Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 20, 2003, 2:50 PM   #1

Default biggest AA rechareables and charging time pls

whats the biggest size NiMH AA batteries at the mo. I want to buy some for my Samsung V3 and want the best (longest running time) I can get.

I also have a battery charger but on the instructions it only goes upto 1500mAh batteries which takes 16Hrs. can I still use to charge 2300mAh AA's say? on the back it says ouput 2.8V @150mA 0.42VA if that helps

cheers
LOC
the loc-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2003, 6:51 PM   #2

Samsung V3? When did it come out, i.e, how old is it?
The best tested lately is the Maha Powerex 2200's. Of course the Sanyo 2100, or the Energizer 2100's (re-badged Sanyos) or right there also, and a MUCH better value.
Have you seen this:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Good Day,
Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 5:37 PM   #3

The Samsung V3 is new(ish June 03 i think) out. I bought it 3 weeks ago here in the UK, and it still showing as "new" on the samsungcamera.co.uk site.

I have seen 2300mAh batteries for sale, will these be better than 2200mAh, sounds a daft question but are diffenrent manufacturers batteries better than others for example?

also will my existing batt charger be Ok, see above to charge these 2300mAh batteries, and I take it the AAs are gonna be better than the CR-V3 rechargeable Li-ion 1100maH v=batt from smasung?

cheers
LOC
the loc-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:18 PM   #4

Certain brands are certainly better than others. Not all batteries are created equal. Check out this review:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

You'll learn more than you wanted to know... a very handy link.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:11 PM   #5

I am running a survey on batteries. It seems to me that as good as you want it to be, that you should invest in the Maha or the Lightening Pak (RipVan100) I have seen mentioned at the thread I started. Seems like you should upgrade your charger to a high-end one which features separate circuits, algorithyms and cutting edge electronics to maximize batt life and performance. That is basically the message I'm getting from most of the other contributors.

Eveready makes 2100s (they are -or were- at Target for around $10 for 4) and also a deluxe charger (Eveready) for $20 but I have not been able to get any info on it, don't know if it's got the fancy electronics or not. It does switch to a trickle charge after the 5-hr run. I think there are a few others, Best Buy also carries some high end chargers with batts. At any rate, a couple of them are expensive, and they make big claims. I think "Monster" brand is one of them, comes with batts and is in the $40 range I think.

I have not seen either the Maha product or the Lightening Pak for sale at any of the stores I visit here in Southern Calif. Only online availability, so far.
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:08 AM   #6

Generally the bigger the batt. in the same space (AA) the greater is the self discharge over time. E.g why pay a lot more for a 2300maH batt over a 2100, if by the time you come to use them in the camera they are both at similar charge states?

So put some effort into thinking fast chargers with enough slots for the number of batts you intend to use - and don't forget the external flash batts if you have one! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 3:55 AM   #7

I have a question similar to that of the loc-man. I purchased a charger and NiMh batteries separately. The batteries have 2100 mAh capacity, and it's said on them that the typical charge time is 16 hours at 200mA. The charger's manual says it has a timer and charges batteries for 7 hours at 210mA, then it switches to trickle charge. Now, it seems that the amount of time needed to fully charge batteries depend on their capacity (there was a picture of 700mAh NiMh batteries on the charger box, I wonder if this is the capacity the timer was supposed to work with). Can I use this charger with these batteries and how? Should I keep betteries in the charger for a longer period, like 14h-24h; unplug and plug again the charger after 7 hours, thus reseting the timer; or am I better to get another charger for these batteries? Thanks!
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:24 AM   #8
NHL

The charging time have much to do with the charger as it is with its power supply (with some as high as a car/motor cycle battery @ 14.5V @ 4.5A!) Generally the faster the chargers the more hefty external power supply it has... Eveready and Monster Cable now make 30 minutes rapid chargers: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=13886

Rayovac even has batteries with a built-in controlling circuit that enable them to be charged in 15 minutes!

All rapid chargers will change to trickle charge after the charge is completed. When on trickle charge the batteries can be left on for longer period, although not for an infinite amount of time! A charge is usually monitor by a change in voltage over time (dV/dt), and a timer is only there as a precautionary measure (and so is a temperature sensor). Charging on timer alone is not a good practice since each battery chemical content varies with different manufacters and their charging time are not identical.
... A note of caution though some cheap NiMh are not designed to be quick charged, and their decorative plastic covering will peel off under stress!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:38 AM   #9

The time to charge the batteries depends on their size and how fast you want to put charge into them! It's like a bucket. turn on the tap slow and it takes a long time to fill, turn the tap to fast and it fills quicker!

Charge rate is normally quoted as 'X' times the capacity rate. So a 2200mAh batt charged at 2200mA charges roughly in 1 hour so X=1. If X=2 , you charge at 4400mA. If the batteries don't explode first, in theory you charge them in 1/2 an hour.

Theory is one thing, battery life is another but some regard AA's as cheap and expendable so don't mind 'hammering' charge into a battery for a quick charge. If you're not in a hurry then 8-16 hours is nice and gentle. Because the charger is lower power and less sophistocated it's cheaper to make. Unfortunately since you probably always need 2 sets of batts, you will sometime forget to put batts in the charger the day before or use flash a lot and you are stuffed.

Personally, I use 2 hour fast charge and occasionally 1 hour. If the charger switches to trickle, then it's better to leave the batts in and keep the camera memory backed up with Alkalines.

Look at the Maha range of chargers. Watch out for chargers which come with lower capacity re-chargeables. If they say these charge in say 2 Hrs, then bigger batts will still charge but take proportionately longer.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:41 AM   #10

Default Eveready 2100s & charger

Question for anyone who knows a lot about the batteries & chargers: My 2100s took a full charge (I have a 5 hr charger then goes to trickle). i used the cam then wanted to top off the batts. Put them in the charger and then forgot they were there. 4 hrs later I came back and they were very hot. It had never switched to trickle, just gave them another full charge when they didn't need it. Any damage to the batts, your best opinion combined with experience? thanks Don
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote