Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 19, 2003, 4:30 AM   #1

Default Samsung V3 and CR-V3 batteries (1100mAh) or NiCd 2200??

Hi got a Samsung Digimax V3. It can use many different battery types including AA and CR-V3.

You can now buy a rechargable CR-V3 type it is 1100mAh. My question is should I buy one of these it is a Lithium-Ion Cell, or should I go for a high capacity AA like a 2200maH NiCd type?

is the battery life purely to do with the maH? ie the AA will beat it by far, or will the Lithium-Ion Cell beat the NiCd technology.

I have older 1800maH batteries but my charger will not goto 2300 (at least I don't think it will - will it? chart only says 16Hour charge for 1800) so I will have to buy new battery and charger.

the CR-V3 one is about £40 with battery and charger here in the UK, NiCd type prob about £20-25

pls let me know your thoughts on this so I can buy

thx
LOC
the loc-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2003, 9:10 AM   #2

2200mAh NiCd? You must mean NiMH type AA's, NiCd doesn't even make it to 1000mAh I believe. Anyway, I think these rechargeable CR-V3's are too expensive for the little charge they hold, you would be better off with highr capacity NiMH AA's. About your charger, it will be able to charge other batteries, albeit it might take longer than 16 hours to charge 2200mAh batteries for example. Perhaps you could get a new quicker charger along with your new batteries. I highly recommend Sanyo 2100mAh batteries and the Lightning Pack 4000N charger:

http://www.ripvan100.com/products_sanyo2100mah.htm

I just bought two combos of 4 AA's + charger for my flash units. You can also find similar packages at:

http://thomas-distributing.com/

Hope these sites can give you ideas and a better understanding of batteries.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 4:27 PM   #3
Administrator

I have been using some of those rechargeable CR-V3 lithium batteries and they really kick butt! They last longer than NiMH and the best thing is that they hold a charge much longer so they're good to go even after sitting in the camera bag for weeks.

I just wish that all cameras were engineered to take a CR-V3 as well as a pair of AA's. More and more cameras are coming this way but not all of them yet.

Kodak CX6330 and battery choices.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:26 AM   #4

Steve, what is the capacity on these rechargeable CR-V3's? The highest I've seen was 1100mAh.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2003, 5:17 PM   #5

Default Capacity of RCR-V3 Li-ion Battery

The capacity of the Rechargeable CR-V3 (RCR-V3) Li-ion batteries cannot be compared with other rechargeable batteries like Ni-MH with the same measure.

Capacity can be misleading sometimes when comparing 2 different types of batteries with different discharging voltages. The RCR-V3 should be made up of 2 - #14430 3.6V or 3.7V 600mAh rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries that are wired in parallel to be 1200mAh @ 3.6V or 3.7V. However, it is important to understand how rechargeable batteries really work, before I go any further.

Rechargeable batteries have nominal or rated voltage, which is the batteries nature state voltage even when they have been discharged after using them. When you charge the rechargeable batteries, their voltage actually will increase to higher than the nominal/rated voltage. And when you discharge (use) the batteries, their voltage will actually decrease to below their nominal/rated voltage and come back to close to the nominal voltage when the discharging stops.

For Ni-MH batteries, their nominal voltage is 1.2V, the peak voltage when fully charged is 1.35~1.4V, and while they are being discharged, their minimum voltage could drop all the way down to 1.0v!

For rechargeable Li-ion cells like those in the rechargeable CR-V3 batteries, their nominal voltage is 3.6V or 3.7V, when they are fully charged (and they hold their charges for a pretty long time like what Steve said), their peak voltage is 4.2V and while they are being used, their voltage will only drop down to 3V.

You may ask: "What does the voltage has to do with the operating time of my digital camera?"

"The Life and Death of Your Digital Camera!"

What I really mean by that is "The batteries' ability to keep your camera turned-on (so you can keep on shooting picture) and doesn’t automatically shut off because your battery does not have high enough voltage to keep it on."

The reason why is because any electronic equipment's basic operating requirement is voltage, not current (mA or Ampere). Cameras will automatically shut off when the batteries' supplying voltages drop below cameras’ minimum operating requirements. In this case, there’s nothing current or capacity (mA or mAh) can do to keep your camera alive!

Although the RCR-V3 has a rated capacity of 1200mAh, it’s different from the 1200mAh of Ni-MH batteries. Like I said, rechargeable Li-ion cells like those in the RCR-V3 have a nominal/rated voltage of 3.6V or 3.7V with fully charged peak voltage of 4.2V and discharged limit voltage of 3V. The RCR-V3 batteries actually start to supply the electricity at 4.2V when it’s fully charged. As from the manufacturer’s test, they claim that when you discharge the RCR-V3 batteries at a rate of 2,000mA @ 3V, a fully charges RCR-V3 will last about 1 hour (2000mAh).

Based on our extensive knowledge about batteries, the capacity of the RCR-V3 battery should not be judged by the capacity of the cells inside the RCR-V3 batteries. The fact that the battery’s natures nominal voltage of 3.6V or 3.7V has a lot to do with the battery’s capacity to supply 3V or less to the camera.

Any more battery questions, just ask MrBattery.
MrBattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2003, 11:43 PM   #6

Mr. Battery.....I was so glad to see your post, although I didn't much understand it. LOL I don't know the lingo, but would like it if you might post a reply that would shead a simpler light on the CR-V3 Rechargeable. I actually just purchased one from BatteryX and am anxiously awaiting its arrival on Monday. I had been searching the web for weeks looking for this battery that I read about. My local camera shop said "They don't make such a thing...." Well ha, to them! I have high hopes for this battery, as I like to shoot pictures but would run low on Ni-mh's or it would just shut off, and don't get me started on rechargeable alkalines.....I have a Nikon CoolPix 3100 and love it. I don't take professional pictures but do list things on Ebay and print out the occasional photo; so I would love if this RCR-V3 I just ordered would be "somewhat" close to a disposable CR-V3.......(which will last and last!) Can't wait to read more from you!

Karen
itisme1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:55 AM   #7

Default RCR-V3 Battery Life on Nikon Coolpix 3100

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your kind message. It's always nice to hear from great people like you.

I checked the specification of your Coolpix 3100 in Steve's Review. His review indicates that your camera would run about 150 minute when using a disposable CR-V3 Lithium battery.

Based on my knowledge about the RCR-V3 battery, they should last about 2/3 the time of the disposable CR-V3 Lithium battery. In turns of time, it should be about 100 minutes under the same testing criteria of Steve's review of your camera.

Although the RCR-V3 does not last as long as the disposable CR-V3, it does offer the benefits of a rechargeable battery: be able to reuse them over and over again. In addition to the money saving benefit of being rechargeable, the RCR-V3 are able to hold approxitmately 90% of it's charge even after they have been sitting idle for 28 days (low self-discharge rate). Not only that, it also offers the fastest flash recharge time than Ni-MH or even the disposable CR-V3!

Nothing is worse than trying to take a picture (many times are the perfect moments) and found out that your batteries lost their charge on you because you haven't been using the camera that often. :x Not too manay people will try (or remember) to have their batteries fully charged at all time unless photography is what they do for living. Even if you are a professional photographer, you will appreciate the benefits that RCR-V3 provides.

For those who just want to capture those memorable moments without have to worry about if your camera is going to turn on when you need them to, but also want to have the benefits of rechargeables, RCR-V3 is highly recommend.

The benefits RCR-V3 provides can't be measured with money! It's your memorable moments we are talking about here.

I am sure that you will be happy with your RCR-V3 battery. And I am also sure that other people would be really interested in your experience with the RCR-V3 battery. Please post your experience in this and other forum so other people out there that are dubious about RCR-V3 can benefit from it. Help them preserve those great moments!

Happy Memories!
Old Oct 12, 2003, 1:11 AM   #8

Mr. Battery

I would be more than happy to let others know of my experience once I get to use it. If you don't mind I was wondering just one more thing? ops: :?: I have read on batteryx the comparision charts but just coming from a person that has had experience using the RCR-V3 compared to the NI-MH or other rechargeables what are the variable times between those? I mean, are they at all comparable or does the RCR-V3 out weigh them by far? (which is what I am hoping you will say!!! ) And I do realize that all situations are going to be different, but in general.

Karen
Old Oct 12, 2003, 2:04 AM   #9

Default Comparison Of the RCR-V3, CR-V3, and Ni-MH Batteries.

Dear Karen,

Let me see if I can answer your question right.

If you like the performance of disposable CR-V3, want the benefits of rechargeables, but don't like Ni-MH, RCR-V3 would be the closest thing you can get next to the disposable CR-V3 itself.

There two things that RCR-V3 is not as good as the disposable CR-V3. One being the RCR-V3 can only take 420 shots with a single charge and but the disposable CR-V3 can take 650 shots (you will have to throw it away after use it up though). The other being the self-discharge rate. Disposable CR-V3's shelf life is somewhere around 5~7 years from the manufacturing date. However they are not rechargeable. The RCR-V3 self-discharge rate is about 0.3 ~ 0.6 % per day 20°C/68°F. Like I said, the RCR-V3 will still retain 90% of its charge after sitting idle for 28 days. Li-ion rechargeable batteries are among the lowest self-discharge rate of all kinds of rechargeable battery technologies. Without the self-discharge characteristic, the RCR-V3 wouldn't be rechargeable.

The data in www.BatteryX.com's comparison is provided by the manufacturer and was done using the same camera, same setting, alll using flashes and LCD displays at the same time. The 1800mAh Ni-MH (highest capacity available at time of conducting the test) only yield about 250 shots!

My strategy would be to buy a disposable CR-V3 battery for backup purpose. In case you forget to recharge your RCR-V3 for a long, long time. However, you should still be able to take picture with the RCR-V3 even if didn't recharge it for two months! you not gonna get as many shots as when it is fully charged but you will still be able to take many, many shots with it.

I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if you have any question. I will be more than happy to help you.

8)
Old Oct 12, 2003, 11:07 AM   #10

Thank you so much for your help and the boards here will benefit from your help as well. I can't wait to get my new RCR-V3! I have been checking the tracking everyday, even though I know it's coming on Monday...LOL As far as I found BatteryX is the only place to purchase this batter over the net that is within US shipping, you need to get the word out. A lot of people are looking for this battery.

Karen

Ps. Ebay sales would be nice.