Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:38 AM   #1

I have a duracell CEF14N charger and would like to purchase some new batteries for my Canon S5 IS. Will this charger charge the new 2650 batteries or should I be looking at a whole new bundle? The output on the charger says 5.6 volts @ 360 ma for 4 AA'S.
Watson S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:52 PM   #2
blr

Depending on the timer setting it may, or may not fully charge high capacity cells. Unfortunately Duracell print about this charger does not mention the max time. In any case you may be better off getting a new bundle. Look for something that can charge your cells faster, ideally has 4 separate channels and voltage-based charge termination , like -dV.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:49 PM   #3

It should charge fine!
I just bought an extra charger CEF12N - a 2003 model from Walgreens for $10.49 (closeout) and not realizing how old it was until I opened the box... but it charged 4 Energizer 2200 fine. So the one you have should do the job for 2700 and up.

Anybody interested: Walgreens is discounting all regular Duracell charger + 4 AA (included) for $10.49 (reg. price :$19.95). The AA batteries are 1800s.

Does it make any difference if one installs newly charged (WARM) batteries... and not waiting to cool off?
S2Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:19 AM   #4
blr

S2Can wrote:
Quote:
It should charge fine!
I just bought an extra charger CEF12N - a 2003 model from Walgreens for $10.49 (closeout) and not realizing how old it was until I opened the box... but it charged 4 Energizer 2200 fine. So the one you have should do the job for 2700 and up.

Anybody interested: Walgreens is discounting all regular Duracell charger + 4 AA (included) for $10.49 (reg. price :$19.95). The AA batteries are 1800s.

Does it make any difference if one installs newly charged (WARM) batteries... and not waiting to cool off?
How do you know that your cells are fully charged? The only way to determine this for shure is to take your cells from the charger in question, discharge them under known load to 1.00 V/cell and calculate the discharged capacity. Then do a standard charge on the same cells at 0.1C for 16 hours and repeat the discharge under the same known load. Compare the two values. If you get more han 4-5% lower discharge capacity from the tested charger compared to standard charge, your charger does not charge them fully.

If you at least know what is the timer setting of the charger in question, we could have made an educated guess, otherwize your recommendation can be... missleading.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote