Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 8, 2003, 1:45 PM   #1

Default Battery Suggestion for Nikon D100??

Hi All,
New to digital photography and am buying a Nikon D100. Amongst all of the peripheral junk to buy (Mem cards, readers, etc), I need to figure out what kind of battery to buy?

Rechargeable? NIMH? Lithium? Battery packs? AC Adapter?

What will I need? What is hype? What will I never use (AC Adapter?) ?

Not knowing how much choice the D100 will suck up, I would appreciate some guidance as to what I should buy. I want to do this one time and try to do it right (though cash is king!).

I take about 100 pictures a month - so I am not a pro - though the designated family picture taker......

Thanks all
Eric
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:18 PM   #2

If you only take 100 a month, then you probably don't need anything beyond the battery it comes with. The battery life on that thing is amazing. I would not go for an external battery pack or the grip (which can hold AA batteries) unless you want its other features (more buttons, portrate shutter button, larger feel - fits in large hands better.)

If you really wanted to be careful, you could get another battery, just like the one it came with (the EN-EL3, I believe.) But I'm not sure you really need it.

You might want to ask this in the Nikon DSLR forum as well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 10:03 PM   #3

You can buy a Nikon original EN-EL3 or a Power 2000 EN-EL3 compatible. Other manufacturers have similar batteries, but Power 2000 seems to have the only one rated at 1500mAh compared to all others at 1400mAh, including Nikon's own. I plan on getting this to try out, as in some situations I do end up needing spares, but do not want the added weight of the grip. The EN-EL3 lasts a long time, and is not affected by the cold nearly as much as NiMH's.

Eric S, you can look up a Power 2000 battery for your 10D, as they also make a 1500mAh battery compatible with the BP-511:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...733&is=REG
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 10:26 PM   #4

In fact, I just got one but it wasn't that brand. I know they say that max charge isn't reached until after 2-3 charges, but its capacity before max charge was really frightening low. Since I hurt my knee, I've been unable to get out and test its true capacity... but I'm a little scare of how well it will perform.

I read around before buying them. Some people love them, other say they hold almost no charge after 6 months. Here's hoping I got a good one. I don't see the receipt here give the name... damn.

Eric
Old Sep 10, 2003, 12:44 AM   #5

Some people think that Li-Ion batteries are like NiMH and just leave them in the charger thinking it's okay to leave it in a trickle charge. It's NOT! As soon as you notice/remember that your batteries are fully charged, take them out of the charger. My father used to leave his BP-511 batteies charging all the time, and now they are on their last leg. One of them wont hold a charge anymore, the other has very little left.

Eric S., was that battery's brand Lenmar by any chance?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 3:02 PM   #6

I'd recommend buying a spare battery, as there's nothing worse than running out or power in the middle of a shoot. I've never had that problem because I've always had a spare, but I overestimate the amount of power I have left in the first battery quite often. I think "I haven't used it that much since the last charge, I've got ages left" only to find it dying after 20 shots or whatever.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 9:22 PM   #7

marokero

Very interesting. I didn't know that about Li-Ion. Thanks for that very important info. Learn something new every day, and some times its good info!

Yes, in fact it Lenmar. I read mixed things about them online. Some loved them and got good results, others said they died in 6 months. Turned out it was the only brand the company sold where I purchased some other things... so I didn't have a lot of choice. It was worth the risk to combine the purchases.

Eric