Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:46 AM   #41

Because the kodak z812 specs says 1.5 volt lithium AA's, then it would be logical to put 1.5 volt lithium AA batteries in there to try it......with the SD card in. Power down the camera overnight, and then power up the camera to see if it's ok the next morning, and take a few shots with it. Then power it down. And repeat the testing.

If the camera works fine with the 1.5 volt lithiums, then that's good. If not, then the camera requires servicing.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:01 AM   #42

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Because the kodak z812 specs says 1.5 volt lithium AA's, then it would be logical to put 1.5 volt lithium AA batteries in there to try it......with the SD card in. Power down the camera overnight, and then power up the camera to see if it's ok the next morning, and take a few shots with it. Then power it down. And repeat the testing.

If the camera works fine with the 1.5 volt lithiums, then that's good. If not, then the camera requires servicing.
Yes, I understand, you're right as far as the Li-Ions are concerned, but I think you're missing the point. NiMH worked for a year without problems and then all of a sudden stopped doing so. Apparently the camera's operating voltage is close to that available from NiMH, but I wonderedwhy the success for a year and then not?

The Li-Ions seem to be working fine, but that's to be expected. What changed a month or so ago to make NiMH not work after doing so for so long? I'd really like to know.
dvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 5:00 PM   #43

dvus wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I understand, you're right as far as the Li-Ions are concerned, but I think you're missing the point. NiMH worked for a year without problems and then all of a sudden stopped doing so. Apparently the camera's operating voltage is close to that available from NiMH, but I wonderedwhy the success for a year and then not?

The Li-Ions seem to be working fine, but that's to be expected. What changed a month or so ago to make NiMH not work after doing so for so long? I'd really like to know.
Thanks for saying that the camera has no problem with the lithiums.

I'm thinking that - would it be possible that the metal contacts (mounted within the camera's battery cover) or wiring/solder joints in the camera has developed a bit more resistance, and there's a larger voltage drop somewhere along the line - so that the low voltage indicator is shutting the camera down even when the batteries are alright?

Could try cleaning the contacts points in the battery compartment, or check the positioning of the contacts to see if they're able to press up against the battery terminals properly (to minimise resistance). Or maybe a solder joint has developed more resistance and causing a larger voltage drop along the line.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:48 AM   #44

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for saying that the camera has no problem with the lithiums.

I'm thinking that - would it be possible that the metal contacts (mounted within the camera's battery cover) or wiring/solder joints in the camera has developed a bit more resistance, and there's a larger voltage drop somewhere along the line - so that the low voltage indicator is shutting the camera down even when the batteries are alright?

Could try cleaning the contacts points in the battery compartment, or check the positioning of the contacts to see if they're able to press up against the battery terminals properly (to minimise resistance). Or maybe a solder joint has developed more resistance and causing a larger voltage drop along the line.
There's always a chance that somephysicalresistance has found its way into the battery circuits, but I'm guessing that I've been operating on a voltage"razor-edge" all the while I was using NiMH. It's too bad Kodak couldn't have engineered the camera to operate on a slightly lower voltage or found room for one or two additional batteries, but, they didn't.

So, I guess we're stuck with the Li-Ions for now. As I said in another post, I just wish I hadn't gone andbought two high-end chargers and all those high-capacity NiMH cells.
dvus is offline   Reply With Quote