Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:19 AM   #1

Just wanted to pass along this incase anyone else is in my situation.

I am a high volume shooter using the Fuji S-9100 and Sunpack 383 Super Auto Flash.... all of which use AAs. I have been using a nunch of sets of AAs that go back to 2004 (maybe even 2003)time frame up to 2006.I have been looking around for thestrongest and longest lasting batteries I could find for my camera without having to use waist mounted battery clusters.....

Last week I started to use Impact brands 2900mAh niMH rechargeables from bhphotovideo.com. They sell them in 4 packs and 10 packs. I got 2x 10 pack in order to be able to fully replace all of my batteries except my impact 2700mAh set I got with the flash. I now have 6 sets of batteries total (1 in flash, 1 in camera and 4 spares).

So far my tests indicate I am getting about 20 to 25% (maybebecause the older onesdon't fully charge anymore)more battery life from them than my strongest 2500mAh batteries and about 10% more than the 2700mha batteries that came with the flash. So far I have not used any other batteries that last longer. Sure they take about 45 minutes longer to charge per set compared to my older batteries but so far it appears to be worth it. The real test will be tonight at the local High Schol Football Game.

I got the batteries through bhphotovideo are resonablied priced and I got mine 3 days after I ordered them via UPS. For anyone who has old AAs that aren't making the grade I would try these. I will report back in 2 weeks after I have had a chance to shoot a football game and a special dinner/roast and toast event using the new batteries.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2007, 2:49 PM   #2

1st test was a high school footbnall this past Friday night. I shot pregame warmups, marching band at half time and the entire game. I got roughly 430 shots per set of batteries when used with my 2GB Sandisc Ultra II CF card. I only need 2 sets of batteries to do the entire game

dave
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:35 AM   #3

Ok here the results of my testing

Fji S9100 digital camera loaded with fresh charged batteries (within last 4 to 5 days) and 2GB Ultra II Sandisc CF card. viewfinder used, hot shoe flash used for 30% of shoits but powered by 4x AAs. LCD screen used ever 30 or 40 shots.

Shot 2 high school football games, an indoor dinner event and the dismantling of an old bridge that yield 225 shots.

I got approx 500 to 525 shots per set of batteries when using single autofocus. That was enough for 3 quaters ofboth high school football games

dave
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:17 AM   #4

Quote:

Last week I started to use Impact brands 2900mAh niMH rechargeables from bhphotovideo.com. They sell them in 4 packs and 10 packs.
Anything above 2500mAh is pretty much bogus!
S2Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:49 AM   #5

I disagree and my testing has lead to diagree the extra 400mha makes a major difference especially when shooting action and I don;t want to have to suddeny change the batteries and miss a shit.

dave
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:03 AM   #6

My Powerex 2700 cells have consistently tested between 2700 and 2800 mAh.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:44 AM   #7

Many vendors provide 2900.
personally prefer new Sanyo - nearly zero (yeah, llike Li-Ion !! :-) self-discharging and VERY reliable for everyday use.
other options - depend usage. 4 example - in low temp conditions - better Varta battery or(ironically) acmepower.

Try to look on AA Li-Ion. many advantages, exept price. sadly, narrow choice at now - i see only unnamed "made in china"-labeled(don't recommend experiments w/this) batteries and no one charger, that capable re-charge AA Li-Ion.

[img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote