Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:24 PM   #1

I just recently bought a Cannon S5 IS but when I use 4 AA Alkaline Batteries it doesn't even last me 230 pictures. I was wondering others with S5 IS what Batteries do you guys use? If anyone could give me advice that would be great thanks!

-Ruben
dario8670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:40 PM   #2

I use Sanyo Eneloops rechargeables. They last a good while. I recommend you get those they work best for the S5 IS.
BlueSky23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 5:42 AM   #3

dario8670 wrote:
Quote:
.....when I use 4 AA Alkaline Batteries it doesn't even last me 230 pictures...
That sounds rather a lot of pictures to me. How many do you expect?

The actual capacity in milliamp-hours of your four throwaway alkaline batteries is probably quite a lot, but they have quite a high internal resistance. So when you're extending the lens, zooming, displaying on the LCD screen, etc., all at the same time, a large current will be drawn from the batteries. This large current passing through the high resistance in the batteries will waste you quite a lot of their stored energy as heat, at the same time lowering the voltage seen by the camera. The camera may well shut off for lack of voltage when there's quite bit of the use-once active material still left in the cells.

You may find they'll continue to work for quite a while in low-current applications, e.g., clocks.

Four rechargeable Ni-MH, or a pair of rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries (assuming they'll fit, and notexpose your camera to too much voltage - check the camera instructions), will have very low internal resistance, and waste littleoftheir charge when actually in use.

Sadly, the highest capacity Ni-MH won't hold their charge for long, as BlueSky23 says. Also rechargeable Li-ion (if they'll do, as R-CRV3) hold lots of energy, but only last acouple of yearswhether you use them or not. They do hold their charge quite well.

'Eneloops' are just one brand of several Ni-MH 'hybrids' that hold their charge better, i.e., self-discharge more slowly. See my post with a link to Wikipedia just a few steps down the page here, at....

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=51

Good luck. I nearly bought an S5is myself, but got a Kodak Z712is instead, cheaper & lighter & with live preview for exposure adjustment, but more plasticky. I'm delighted with it, but it gave me & others battery troubles discussed ad nauseam around here over the last year or so. It won't work properly with AA Ni-MH, and there's only room for two of them, not four as in your case.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:27 AM   #4

dario8670 wrote:
Quote:
I just recently bought a Cannon S5 IS but when I use 4 AA Alkaline Batteries it doesn't even last me 230 pictures. I was wondering others with S5 IS what Batteries do you guys use? If anyone could give me advice that would be great thanks!

-Ruben
Just get a basic Energizer charger + 4 x AA combo pack, which is around $20 at Wal-Mart and the like.

You might not get the maximum life on first use, but on second and subsequent charge, you should get 3-4 times as many pictures per charge.

Don't get CRV3 they're a waste of money as they're the same as two Energizer AA lithiums and buying two of them is cheaper than one CRV3. Lithium AA will take even more pictures than a charge of NiMH rechargeables, but they're one-time use.

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 1:05 AM   #5

dario8670 wrote:
Quote:

-Ruben
Alkaline batteries don't really last that long in digicams. They just do not have enough power, to put it simply.

If you want more photos and convenience and savings, try good branded NiMH rechargeable batteries (don't forget to buy the charger also) that are rated more than 2000mAH. These give you very good performance.

If you want to spend a little more, try hybrid NiMH rechargeable batteries like the Sanyo Eneloop or the Uniross Hybrio. Duracell and other brands have their own hybrids also.

Advantage of the hybrids - even if you store them for a year, they will lose only about 15% of their charge.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 6:01 PM   #6

a-beginner wrote:
Quote:
dario8670 wrote:
Quote:

-Ruben
Alkaline batteries don't really last that long in digicams. They just do not have enough power, to put it simply.

If you want more photos and convenience and savings, try good branded NiMH rechargeable batteries (don't forget to buy the charger also) that are rated more than 2000mAH. These give you very good performance.

If you want to spend a little more, try hybrid NiMH rechargeable batteries like the Sanyo Eneloop or the Uniross Hybrio. Duracell and other brands have their own hybrids also.

Advantage of the hybrids - even if you store them for a year, they will lose only about 15% of their charge.
Just to clarify, "Hybrid" is not a technology nor a type of batteries. It's a buzzword and a tradename. I suspect it was inspired by hybrid vehicles.

These are known as low self-discharge or "pre-charged" or "ready to use" rechargeable batteries. Not HYBRID.

Duracell: "Pre-Charged"
Sanyo: "eneloop"
Rayovac "Hybrid"

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:43 AM   #7

good discussion goin' on here

has anyone found out if an external power pack (either say from canon or like digipower) has been put out yet? I have ohhhh, like 12 AA batteries (3 sets of 4) and I rarely run out of power but would like to have an external power pack too!

:|
tdredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:08 AM   #8

I would just get a good set of LSD Ni-MH batteries,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_sel...e_NiMH_battery

Rayovac Hybrid, Sanyo Eneloopand Duracell Precharged are readily available.
coldpower27 is offline   Reply With Quote