Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:24 PM   #1

Hi All,

A few months ago, I bought a Samsung FE-220 and it worked decently until today. The battery is empty and when I put it in the charger, the status light blinks instead of being on during the charging process and off when done(that's how it should be). Well...what charging process? There is none. I kept it in for a about 30 minutes, but the cam still shows "battery empty".

The cam didn't fall or had any other problems. I can not get it back to the vendor as I live in Costa Rica and bought the cam in Canada (taxes here are nuts, I paid about 30% of the local prize!).

Any ideas if it's the charger or the battery and what else I could try except for trying to find a replacement?

Thx

Cyrus7b
cyrus7b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:16 PM   #2

What is a Samsung FE-220? Is it a camera? A battery? A charger? A cell phone? Sorry, but I never heard of that model. Where did you get it?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:20 PM   #3

Sorry for that. I was looking for samsung monitors the whole morning, it looks like it gotstuck in my head.

It's a OLYMPUS FE-220 and the battery a LI-42B

Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:42 PM   #4

Thought it might be something like that.

A blinking light may mean a battery fault. Since the camera is only a few months old, it should be covered under the warranty. Since you bought it out of country, that may complicate things. You might try calling Olympus customer service and asking for help.

Did you try using a different electrical outlet (on a different circuit)? Sometimes line voltage fluctuations can have an adverse effect on chargers. Check the contacts (on both the battery and the charger) for oxidation, dirt, etc. Try cleaning the contacts with a little alcohol on a swab.

Worst case scenario IMHO, would be to have to buy a new battery.

Good luck...let us know how you fare.

the Hun

Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:00 PM   #5

A cheerto the hun!

Ok, here's the scoop. Costa Rica is known for his power fluctuations and it destroyed already two amps and several pc parts in seven years. Last week my Logitech 5.1 System stopped working until this morning when everything was again ok with it for no reason.

I DID actually switch to a different power outlet in a different room and it was the same, but when I read the hun's recommendation, I tried another one in a room far away.....and yes, you guessed right, it is charging now!

Thanks a bunch!

Cyrus7b

PS: I should seriously consider buying a power filter? Agreed ;-)
Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:30 PM   #6

Glad to hear you found a solution. Some chargers seem more finicky than others. I have one charger that refuses to work on my generator, but works fine on a regular outlet. My other chargers don't have a problem with the generator.

A line conditioner/filter sounds like a great idea. Would probably pay for itself in...7 years (?)

the Hun