Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1

Travellers, be advised: beginning January 1 2008, passengers on US flights will no longer be allowed to carry loose lithium batteries in their checked luggage.

Passengers will be allowed check baggage with lithium batteries only if they are already installed in devices.

Batteries can be placed in carry-on baggage, so long as they are in clear plastic bags (limit 2 per passenger).

Original article here: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech...ss&oref=slogin

EDIT: Further reading suggests that non-rechargeable batteries may still be allowed under the same restrictions. See here: http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:29 AM   #2

Can anyone tell me if it effects rechargeable nickle metal hydride AA batteries. My father who worked for FAA and retired in 2003 can't tell me. I am planning a trip in March and planned to carry 5 sets of those AAs each set in their own plastic holder. From what I read it sounds like a loose loose situation for all pro photographers.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:18 AM   #3

This is for non-rechargeable lithium batteries. I am assuming this is not to include rechargeable batteries for cameras as far as what I have read.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:55 AM   #4

I may have been incorrect in my topic. Looking at DoT articles, it may seem that non-rechargeable lithium batteries are not banned after all. They would fall under the same restrictions as rechargeable lithium batteries.

From the DoT Safe Travel website:

Quote:
The following quantity limits apply to both your spare and installed batteries. The limits are expressed in grams of “equivalent lithium content.” 8 grams of equivalent lithium content is approximately 100 watt-hours. 25 grams is approximately 300 watt-hours:

- Under the new rules, you can bring batteries with up to 8-gram equivalent lithium content. All lithium ion batteries in cell phones are below 8 gram equivalent lithium content. Nearly all laptop computers also are below this quantity threshold.

- You can also bring up to two spare batteries with an aggregate equivalent lithium content of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram threshold. Examples of two types of lithium ion batteries with equivalent lithium content over 8 grams but below 25 are shown below.

- For a lithium metal battery, whether installed in a device or carried as a spare, the limit on lithium content is 2 grams of lithium metal per battery.
Almost all consumer-type lithium metal batteries are below 2 grams of lithium metal. But if you are unsure, contact the manufacturer!
I think I may have jumped the gun after reading the NYTimes article. It would seem most batteries would be fine; just don't bring too many. Apologies for the incorrect topic.

Link to the DoT Safe Travel website: http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:50 PM   #5

NiMH batteries should be ok since they aren't the ones that have been catching fire lately. There have been numerous reports of rechargeable Li-Ion batteries exploding or catching fire in laptops and cellphones. There also have been a number of recalls on Li-Ion battery recalls from computer and cellphone manufacturers.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:12 AM   #6

Right on, so, this lesson tells us to... what?... oh yeah!, I know!, stuff ALL your batteries inside of your camera before going on the plane, make SURE to jiggle the batteries around once they're in the camera if you don't have room, remember, moving them around inside of the camera and destroying the contacts, AND having to make your camera bigger, will always come out on the good side once your set to fly ....
god, I hate stupid rules on Flights, what's this suppose to prevent exactly?, were there too many people eating batteries so they decided Non-Rechargeable Lithium Batteries were the most harmfull?
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:29 AM   #7

See the thread....

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...840229#p840229
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:51 AM   #8

Thanks Alan, I got that as reference now.
Our jet has the same rules now too. There's been no incidents but you can never be to sure.

I hate how i've changed to an opposite perspective from my last post on this. hahahaha.
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:48 PM   #9

no, its just more government regulations to irritate us more. now that obama is in the white house expect more of the same until he leaves
stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
no, its just more government regulations to irritate us more. now that obama is in the white house expect more of the same until he leaves
Notice this thread was started 2 years before Obama took office.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote