Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 2, 2008, 8:11 PM   #1

I now have 2 flashes that use AA batterys, so I'm looking to go rechargeable. I use a flash occasionally for gatherings, but primarily will be doing macro with 2 flashes where I will be taking 20+ shots in short order. Also I use off camera fill flash for wildlife. And since it's a hobby for me, I might go weeks without using a flash at all.
I understand the advantage of the newer technology used for the Sanyo Eneloops, but wonder if I'd be better off with them or higher capacity batteries? I guess I'm primarily interested number of shots.
So how long do your batteries last in your flash? If you are interested, list the flash, the battery, and approximate number of flashes.
Also, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanx,
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:12 AM   #2

Getting data on number of flashes per battery set will not be an accurate measure because they are dependent on many factors, as you know:
- rate of discharge per shot (full, half, etc.)
- rating of rechargeable batteries
- type of flash

What I suggest you consider are the pros of rechargeables:
- cheaper in the long pull than disposables
- available anytime (no need to look for a store to buy new disposables)

As to Eneloops (which are called hybrid NiMH rechargeables), they are great when you don't always use the flash or camera but want batteries ready. The normal NiMH batts self-discharge over time. The hybrids have a much, much lower self-discharge rate. If memory serves me right, a normal NiMH from full charge will be reduced to something like 20% of charge in 1 year but a hybrid will be at about 85% - you can search the Internet for the exact %.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:16 PM   #3

Battery life? I have Quest 1300 Ni-MH batteries that I recharge with their CH-1000 charger. I'm a long time pro photojournalist. I use the batteries in my flash units. I have no idea how to say how much I use them. It's just a daily tool. I use the same equipment if I go to family reunion, at Christmas and so on. I've used them a lot.

How long have I had these? I'm confused because it seems they are over 5 years old. I don't see how that can be but I know I've never replaced them. I've never done anything special with them. I just use them and charge them when they need it.

. . . but over 5 years? I wonder how long others have used their batteries?

Just curious.

bamakodaker
bamakodaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 7:29 AM   #4

Ron,

To answer your question...yes and no. You are definitely a candidate for the newer technology, low self-discharge NiMH batteries. I use Eneloops, and they're great - I have two different cameras. One I use frequently, the other only occasionally. Both are always ready to use, whenever I need them, and the Eneloops provide hundreds of shots per charge. They would go well in your flash units.

On the other hand, if you plan on having a session in which you will be firing off hundreds of shots at a time, you may want to consider a high capacity, regular NiMH battery, such as Sanyo or Maha Powerex 2700 mAh NiMH's. These will give you more shots for your outing. However, if you plan on just letting the flash unit sit around for several weeks between shoots, then you won't get as many (due to self-discharge).

My recommendation to you is, buy a couple of sets of both. Keep the Eneloops in your flash units, so you are ready to fire at any time, and give a top-off charge to your high capacity batteries just before your multi-shot sessions. They're certainly cheap enough, and one charger will charge both types.

Regarding bama's question regarding battery life (as opposed to battery capacity), I've been using NiMH batteries for over 4 years, and I have yet to have to dispose of a single battery. Most of these batteries claim a 500 to 1000 recharge lifespan. Consider this...assuming only a 500 recharge lifespan, and you recharge your batteries once every other week, they will last almost ten years. Even if they only last half that long, that's not too bad, IMO.

the Hun

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 7:59 AM   #5

If you need the flash to fire rapidly back to back shots then you shoud look at one of those high capacity belt backs and a cord to attach it to your flash ifrecycke time is gonna be an issue. All the sports photographers around her use them and sware by them.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I for one use impact 2900mha batteries in my sunpack383 flash and they work good. it does take almost 10 to 11 saeconds between flashes for the power to rectcyvle and according to others I have spoken with it doesn't matter what kind of AA rechargeables i.e. mha or brand the recycle time is still an issue. If I don't use the flash often in a 2 week period I just top off the batteries in my charger and put them back in the flash.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:14 AM   #6

surfnron wrote:
Quote:
If you are interested, list the flash, the battery, and approximate number of flashes.
Also, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanx,
Ron
Here's something from the Canon Speedlight 430EX spec sheet:

Number of Flashes

Approx. 200 to 1,400, with AA-size Alkaline Batteries manufactured within the last three months or AA-size Ni-MH fully charged batteries.

Recycling Time

Approx. 0.1 to 3.7 seconds (AA-size Alkaline Batteries)/0.1 to 2 seconds (AA-size Ni-MH batteries)
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:06 PM   #7

You have better buy batteries from the leading manufacturer , I would like give you some advice, hope it is useful,

What causes short lifetime of battery? How to prolong the lifetime of battery?
1)Reason:
a.Charger or electro circuit can't be fit for the battery.
b.Overcharge and overdischarge, etc.
c.Battery can't comply with the charging requirement
2)Solution:
a.Use the original charger.
b.Charge the battery after it automatically powers off , then full charge the battery.
c.Avoid erroneous usage of battery, such as heavy pressure, short circuit, fall off and so on.
andypan is offline   Reply With Quote