Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:40 PM   #1

Hi guys,

I'm interested with Sanyo AA charger with refresh capability, but I would like to know, what is the refresh function for anyway? Is it necessary?

Could anyone give me some 'enlightement'? :?
keigo_kanzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:48 AM   #2

The refresh function generally discharges the cell to 1V and then charges it back up again. It's useful for cells that haven't been used in a while "exercises" the cells to bring them up closer to their full capacity.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:27 PM   #3

But a few people (2 exactly) in another (my local) boards reported that the refresh function damaged their battery (battery capacity was reduced significantly) even when they were using the batteries that came with their Sanyo charger, so some concluded that 'refresh' function is actually bad for batteries.

Is this true, or it's just some rare case?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:38 AM   #4

The only thing the 'refresh' mode is doing, is (as coppertrail stated) discharging the batteries at a controlled rate, then recharging them. So, I can't see how it could damage batteries (unless there was something defective with the charger or the batteries).

Normally I wouldn't consider using a 'refresh' mode on my batteries, unless they already were experiencing a significantly reduced capacity condition...that is the best usage of the 'refresh' function - to attempt to restore a well used, depleted battery. Now if the two individuals you alluded to experienced a significant loss of capacity on a battery that already had experienced a significant loss of capacity, what does that mean? The battery was now totally dead? If so, the battery may have aready been 'on the way out', and was beyond help. If it means they used the 'refresh' mode on a new battery (and I don't know why they would) and they experienced a significant loss in capacity, what did they do? Use the batteries anyway? Run it throught the cycle again? Throw the batteries in the garbage?

I have heard of some early failures of Sanyo batteries (although most people who use them consider them the best).

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 7:25 PM   #5

After reading your replies, I decided to buy one with refresh function. Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments.

One more thing:
Can I also use refresh function to cycle new batteries so they reach full capacity, or use it for newly purchased Eneloop, so I can get fully charged ones instead of the 85% charge we usually get from the store?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 7:42 PM   #6

keigo_kanzaki wrote:
Quote:
After reading your replies, I decided to buy one with refresh function. Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments.

One more thing:
Can I also use refresh function to cycle new batteries so they reach full capacity, or use it for newly purchased Eneloop, so I can get fully charged ones instead of the 85% charge we usually get from the store?
Absolutely
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:45 PM   #7

alrighty, thanks guys !!!
Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:32 AM   #8

Hello Keigo kanzaki,

The refresh function can be beneficial, but it depends on how you use your batteries.

It is generally recommend to do a full discharge every 20 - 50 charge/discharge cycles. This becomes very important if you only partially discharge before charging back up. Depending on how often you use your camera, this can be done every 3, 6, or 12 months. I usually recommend doing a refresh twice a year. Once just before Christmas, and once in the middle of summer.

On the other hand, if you completely discharge your batteries down to the last drop every time you use your camera, you probably won't need the refresh function.

As you have already figured out, it is also a handy way to do a few cycles on new batteries or those that have been in storage.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 2:43 AM   #9

SilverFoxCPF wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand, if you completely discharge your batteries down to the last drop every time you use your camera, you probably won't need the refresh function.
I've never had to do a refresh on my rechargeables. But I always try to fully utilize the charge of my batteries before I charge them.

Doing this, I've never had problems with my NiMH batteries.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 3:46 AM   #10

Well, currently I'm using my partially discharged batteries on walkman and electric shaver (planning to get a refresh charger this afternoon)

I have 8 Sanyo 2100 NiMH (3 years old), 4 are holding the charge very well (good boys), while another set won't work even after I charged them...