Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:34 AM   #1

Okay, I hope this is not a newbie question that gets asked all the time (and I did do many searches), but this site has been my Bible of information in making up my mind on which new digital camera I wanted (the array and selection of digicams is truly bewildering). I wanted a Sony Cyber-shot, but the ones I wanted were out of my price range and included only the EVF, which I don't care for as I'm used to ‘old school' 35MM cameras with an optical viewfinder. I ‘settled' for the Canon PowerShot A720IS, but it seems to be a great bang for the buck camera, and Steve's bottom line is very good, and it has the great optical viewfinder (I hope this trend ends soon of not including a regular optical viewfinder, as the EVF in my price range doesn't give me time to frame my next shot).

Now onto the reason I finally registered and jumped in. I have an old battery charger that charges both Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries (all sizes). It's a CC-4 Again & Again Battery Charger I got from Harris Poll Online several years ago for filling out surveys. Will it charge the new higher capacity 2500mAh or 2700mAh cell Eneloop, Uniross Hybrio, etc. batteries? I found this on the bottom of my charger (the Again & Again) : Output: DC 2X (2.8V/120mA, 9.8V/11mA). I have been reading lots of post, and I'm very ignorant of what you guys and ladies are talking about, but I'd love to learn. Will this charger do the trick, or do I need to go ahead and spring for the MaHa's MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger/Analyzer? I ask because I want to get the best shots I can of my first Grandchild, Ethan Isaiah. My old Kodak EasyShare CX 6230 2MP camera took great pictures of him for the past 9 months, but I felt it was time for a new camera - and besides, my Stepdaughter finally begged me out of it. And since Ethan is now very mobile, I needed a camera that could ‘keep up with him' without blurry pictures!!

Sorry for the lengthy first post, but I just want to find out what the experts can share with me, as I love to learn about my hobbies, digicams being one…but I hadn't considered battery chargers nor cell technology and output, but it seems I have a lot to learn. Thank you for your very valuable time, expertise and attention, Prankmonkey
Prankmonkey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2008, 4:07 PM   #2

Hello Prankmonkey,

I think you should retire your old charger and get the C9000.

The battery manufacturers recommend charging at two basic rates. 0.1C (which would be 250 mA for your 2500 mAh cells) for a timed charge of 16 hours, or in the range of 0.5 - 1.0C (which is 1250 - 2500 mA for your 2500 mAh cells) when using charge termination algorithms.

Your old charger doesn't meet these requirements, and it seems that it can only charge pairs of cells. You will be better off with a charger that can charge individual cells.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Tom, and sharing your expertise. Looks like I'll send the Again & Again to the trash bin and buy a C9000. I assume any of the Eneloop and Uniross batteries of the 2500mAh or 2700mAh capacities would suffice? Also, what other brands of batteries have you guys and ladies had luck with for digicams as well as other ordinary, household goods (remotes, clocks, etc.)? Thank you all again for your valuable time, expertise and guidance, Leonard

Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:21 AM   #4

The C9000 is perfect for charging eneloop and other LSD cells.

Myself, I stick with 2 brands of AA NiMH cells: eneloop and Powerex 2700 mAh. I've found these 2 to be the best among those cells I've used over the years.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:54 AM   #5

"Myself, I stick with 2 brands of AA NiMH cells: eneloop and Powerex 2700 mAh. I've found these 2 to be the best among those cells I've used over the years."

I used powerex batteries from 2001 - 2005 as the only battery brand i would use. Then in 2006 a set refushed to charge and I got a set of energizers from the grocery store that worked out well for me. End up with 2 sets within a short time. In 2007 I retired all my old batteries and got 2900mha Impact brand from bhphotovideo that seem to be the best batteries so far.

I still use an older version of the C9000 (that I have had since 2002) and a newer duracell charger that Krogers was getting rid of at $8.99. if I had to replace my charger(s) tomorrow I would get the C9000.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:46 PM   #6

I have used Nexxtech rechargables, until now, now I have Duracelll Rechargables, I was going to get some eneloops but never got around to it.
Exilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:44 AM   #7

Thank you everyone who has responded, I certainly need the guidance. I'll be buying the Eneloop's prepack off eBay (which someone bought at Costco I guess), which includes the Sanyo battery charger. I can't afford the C9000 at the moment, but hope to have it in my arsenal within the month. The prepack of Eneloop's includes a nice blue travel/storage case for the Sanyo charger, 8 AA cells, 4 AAA cells, as well as C and D inserts to charge those type batteries as well.

coppertrail, are the Powerex 2700's slow discharge, and if not, how do they compare to the Eneloop's you use please?

photo 5, are the 2900mha Impact brand batteries slow discharge as well, and if not, how are they better than the Powerex's, in your opinion? Is it the higher 2900 mha rating?

Thank you all again, and the C9000 is going to be in my home within a month, Lord willing, but the deal I found on eBay was too good to pass up, as the seller has excellent feedback on the same item and has a feedback rating of 99.0% Positive, with 478 transactions. He still has 13 left. If this is against the rules moderator, please delete, but here is a link to the auction (I have nothing to do with this seller, I'm just an eBay junkie and ran across this excellent deal): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=002

Again, thank you all for the excellent feedback, I look forward to your replies if you'd be so kind, Leonard
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:36 AM   #8

the impact batteries

1.) the 2900mha last longer in my camera than the powerex batteries every did do to the mha being the highest capacityI was able to find. i want a setr of batteries that lasted the longest when i began replacing them last year. I shoot a lot of action stuff like fires, auto accidents, resacues etc and its very inconvenant to change batteries at times (as you miss the peak action)......

2.) The impact batteries seem to be able to hold a charge for up to 3 weeks vs 2 weeks of the powerex

3.) Not sure why but the impact brand batteries seem to charge just as fast as the powerex batteries even though they are 2900mha vs 2300mha

I generally get around 500 shots per set of batteries in my camera or 120 in the sunpack 383 flash I use. Also I was able to shoot a full high School football game inculding half time marching band on 2 sets of fully charged batteries. I used single auto focus (should have used continous) and used the eye piece view finder vs LCD screen.

dave

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote