Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 20, 2003, 1:34 PM   #11
lg

Default A plan to keep you in fresh batteries...

I'd recommend coming up with a systematic recharging plan, so that all of your batteries are used and charged about the same number of times. Let's assume you have three sets of batteries for your camera.

First, LABEL EACH SET!!! If you've ever tossed a dead battery in a camera bag pocket only to find out it contained freshly charged batteries, you'll learn why REAL fast!

Next, keep one set in the trickle charger (set A), a set in your camera bag (B), and a set in your camera (C).

Simply make sure you use your camera at least every couple of weeks, and rotate from A to B to C after each usage. Know that if you let 30 days go by without recharging, you need to charge all sets of batteries.

If you have a critical photo shoot coming up, the advise to top up all batteries is excellent.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 2:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_the_k
At what point would you veterans decide:

1) the charger isn't working (It does light up, but it has only one indicator light, not one for each cell.)
2) I have bogus batteries
3) Never use Maxell again
4) Something wrong with the camera.

My next step I guess is to experiment with the LiIon that came with the CP2100. How many shots should I get from that, if there's nothing wrong with the unit?
I think it's choice #2, but also could be #1. The included non-rechargeable lithium (CR-V3 type, not to be confused with lithium-ion which is rechargeable) should last for many many pictures, depending on LCD and flash usage. Also, if the firmware of your Coolpix 2100 isn't 1.1, then chances are that the camera is also shutting off before the batteries are actually low in charge. Check out these links for some battery info, and maybe a place to get new batteries:
www.ripvan100.com
www.thomas-distributing.com
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 6:29 PM   #13

Thanks for the detailed answer, and the crucial distinction between CRV-3 and true LiIons.

Camera worked swell with CRV-3. And after the third cycle of charging, the batteries seem to be working OK (I've only shot 25 pix since, but that's a lot better than 2!)

I checked my firmware
camera off & twist mode dial to SETUP
depress & hold MENU button
turn camera on
read firmware version on LCD

and it's cool.

I guess the answer is: one has to cycle the batteries at least 3 times before they hold a reasonable charge. :shock:
jesse_the_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:56 PM   #14

Well I certainly find this all very interesting indeed. I purchased an Olympus C5050 at the end of January 2003. I charged the batteries that came with it in the provided charger, and started using the camera. I had expected to use the camera a lot this summer, but "Real Life" got in the way. I've taken about 80 photo's in total so far. Here it is September 21 2003, and I've just had to replace the batteries with a second set I bought and charged last week. Now I know that the C5050 is supposed to be frugal with its power usage, but have I gotten off lucky here? Or is it just that I haven't used the camera much? (I do not use that display screen on the back of the camera.) :?:
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 1:05 AM   #15

Default Something to remember is...

The first cycle of the batterys inital charging is usless. You should charge them the first time and then use something to discharge them (I put them in my 285HV flash & shoot them at full power about 30 times) & then recharge them.

Before I know I'm going to shoot, I also "top off" all my batteries prior to shooting & shooting a Minolta 7i, I never had to go to a second set unless I was close to 500-600 images.

Battery brands make a difference too. I always used Sanyo 1850-Mah's or better (they make Energizer's too) & never had problems with them. Wal-Mart has them in the 2100-Mah version now & if you charge them correctly the first 2 times, they should work great.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 3:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_the_k
...And after the third cycle of charging, the batteries seem to be working OK (I've only shot 25 pix since, but that's a lot better than 2!)

I guess the answer is: one has to cycle the batteries at least 3 times before they hold a reasonable charge. :shock:
If you want the best performance form your batteries, buy a smart charger, those with 4 LEDs - indepentant 4 channels charging with individual cut off. You'll notice a great difference. I'm extremely happy with mine now compare with previous ones - timer based and single channel.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 2:50 PM   #17

All I know is that what they say that it takes a few charges/complete drains to get the batteries to their full potential seems to be 100% true. I used the 1700mAh batteries that came with my camera (c750uz) for the first couple weeks of ownership by themselves and then bought a Maha 204 that came with 8 2200mAh AA's. I noticed that the first few times using the 2200mAh batteries they lasted a decent amount less than the 1700mAh Oly batteries I had been using. At this point the Maha's had only been completely drained and charges once or twice while the Oly's were into the double digit's.

Last week when I went out hiking I brought my usual hiking setup which is a set of 2200mAh Maha's in my headlamp and the other set and the Oly batteries for the camera. I had the other Maha's in the camera and over the 7-8 hours I was out (well past sunset) I managed to fill my 512mb xD card completely, the 256mb xD card I also have both with what worked out to be about 60 tiff's and 80 jpegs all while using the lcd and not turning the camera off usually between shots...so sometimes it sat in standbye mode till it turned itself off after 5 minutes. When I got back to my car I scrolled through the pictures and decided to take some shots of the moon on the 16mb xD card the camera came with.

When I got home I popped the Maha's out to drain/charge them and put the Oyl's into the camera... It took almost 3 hours to discharge the batteries before it switched over to charging mode. The Maha204 charger I have draws 240mAh when discharging the batteries so the batteries still had almost 1/3rd of a charge even after all the use I put them through!

I figure just on an educated questimate on my part that this is a 2x increase over when I first used the batteries, so for anyone not pleased with their batteries please give it about 10 full discharges/recharges before you pass judgement. Just my recommendation.... :P
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 3:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmckay
it takes a few charges/complete drains to get the batteries to their full potential seems to be 100% true.
My "Quest BK1" charger (UK) has a button to push to initiate discharge before charge if desired. If this is held down for 5 seconds it starts a 'formation charge' or 'deep condition charge' cycle, intended for brand new batteries, which discharges & charges 3 times.

This seems a useful facility, and I'm surprised other upmarket chargers don't offer it.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote