Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 4, 2008, 1:31 PM   #11

Everyone should remember that it's less than 5 years since we were all working with Ni-MH cells holding less than 1600mAh. Bigger mAh just means they last longer, otherwise they're essentially the same.

However, 'hybrid' technology Ni-MH that hold the charge well (such as Eneloops & Uniross Hybrio & their competitors) are a breakthrough, regardless of the mAh rating.

Carry two sets, one in the camera and one charged, and you'll never be caught short.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:04 PM   #12

That's true, I carry around more than 2, haha, I carry around double that, 4, Two sets of nexxtech recharagble, one of 4 1500mAH, another one of 4 1800mAH. Then two sets of duracell, one of 4 1700mAH, and another 4 2650mAH.
hahaha.
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:38 AM   #13

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum, which I found while looking for info about the new Duracell ActiveCharge 'low self-discharge' (LSD) batteries. I've also just discovered here some others called Eneloop by Sanyo.

I'm hesitant about buying new batteries as I already have quitea few Ni-mh batteries which aren't that old, but are usually flat whenever I need to use my camera.

If I buy eneloop or Duracell ActiveCharge batteries, will I still be able to use my existing chargers, or will they need their own speciall chargers?

johntob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 3:41 AM   #14

johntob wrote:
Quote:
...If I buy eneloop or Duracell ActiveCharge batteries, will I still be able to use my existing chargers, or will they need their own speciall chargers?
Yes, your existing charger will work for any sort of Ni-MH cell, either the newer low self-discharge ones, or the older type which self-dicharge more rapidly.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 4:47 AM   #15

johntob wrote:
Quote:
... are usually flat whenever I need to use my camera.

If I buy eneloop or Duracell ActiveCharge batteries, will I still be able to use my existing chargers, or will they need their own speciall chargers?
1. If having flat batteries when you need them is a big problem, the new hybrid or low-discharge NiMH batteries is the answer. Manufacturers claim that after 1 year of storage and non-use, they lose only 15% of their charge. Just buy the more known brands like Sanyo Eneloops, Uniross, Duracell, etc.

2. I've used a couple of brands of the hybrid NiMH and charged them on an old Uniross NiMH quick charger (2 hours max charging time) without any problems at all.

Hope this helps.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 6:53 AM   #16

Thanks for that. It's not so bad then, only having to buy the new LSD batteries.

I've just ordered4 Sanyo eneloops.

I have three AA chargers:

'Uniross Sprint 1-2h' , 'Encore Fast Charger' , and an 'Energizer Compact Charger'

johntob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:24 PM   #17

It depends on how you use it...

if you are going to be running the camera all day, taking thousands of pictures in one day, get the Duracell 2650mAh, but if you're going to take a few dozen here, wait a few weeks here, another hundred there... go with the Duracell precharged, eneloop or Rayovac hybrid.

There are two versions of Duracell Precharged. One has a black top and made in China, other one has a white top, made in Japan and latter is alleged to be eneloop OEM.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:29 PM   #18

I have Energizer rechargables. when I bought the charger, I recived 6 batteries AA size. 4 2450 and 2 2500 MaH

The charger I have isn't a quick charge but it takes a while to charge the batteries.

I gave 2 batteries to my brother, and I keep 2 in my camera and 2 in their holder and simply rotate the baterries whenever I need to.
photo op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:44 AM   #19

itsme000 wrote:
Quote:
if you are going to be running the camera all day, taking thousands of pictures in one day, get the Duracell 2650mAh, but if you're going to take a few dozen here, wait a few weeks here, another hundred there... go with the Duracell precharged, eneloop or Rayovac hybrid.
A very short and simple way to determine which type of battery you need - between the hybrids and the standard NiMH.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 5:19 AM   #20

G'day all

In my motorhome I travel Australia for 7-8 months each year
The vehicle & its cameras, torches, camera-flashguns, tranny radios etc etc run on AA batteries as much as possible. Amongst other rechargeables from other suppliers, I have some 1-yr old Eneloop 1900/2000mAh plus a set of 18-month old Duracell 1800mAh that the Pentax gives a hammering.

My current photo-fetish is stratrails - shooting 30second exposures on burst for 2-3-4 hours and stacking the 300-400-500 images into a single final image
The Eneloop batteries will run the pentax for 6-hrs of continuous shooting; the Duracell will run the Pentax for 3hours
Q.E.D.

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote