Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:30 AM   #1

I just purchased a Panasonic LS-75 and it says to use oxyride battries. Can use AA Lithium instead? I think that these are unique to Panasonic and the specs say I can also use 2 x AA NiMH rechargable. I travel and don't want to worry about taking a charge and an adaptor. If I can not use AA Lithium than I don't want to keep the camera and it's getting close to my limit of time to return it. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
canders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:25 AM   #2

unless you plan to carry several sets of batteries when you travel any-which-way you slice the pie your gonna sooner or later need a charger when your on the road

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:14 AM   #3

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your quick response.So it sounds like I CAN use AA Lithium even though it doesn't list them in the specs. If using the AA Lithium (non recharge) wont hurt the camera then I'll keep the camera. I just don't want to be stuck with having to buy a Panasonic battery and since the specs didn't mention that I could use Lithium AA's then I was afraid I'd damage the camera.

Thanks,

Connie
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:00 PM   #4

Hello Connie,

If you use the Energizer AA Lithium cells, you can expect them to last around 4 times as long as the Oxyride cells. Both maintain a high voltage under load, but the Lithium cells last longer.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:17 PM   #5

no it won't damage the camera but I'd carry a spare set or two when you travel

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:20 AM   #6

Thanks so much for your reply. Interesting that the lithiums will last longer then the one Panasonic specified to use .

Now that I know that I CAN use "normal", easy to find AA's I'll keep the camera. I don't mind carrying spares and can always buy a few if I need to I just didn't want to lug a converter/charger or be in the middle of Manchu Picchu and need propriarty batteries. I had a Kodak early in the digital era and it had to have specific battery and the replacement never would hold a charge and it cost almost $30.00.

I shall pack my camera, a few spare AA Lithium and plan to shoot lots of great pics in the Galapagos.

THANKS- Connie
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:27 AM   #7

Hi again,

I'll pack a few extras (as permitted by TSA) and travel knowing that I can easily pick up a few more AA Lithiums if needed.

Just didn't want to damage the camera or be stuck unable to find them in S. America, and have to pay a fortune for them like I did with my first digital. This is my 3rd digital and with each one I've learned what I did and didn't like about them. Propriarity batteries is one of them as are cameras that require AAA. Last year in Scandnavia I had a hard time finding AAA's and never saw lithium AAA's which would of been my first choice. I went through about 5 sets of alkaline AAA's and didn't use the camera that much. My friend took hundreds of shots with one AA lithium battery change in the whole 3 weeks.

Thanks oodles,

Connie
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:56 AM   #8

I have the same issue. I bought a Pansonic LS75 for my daughter. She does not want to deal with rechargeable AA's so the Energiser E2 lithium batteries would be perfect for her. I'm worried, though, about damaging the camera.

Has anyone had any experience using AA lithium batteries in a Panasonic camera (or any camera)? Have there been any problems with overheating, the camera breaking down, etc.?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote