Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:51 AM   #1

Hello everyone,

I eventually got decided and bought a Canon Powershot A720IS. Sadly I couldn't test it yet since I am having problems with the Ni-Mh batteries and charger the salesman told me to buy. The model is GB Powerbank Quick 2 with 4 "1800 " mah ni-mh batteries. The box said 6 hours of charge but I let them for 12 hours and the light is still red, telling me the charge isn't over yet. I switched them off through the night and tried to charge them this morning again, but I eventually stopped, thinking there is a problem ? Is it normal or should I give them back to the store ? I'm quite annoyed...

Plus I was wondering. Are 1800 ni-mh batteries adapted to my A720IS ? I don't really trust salesmen lol... :lol:
Waterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:46 AM   #2

It definitely sounds as though something is wrong with either the cells of the charger.

I would return them and invest in an eneloop 4 AA cell/charger combo pak. They are rated at 2000 mAh and have a very low self discharge rate.

If you want higher capacitiy cells, I suggest the Maha Powerex 2700 mAh cells and a decent charger.

You can't go wrong with the eneloop or Powerex cells, both top notch in my book.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:27 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your help. I was wondering whether such a long time of charge was normal ! I eventually gave up and I will bring back the charger and the battery tomorrow at the store. I hope they'll take them back

I am currently looking at the store's website and the only brands they have are Uniross, GB Powerbank (the ones I bought), Proline, Recyko. I am not sure we even have the brands you cited in my country (France), but I will definitely have a look in all the stores available here. If the brands you told me about are not available in that store I will try to have them reimbursed and I'll adress another store I read on several websites that there were chargers charging quickly (in about 3 hours ?). That would be awesome

As for the rating, you must be right, maybe I should buy something higher than 1800 mah. Only a few informations are given in my Canon Powershot A720IS "Getting started guide", they don't say what rating they recommend for this camera ?! They only advise either AA traditionnal alcaline batteries or batteries of the Canon brand NB 3AH. But I have no idea what their rating is :!:I am a real novice when it comes to digital cameras lol. I can't wait to have new batteries to test mine and to take pictures !!! :G
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:46 AM   #4

When I'm not traveling, I keep the eneloop cells in my camera. Although they have a lower capacity than the Powerex cells, they have a slower self discharge. After 1 year, eneloop cells will still retain appx 85% of their charge!!

When I travel and will be taking lots of pictures, I go to the Powerex 2700 cells and use the eneloops as a backup.

I recently went to AZ for a vacation. I took over 800 shots with my S3 on a single set of Powerex 2700 cells and they still had 33% remaining!!

Either way, you can't go wrong with either cells.

I would advise against traditional Alkaline cells as they tend to deplete very quickly in high drain digital cameras.

Stick to the eneloop and Powerex cells and you'll find that you have a reliable power source for your camera
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:05 AM   #5

Hello :-)

I have bad news : I went to the store where I had bought my Canon Powershot A720IS and my GB Powerbank set of 1 charger and 4 1800 nimh batteries, but the people there were very disagreable and told me I could only have a new set of the same brand, with the same charger & batteries. I tried to insist to have them reimbursed and invest in a better charger with more powerful batteries, but they wouldn't let me :!:I was really annoyed and almost angry :PI put my new set on charge 20 minutes ago and now I'm waiting to see whether the light gets green or not... It better had to :blah:
Old Jan 3, 2008, 2:44 AM   #6

Is it "GB Powerbank" or "GP Powerbank"? If the latter, this is a good brand of batteries.

Have used them, and still do, and find them very acceptable over the couple of years I have used them - in cameras, in razors, etc.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote