slap a
sticker with a 900mAh rating on a 600mAh cell; but then again who
cares if they work for 1/10th the price.

camera?

I bought a Lenmar DLCS-40 (NP-40 for casio) from Ritz.

Ritz also have the Lenmar NP-20 for similar price and it'll cost about $20 shipped.
Lenmar has been around for a while and comes with a three year warranty if it burns down your house, they'll at least be around for you to go after them.

What's the point of buying a spare battery if it won't provide a good usable time?

I'm running capacity tests on Lenmar DLCS-40 (1230mAh) and a Casio OEM NP-40 at approximately 0.5A discharge, which is reasonably close to what the camera would use during video recording and such. I'll post the result once they're done.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:48 PM   #7

I was wondering the same thing as well.. I know our Digicams/dslrs are worth a lot but these batteries are great deals on ebay..

ido have a set from ebay.. china brand of AA rechargeable batteries and they work great.. but for the canon's slrs I was hoping I could use some cheaper-priced without compromising the performance or quality.

If anyone knows a supplier that has the batteries for good deal please post.

Canon XTI here
newshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:06 AM   #8

newshooter wrote:
Quote:
ido have a set from ebay.. china brand of AA rechargeable batteries and they work great.. but for the canon's slrs I was hoping I could use some cheaper-priced without compromising the performance or quality.
Cheap AA (NiMH) batteries are of no concern security wise. All you risk is falty cells, low performance and if you're very unlucky spilled electrolyte. NiMH doesn't explode or vent with flame as LiIon can do - NiMH is an entirely different chemistry which itself - in contrast to LiIon - doesn't contain any flameable materials.

Well, I won't buy any dirt cheap LiIons for the reason that they need to be of certain quality not to be a security risk. In Europe there are good alternatives to original batteries from Ansmann, Uniross, GP, Duracell and probably some I forgot. Reasonably priced (1/5-1/3 of the original) and quality/security compareable to original ones. Just stay clear of the 2-4 $/Euro noname ones.

I have one qeuestion I hope You (the readers of this forum) will answer. How good are the third party chargers out there? Anyone tried the cheaper ones? If buying an Ansmann or GP capable of a multitude they're both big and costs almost as much as an original charger. LiIon needs to be charged with very specific voltage requirements and limited current to prolong life - does the cheaper chargers full fill this?

The idea of a cheap charger is of course to bring it along on vacations and such and if lost or damaged no greather harm is done. Also the cheap ones tends to operate on 12 v (using a wall adaptor for mains) and therefore is useable in a car etc.
McAllan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:41 PM   #9

McAllan wrote:
Quote:
I have one qeuestion I hope You (the readers of this forum) will answer. How good are the third party chargers out there? Anyone tried the cheaper ones? If buying an Ansmann or GP capable of a multitude they're both big and costs almost as much as an original charger. LiIon needs to be charged with very specific voltage requirements and limited current to prolong life - does the cheaper chargers full fill this?

Hi McAllan,
This is a very generalised question because no one can answer for every generic "cheap" charger out there.

There are hundreds, probably thousands, of manufacturers of generic batteries and chargers and each manufacturer has their own set of quality control and standards.

At the end of the day if you purchase a charger that you know has been through rigourous quality control then it will be just as good as the original branded model.

The chargers we sell and most other sellers deal with will charge a Li-Ion battery to capacity and then switch to trickle charge.

Again, you've just got to use your common sense and purchase from someone who has a reputation to protect and is honest in their dealings.

Liam - BetterBatt.com.au

--
www.betterbatt.com.au

Better Batt Pty. Ltd.
616 Drummond St
Carlton North VIC 3054
Australia

Email and MSN Messenger: [email protected]
Phone: 1300 733 102 within Australia or +61 (03) 9347 6756 for international calls between 9am and 6pm AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
betterbatt is offline   Reply With Quote