Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old May 15, 2008, 9:51 AM   #1

Does anybody have a table or other reference that provides the EXACT diameters of various brands of NiMH AA cells? The AA specification allows diameters to vary between 13.5 and 14.5 mm, and I have a couple of devices that will not accept the fatter-sized cells (e.g. the Sanyo 2700 mAh cells). I'd like to find the best cells available (largest capacity, good quality) that are no more than about 14.0 mm in diameter.

Thanks in advance!

Don
tiercel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

I don't recall anyone with that same issue here (although I may have missed it, as I don't read everything). ;-) I don't see anything describing dimensions on Steve's Rechargeable Batteries page either. From the photo I see of some batteries side by side, it does appear that the higher capacity NiMH batteries from Sanyo are a bit larger than some. But, the colors in the images can be misleading, too.

You may have some luck checking the manufacturers' web sites for specs.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 7:37 AM   #3

I've started measuring some batteries with my trusty dial caliper. Duracell AA Alkaline come out to exactly 14.0 mm; La Crosse 2400 mAh batteries are 14.5. I've found a few manufacturer's specs; nothing listed on the Duracell site, but Eveready lists all their specs and all their AA NiMH batteries are nominally 14.5. I guess that 0.5 mm makes a difference. I have a Canon Powershot A640 which will accept only the smaller sizes; if I try to cram in 4 of the NiMH, I have to extract them with needle-nose pliers.

Ditto for a Sea-Life Digital Pro underwater flash -- same problem exactly. Their tech support folks recommend using the 1.2v lithium (non-rechargeable) batteries since they fit better. I'm going to buy some of those and measure them, and I'll keep on the lookout for decent capacity NiMH cells that are closer to 14.0 mm. Perhaps eventually I'll compile enough info to post that table I was asking about.

Don

tiercel is offline   Reply With Quote