Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 26, 2008, 2:42 AM   #1

Are there any battery chargers on the market today that will charge all CR-V3 rechargeable batteries , I recently bought three different CR-V3 batteries but i needed three different battery chargers to charge each individuel battery
in turn, Why are these batteries compatible with there own charger but not
compatible with different CR-V3 battery chargers ?.

vergil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:18 AM   #2

Quite possibly not, because rechargeable Li-ion batteries that replace CR-V3 throwaway Li primary batteries come in at least three flavours, requiring different chargers....

1. Kodak KLIC-8000 batteries and cheaper substitutes have side and end contacts, as do cameras that can use them;

2. Some Li-ion rechargeable CR-V3 batteries have three contacts on one end, the small centre one of which is used by the charger but not by the camera;

3. Others have just one pair of contacts on one end, used both by the charger and the camera.

This is a mess. It's likely that that none of the batteries and chargers are interchangeable. But so far as I can see, the chargers and batteries around for the 3 end contact variety may be interchangeable. I have batteries like this with 2 different brands, and I have seen the obviously identical chargers with several different brand names.

There are pictures of them posted by 'jachol', who knows what he's talking about, at....

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...878963#p878963

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 2:56 AM   #3

I have a battery the same as the one on display in the Moby Power Cr-v3 photo

on this web site, My battery has contacts at each end, Two round contacts at

one end, And two square contacts at the other end , My question is what type of

battery charger would charge this battery apart from the Moby Power charger

on display as i have tried several chargers to date without success.

vergil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 3:29 AM   #4

http://www.digitalcamerabattery.org/...odak-cr-v3.htm

Take a look. Its a replacement for kodak cr-v3, the price is very cheap, also it isa universal battery.
Good Luck.
digitalbattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 3:55 AM   #5

digitalbattery wrote:
Quote:
...replacement for kodak cr-v3....also it isa universal battery.
No it's not! I can see from the picture that it does not have the small circular contact offset between the two main contacts on the end, the one that is used as the '+' contact when charging by the Uniross and Maplin (Vanson) chargers. They have two spring-loaded pins, which contact the battery's '-' contact and the centre one, and wouldn't contact this battery's '+' contact at all.

So it can't be recharged by my charger, and would be no use to me. Unless, that is, there two other contacts on the other end as well?

If those two I see are the only two, and the charger has two to match, it is IMPORTANT that the charger carries a warning not to get confused (e.g., in the dark or without one's spectacles)and insert a disposable lithium metal primary CR-V3 into it. Unless the charger is designed with a sophisticated circuit to avoid this eventuality, this would be very dangerous. All chargers with rechargeable CR-V3 batteries that have only two contacts to match the camera are vulnerable to this problem.

I expect that is why Kodak's own KLIC-8000 and some other types of rechargeable CR-V3 have contacts in other places, e.g., on the other end. Someone posted pictures of them here not long ago. I'll try to find them, and maybe others could find a link to them.

As Isidor Buchmann says in http://www.batteryuniversity.com, "battery manufacturers do not mention fire or explosion; 'venting with flame' is the term used" ( I paraphrase).

In any case a better term to use would be 'rechargeable replacement for Kodak CR-V3' . 'Kodak CR-V3' may be a primary lithium battery using metallic lithium. It is not necessarily a lithium-ion rechargeable. You can use either sort them interchangeably in cameras, but not chargers.

The term 'Li-ion' is misleading in battery technology terms. Lithium ions carry the current through the cell. The energy is stored and released using the reduction and oxidation of cobalt ions, usually. Inelectrochemical terms they are'cobalt redox batteries'.

Primary lithum disposable batteries start with extremely reactive metallic lithium, which oxidises irrerversibly to relatively innocuous lithium ions, with the release into the circuit of lots of pretty powerful electrons. If you're not careful you can get all their energy released much more rapidly than you expected.
Old May 26, 2008, 5:34 AM   #6

Here is a link that shows the centre contact charger. Clearly it will not charge a battery with only the two camera contacts. I have a differently-branded but identical charger like that, and its battery, plus a Uniross battery like that.

http://www.gmkbatteries.co.uk/crv3-s...s-pi-2037.html,

and here is a link to a picture of the other sort...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...67&doy=5m6.

I note that several of the websites that have ".co.uk" addresses are actually in Hong Kong. There are also ones with a UK address and phone number. If you're in the UK, I'd try them first, if I were you, and if you're elsewhere, beware!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:09 AM   #7

Hello everyone, I have found a link for the Authentic kodak z712IS Klic-8000 battery and charger for $29.95 shipped. I am through fooling around with 3rd party rechargeables that drain down fast. I have been looking for a while now. Today I took my battery from the charger and went to the ocean to take hurricane type wind pictures. After the 6th shot, i got the battery icon and started shutting off by itself, so i just ordered this package and i know many of you will want this site to order from. Cheapest I've found yet

be well,

JB

http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...ProductID=3749
jbmailll is offline   Reply With Quote