Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:25 AM   #1

Do I need to buy the Panasonic rechargeable battery or can I buy another brand that will work just as well for less money? If so do you recommend a certain brand? Thank you.
seusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:32 AM   #2

If you're referring to NiMH cells, you do not have to buy Panasonic cells. Personally, I highly recommend either Sanyo Eneloop cells, or if you want more capacity, Maha Powerex 2700 cells. You can't go wrong with either.

As far as a charger, I use the Maha C9000. If charging speed isn't important and you opt for the eneloop cells, you can get a eneloop 4 AA/Charger combo which does a decent job charging the eneloop cells.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:32 PM   #3

coppertrail wrote:
Quote:
If you're referring to NiMH cells, you do not have to buy Panasonic cells. Personally, I highly recommend either Sanyo Eneloop cells, or if you want more capacity, Maha Powerex 2700 cells. You can't go wrong with either.

As far as a charger, I use the Maha C9000. If charging speed isn't important and you opt for the eneloop cells, you can get a eneloop 4 AA/Charger combo which does a decent job charging the eneloop cells.
But a TZ3 doesn't use AA HiMH batteries!!!!

It uses proriety Li Ion.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:12 PM   #4

That's why the first word in my post was "if"
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:59 AM   #5

In the last year I have boughtthird-partyLi-ion batteries for a Casio camera (EX-Z750) and aNokia mobile phone dating from 2002 and both work well. Reputable camera shops in the UK stock a range of third-party replacement Li-ion batteries for many cameras. They look identical to the branded ones, apart from the labels.

I am surprised that it's worth copying so many different shapes and sizes. So I suspect they may actually come from the same factories, and it's only the labels that are different, rather like some supermarket own-brand cereals and coffee and so on. But I'm only guessing.

The phone battery, from a well-established market stall,was a direct replacement for an ailing Ni-MH battery, but the same chargers have, surprisingly, worked well for months now in constant heavy use. Presumably the control & safety circuitsare built into the battery or the phone. I bought thecamera battery as a spare because I kept forgetting to take the charging cradle whenI went away from home.

So if you trust the outlet, and you can go back and make a fuss in the event of problems, I see no reason to pay the typically exorbitant full price.

Note, however, that there have been a few problems reported in these forums with ineffective, possibly counterfeit, third-party replacements for Kodak KLIC-8000 batteries, though others have had good results from such replacements.

Good luck! Perhaps someone who really knows will reply here eventually. Why not try posting in the relevant camera forum round here as well, if you haven't done so already, and see if anyone has done it already?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote