Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 12, 2007, 5:42 AM   #1

Hello,

Can anyone please tell me that what the difference between different MAH batteries as I have got nikon coolpix L5 and I have "nikon EN-MH1 2500 MAH reghargeable batteries" which was in the package. no i want to buy more rechargeable batteries but counld not find same brand so i have to buy other brand so which MAH is compatible with Nikon Coolpix L5. my friend had a kodak camera of some model and when he got energizer 2000 mah rechargeable batteries then he got power fault in his camera and power supply was damage.. so he has to repair the camera... thats why i dont want to take any risk...

please reply soon as we have to travel some where and need extra pair of batteries.. also can u tell that the default charger "Battery Charger MH-71", which was in the camera pack ... do i charge other batteries with that charger???
hozaifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:27 AM   #2

Those are AA batteries right ?

If so you can use any AA nimh rechargeables, of any rating you like (the higher the better) and any brand, though obviously the really cheapbatteries from ebay are likely to be, umm, poor..

I have no idea re the included charger, but there is nothing to stop you using any other charger you may have already, including the fast 15min chargers commonly available or splash out on an intelligent charger that can charge and monitor individual cells.

A fast charger will typically reduce the lifetime and number of charges of your batteries due to the high temperatures the batteries rise to, but thats hardly a worry, who keeps rechargeables for more than a year.? :G

Nimh batteries discharge quickly even when not in use, some people quote up to4% a day is lost, so either remember to charge the day before use if not in use for a week or so, or buy the new style Nimh batteries such as Sanyo Enloops or Uniross Hybrios etc that come precharged and are said to hold more of their charge, ie they may still have 70%+ even after a full year of sitting around.

They can also use any normal charger you wish.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:54 PM   #3
Administrator

You can use third party AA batteries.

This page about batteries and chargers may help. It's got lots of information, as well as links to lots of different batteries and chargers:

Rechargeable Batteries

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:45 PM   #4

So u r saying that the damage that my friend had in his cameras power supply was not because of battery mah ????? ... yes im using AA batteries....

Thanks for your replies...
hozaifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 8:30 AM   #5
Administrator

I think that's unlikely. Now, he might have gotten a defective battery resulting in an incorrect voltage level causing a problem. Or, it may have been a coincidence. He may have even caused a problem swapping batteries without turning the camera off.

But, the mAh ratings are just representing the total capacity of the battery, not how much current the camera is pulling from one, and the voltage output from most name brand NiMH batteries is going to be very close.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 7:53 AM   #6

mAh is simply the capacity of the battery, not output. All standard NiMH cells operate at a working voltage of 1.2V, so you're not going to cause damage to a PS by using a higher capacity cell.

I've found the Powerex 2700 mAh and eneloop 2000 mAh cells to be the best performers.

As a rule of thumb, I charge my NiMH cells at .5C. I charge my 2000 mAh cells at a rate of 1000 mA and my 2700 mAh cells at 1400 mA.

Charging at too low of a rate can damage cells due to missed charge terminations.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote