Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:29 PM   #1

I really would like your opinion on this charger as I recently purchased it and it works flawlessly. I have found that the batteries, Eneloops, are only slightly warmer than in my old Duracell 6 hour charger. It has a cooling fan built-in.
It has 4 independent channels and a trickle charge after the fast charge.
My old charger used to give me batteries that were unevenly charged and caused me to get only about 150 shots per use. This one charges them all at 1.39 volts after the 15 minute charge and even reconditioned an old battery I had lying around because it would not take a full charge with the Duracell.
BUT, I am concerned regarding all the comments saying that 15 minute chargers kill the batteries so your opinions will be very helpful

gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:42 AM   #2

Excellent!, one of my friends has this, and, the only problem is, the fact of the on-board fan, the charger gets REALLY HOT down under, like inside of the unit?, so then the fan cuts in (or, suppose to), on some of the chargers it's been reported that the fan HAVEN'T cut in, therefore leading to it catching on fire, very few reports of that though, I think maybe there as some in a stock that had faulty wiring, hence the fan not working, no reports within the past 6 months, so, they must have fixed the problem.

As for "faster charges = killing the batteries", well, that's true, the faster the battery charges, some of the charge doesn't stick to the battery, prolongued instant charges could pretty much kill the battery, there was a 4 minute charger introduced once asa tester, I believe you could onlycharge it 20-30 times beforethe battery didn't accept any more charges... but that was a year ago,I wouldn't say you'll have to worry about the battery until, 200th charge?, I wouldsay they've got some revisions done to the batterys to make them last longer, after all, this IS 2008!

Happy Snapping! :|
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:17 AM   #3

Hello Gerrydee,

15 minute charging is hard on cells. However, you can still get reasonable life from them, and you won't have to spend a lot of time charging.

I have run a couple of tests on the Energizer 15 minute charger. The 2500 mAh cells were pretty much dead after 150 cycles. The 2000 mAh cells were still going strong after 150 cycles.

I would suggest that if you are going to regularly use 15 minute charging, you should consider using lower capacity cells. Still, 150 cycles is not the end of the world...

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:19 AM   #4

Exilmo, yes I believe they have improved it since they were first launched. My fan kicks on immediately when I insert batteries and the charger does not get hot anywhere even under it.

Tom, I only use the Eneloops 2000 mAh cells. It is a smart charger so the cells only get slightly warmer than in my old Duracell. I only re-charge about 20 times a year so if I got 200 charges out of my batteries they would last around 10 years. Battery prices are going down all the time so I agree with you that the time saved is worth having less lifespan.
And, who knows, with the Neo-therm 2 technology built into this charger, maybe it won't affect lifespan more than a slow charger either? It measures the charge and the temperature at the same time. I think that's why they don't get very warm.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:47 AM   #5

The fan kicks in immediately when you put in the batteries? that's good!.
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote