Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 22, 2003, 2:26 PM   #11

:P :P :!:

Hi Mr. Battery

I got my CR-V3 Rechargeable and LOVE IT! So far I have taken about 15-20 photos with the screen and have left the camera on for 15 minutes straight and I haven't even got the half battery sign or the low battery. I am so siked.....I am done waisting money now, and nothing beats that. I am very pleased with this battery and can't wait to keep enjoying more shooting with no worries or headaches!

Thanks so much for offering this wonderful replacement battery.
Karen
itisme1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 3:45 PM   #12

Default Nothing Makes Me Happier Than Seeing a Happy Camper!

Dear Karen,

You are welcome. Nothing Makes Me Happier Than Seeing a Happy Camper!

I am really glad that you like your Rechargeable RCR-V3 Li-ion battery. From what I know, your RCR-V3 should give you 100’s of repeatable high performance services like what you have experienced on your first use.

As I mentioned, RCR-V3 is not for every cameras. But, if one likes the performance of disposable CR-V3, want a rechargeable solution so he or she can save money, and of course the camera must be able to accept CR-V3 batteries, then the Rechargeable RCR-V3 is definite a good choice.

To me, one shouldn’t have to worry about if the batteries will be “on strike” when he or she tries preserve those great moments. I am sure everyone would appreciate a product that offers the benefit of rechargeables with the performance that outshines any other rechargeables but without the "side effects".

Happy Memories!
MrBattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 2:47 AM   #13

Default RCR-V3 voltage question

Hi Steve and MrBattery,

I recently purchased two Power Vision RCR-V3 batteries here in Beijing, China for use with my Pentax *ist D digital SLR which takes CR-V3s and AAs. Haven't seen this thread until today, I have a question regarding the voltage of the RCR-V3s. If the output voltage of one RCR-V3 is 3.6 - 3.7V (my own tests showed 3.7V and even higher when they were freshly recharged), using two of them on the *ist D will be 7.2 - 7.4V. That's a lot higher than 6V from two CR-V3s or 4.8V from four Ni-Mh AAs. Will this cause any damage or problem with the camera? I prefer the weight and the ability to keep its charge of the RCR-V3s but am a bit worried that they might cause problems. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could provide some insights. Many thanks in advance!

Best,

Peter
Peter Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:40 PM   #14

Default cr-v3 v NiMH aa's

Personally I think the gain from using the cr-v3s is small and not
worth the extra cost. On my camera the cr-v3's lasted about
5 minutes longer then my 2300mah NiMH. The only plus is that
the cr-v3's don't discharge over time like NiMH.
jenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 6:44 AM   #15

Default Re: cr-v3 v NiMH aa's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenk
Personally I think the gain from using the cr-v3s is small and not worth the extra cost. On my camera the cr-v3's lasted about 5 minutes longer then my 2300mah NiMH. The only plus is that the cr-v3's don't discharge over time like NiMH.
Guess you never shot in cold temperatures...in those conditions, lithiums can last twice as long as the NiMhs. Just think that when you put two NiMHs together you only get 2.4volts versus the CR-V3's 3volts or higher.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:42 AM   #16

Default Voltage of RCR-V3

Dear Peter,

When I first got my hands on the RCR-V3 batteries, I also noticed that the voltage I measured from the battery with a multi-meter is higher than what's rated. After talking to the manufacturer I realized that there’s nothing to worry about.

Since RCR-V3 is a Li-ion battery, their nature/nominal voltage is 3.6V or 3.7V. When fully charged, Li-ion’s voltage will reach about 4.2V with a minimum voltage around 3 volts when fully discharged. In order to take full advantage of the Li-ion technology, the RCR-V3 is designed to charge like a normal Li-ion battery and when discharging, the voltage is electronically reduced to about 3 volts.

What happens is that when you actually put a high enough load (discharging) on the RCR-V3, the internal sensor will detect the power drain and switch the discharge circuit to a diod to reduce the voltage to about 3V.

Even if the RCR-V3 is output at 3.6V or 3.7V each or 2 RCR-V3’s combined in series at 7.2V or 7.4V it still wouldn’t be a problem. At the maximum of 7.4V, which is 1.4V higher than 6V, is only less than 24% higher than the ideal 6V’s power requirements by your camera. Most electronic devices are designed to operate within a voltage range, not at a fixed voltage. In fact, most electronics are designed to operate within a + or – voltage range or percentage.

In reality, power supplies or any power sources never output exactly at the rated voltage. If you check the voltages of some of the power source of some of the electronic devices, you will see what I am talking about. Another example is automobile’s electrical system. We all know that most automobiles are using the “12V” system. If you measure the voltage when the car is not running, the actual voltage is at least 12V with 14V+ when the engine is running!

Voltage is the most basic operating requirements of any electronics devices. Without high enough voltage, the electronic device won’t even turn on. High power consumption electronic devices like digital cameras actually prefer to operate with higher voltage. The RCR-V3 will work just fine in your Pentax *ist D. The RCR-V3 is designed to be a direct replacement of CR-V3.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 2:19 AM   #17

Dear MrBattery,

Thank you so much for the detailed and thorough reply. Now I understand it completely and I can have full confidence using the RCR-V3s with my *ist D. I'll certainly recommend other *ist D users to give them a try. Maybe I'll buy an additional pair soon!

Thanks again!

Best,

Peter
Peter Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 1:57 PM   #18

Default How long will RCR-V3 last with my GPS

Hi,

Is this battery also usefull for continuous drain purposes?

My GPS uses about 190 mA so usually I get about 10-12 hours of continuous usage from a set of 2200 NiMH batteries.

Could I use this RCR-V3 longer than that continuously? I mean if it would do 15-20 hours that would be ideal!

(Obviously a pro would be that the RCR-V3 works better at low temps and has a longer shelf life when charged.)

Regards, Vincent
DutchVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 9:29 PM   #19

Default Question about RCR-V3 on GPS

Hi Vincent,

Yes the RCR-V3 is good for continuous drain purpose.

I don't have a test data for the GPS. So this is as much as I can tell you but with the data you provided, looks like you may get 14 ~ 17 hours out of a RCR-V3.

Yes the low self-discharge rate of RCR-V3 means that you can just charge it, store, then use them when you want to. However, the available capacity do get lower. Approximately 90% remaining after one month.