Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:58 AM   #1

what is the best way to preserve a li-ion battery? should I recharge only when completely drained or not? is it important not to leave in the charger for more than is needed for charging?
doto41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 3:36 AM   #2

doto41 wrote:
Quote:
..........should I recharge only when completely drained or not? is it important not to leave in the charger for more than is needed for charging?
(a) They're tolerant of top-up charging.

(b) Your charger should deal with the second question, and detect an end-point. They need dedicated chargers, designed for Li-ion. Both the batteries & chargers have various safety features built in.

Everything you need to know, and more, about Li-ion batteries is in Isidor Buchmann's excellent http://www.batteryuniversity.com .

The point of most interest is that they don't last for many years like Ni-MH. They have a finite lifetime, whether you use them or not. Spares will last longest if stored part-charged in a refrigerator. That said, I'm still getting good occasional use out of two Sony Li-ion camcorder batteries purchased 2nd-hand with their cameras too many years ago, and stored at ambient temperature with the camera.

Currently I use two 'rechargeable CR-V3' Li-ion batteries most heavily, in rotation, in my main still camera, and just hope for the best.

Good luck! They're the right tool for the job with many of today's power and energy-hungry gadgets, but Ni-MH rechargeables still have their place for durability & longevity.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:18 PM   #3

I've read that batteries (e.g. NiMH) will loose their charge while sitting in a camera even if the camera is powered off. Is this the same for DSLR Li-on batteries like the Nikon D2X EN-EL4/4a?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote