Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 30, 2003, 8:09 AM   #1

Default nikon batteries in Coolpix 3100

Hello,
I bought a few weeks ago a Coolpix 3100, it came with Nikon MH-70 charger and two Nikon 2000 mAh batteries.
I made a few (4-5) charge cycles, trying to discharge as much as possible, leaving the camera on with 30 minutes auto-off, and repeating until the camera will not switch on at all. It took around 2.5 hours to charge them again.
Still after few (around 5 ) shots (mostly with flash) I get the battery alarm, monitor is automatically switched off during flash charging, although I can still take around 30 pictures.
Is this normal behaviour? A bit poor, it's not even enough for one day!
I was thinking to buy the Powerex 2200 to have a better performance, I guess they will charge correctly in the nikon charger, has anyone of you tested them in a Coolpix?
thanks very much
map22ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2003, 11:49 PM   #2

Hi, I too have this camera and also have had trouble with these types of rechargeable batteries. If you purchase the CR-V3 disposable, it will last a good while, meaning several days of shooting with the screen. Also I went on the search of a rechargeable CR-V3, and luckily came across it at a site called BatteryX......I haven't gotten the battery yet, and it was a bit expensive, but if it works better than the NI-MH rechargeables I will be happy, and it is suppose to. I found another topic where they are disscussing this battery, Mr. Battery seems to reply to them and he is something to do with BatteryX. Here is the link to that battery.
http://www.batteryx.com/Product/Othe...ital%20Camera#

Let me know what you find out :!:

Karen

Ps. How do you like the camera itself? :?:
itisme1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:55 AM   #3

Hello,
I bought another set of NiMH, the Sanyo 2100, which I read are very good. I charged them only twice but the behaviour is the same as the Nikon original set. What is really annoying is that it seems like the camera does not feel the correct charge level. I get the warning battery exausted after very few shots but if I switch off and on again I don't get the half battery icon, and everything is working fine, even with the flash. A few shots and the same story again. This goes on for several off-on
The firmware is 1.2 and I thought the problem was solved with this version.
Apart from the battery life I'm very happy with this camera.
ciao
Old Oct 22, 2003, 1:22 PM   #4

Marina,

I got my rechargeable CR-V3 about a week ago and I love it so far, it outlasts the ni-mh, I took about 25 pictures with it so far with the screen and then hooked it up to my computer for uploading and also forgot to shut it off for about 15 minutes straight and it still has not shown me the low battery or half battery sign, AND the flash recovery is much faster than with the other batteries. It is great and I would reccommend it to you, it does cost $69 at that site, BUT.....how much have you spent so far and how much would you continue to spend? Plus they are rechargeable, so after it goes dead you get to recharge and start again.

Hope this helps.
itisme1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 6:29 PM   #5

Default Ni-MH Battery Problem with Coolpix 3100

Dear map22ita,

Sanyo is one of the top cell manufacturers in the world. If you can't get their 2100mAh Ni-MH to work in your camera, my educated guess would be that Nikon Coolpix 3100 has a higher minimum operating voltage requirement than most other 2 AA or 3V digital cameras.

What does minimum operating voltage has to do with the problem you have with the camera?

Voltage is the first operating requirement of any electronic devices. Without enough voltage, devices will not even turn on or stay on. When the voltage requirement is met, then capacity determines how long the device will stay on. Without proper voltage, capacity means nothing.

Ni-MH batteries have a natural (nominal) voltage of 1.2V per cell or 2.4V with 2 cell connected in series mode. When fully charged, the cellís voltage will increase to between 1.35V ~ 1.40V, or 2.7V ~ 2.8V for 2 cells in series mode. While the battery is being discharged, the cellís voltage can drop below 1.0V (2.0V for 2 in series) and when the discharging stops, the cellís voltage will gradually climb back up to its natural/nominal voltage of 1.2V(2.4V for 2 cells in series). But will drop to below 1.0V quicker and quicker if you continue try to discharge it.

From the symptom you have described, seems like the Nikon Coolpix 3100ís minimum operating voltages is right below 2.4V, probably at about 2.2V. When your batteries are fully charged with a combined voltage of between 2.7V ~ 2.8V, you are able to take several shots until the batteriesí supplying voltage drop down to below the required minimum operating voltage, after that then the camera refuse to operate. And when you turn off the camera for a little while, the voltage of the battery will climb back up to it natural/nominal voltage. Thatís why when you turn back on again, you are able to take few more shots, and then it refuses to work again. And each time you turn it off and turn back on again, the number of shots you are able to take becomes less and less.

As Karen mentioned that disposable CR-V3 batteries works extremely well in the Coolpix 3100. The reason being that CR-V3 is a lithium battery, and lithium battery natural/nominal voltage is 3V. So even when the CR-V3ís voltage drops down to itís cut-off voltage, itís probably still above the cameraís minimum requirement. In this case, whatever the rated capacity of CR-V3 battery are fully usable. But, CR-V3ís are not rechargeable. Therefore, can get pretty costly to use in the long run. If you still want rechargeables, but other than the Ni-NH. Your next best alternative would the Rechargeable CR-V3 or RCR-V3. Try ask other users to share more of their experience with the RCR-V3.

Good Luck with your Coolpix 3100.
MrBattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 4:42 PM   #6

The 3100 should last about 1 hr and 40 minutes of continuous usage with about 30% flash. I know as I have tested 2 cameras. Pretty boring stuff. With regular aa alkalines expect about 10 minutes if brand new. Even used a little they will not work. Check the battery door on your camera and see if the metal contact is a little rough. If so, use an eraser or a piece of sandpaer to smooth out. Some models have in the past had a contact issue. Usually sliding the battery cover back and forth over the batteries solves the problem.
Nikon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:41 AM   #7

Thanks Karen, Nikon Man and Mr. Battery,
for your explanation.
Unfortunately my mail notification seems not to work, and I don't check the forum very often.
So I just saw your reply; the sanyo are slowly improving but the annoying behaviour is still there
I'll have a check on the battery door; I don't live in the US so I'll have to see if I can find the RCR-V3 (and at what price...).
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:34 PM   #8
Administrator

Have you checked the Nikon site for the latest firmware update? There is a known problem with Coolpix 2100 and 3100 regarding the battery level metering. There is a firmware update for it.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25509

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 7:59 AM   #9

I wanted to buy the Rechargeable CR-V3 Battery & Charger Kit for my Nikon 3100, but it seems batteryx.com does not take international orders.

Have emailed them regarding this but have not got any answere.

If anyone knows any company selling Rechargeable CR-V3 or RCR-V3, and is willing to delliver outside US please feel free to post the link.

P.S Thx Steve for your tip on Maha C401FS
NiMH / NiCd Charger.
Lexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 8:53 AM   #10

Yes Steve, I checked, the firmware is v1.2, the last one.
Ciao