Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 5, 2003, 11:52 PM   #11

Best (cheapest) place to buy a Maha charger?

Anyone have any info on the Energizer deluxe charger? (5 hrs I think then switches to trickle charge) unit is about 9-10" long, 4" wide dark grey color holds 4 batts I think). Is it a good system?

Eveready 4-pk Energizer 2100s at Target for 9.99 u.s. today, I noticed.
mrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 1:25 PM   #12

Thomas-Distributing seems to have some very decent pricing on Maha chargers. For me personally I just bought mine locally since the shipping/duty/customs/tax to buy something from the us and have it shipped to the GWN usually kills off any sort of savings and most of the time ends up costing me more in the long run. So much for NAFTA. :P

You might want to have a look around Maha's website at their offically resellers list and see if there is a retail chain near you that offers their products. I'm usually willing to pay a little bit extra to get it locally since then you usually don't have all the issues incase it doesn't work with shipping it back.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 9:10 PM   #13

Don't mean to throw a monkey wrench in this discussion, but that is probably what I'll do.
I have the Maha 401 FS and the Powerex 2200's (for my Minolta D7i), and they are and excellent combination.
But I also recently purchased the Lightning Pack 4000N (from ripvan100.com), because I liked the idea of just plugging directly into the wall. I figured the Maha would obviously do a better job because it has 4 independent charging banks, and the LP4000N has 2 for 2 only.
Well, now the batteries that I charge in the LP4000N (2200 Powerex's) are lasting considerably longer (like 275 shots to 170), than those charged in the Maha 401 FS. Go figure???
This is not an absolute saying that this is a scientific test of who makes the best charger, but just sharing my experience (and I also have the Quest Rapid charger, and have had the Rayovac 1 hour charger), but I do have to say that for a charger showing its age (LP4000N), it is still holding its own.
Again, not to start a war, but just my experience.
And by the way, this was compared when charging the Maha fast or slow.

Good Day,
Steven

P.S.
My opinion of the best value on nimh batteries: Eveready Energizer's at Wal Mart, 2100's. $9.83 pack of 4.
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:48 PM   #14
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerjoe
Why have those quick rechargers when with a couple of battery packs you are all set?

I mean, even with a 16 hour charger how many packs of batteries is someone going to use on a regular basis to justify switching to a faster charger?
It all depends on how you use it. This weekend we took over 400 pics of rock climbing in a primitive camping area. There's no water there, and certainly no electrical outlets! Having a two hour charger that could run on a CLA in the van was nice.

Here's a more specific answer to your question. If you're using flash, you deplete 2 sets of batteries instead of one. And, if you're using another camera from the top of the ledge looking down, that's another set. The two hour charger and 5 sets of batteries kept everything going fine for me this weekend.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 5:05 PM   #15

My initial digicam experience with Powerex 2,200 mAh AA NiMHs in what must be one of the universe's most relatively energy efficient cams [FinePix S5000] can be read in this thread: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=15164

Now to find my socks...
critterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:01 PM   #16

Default Repackaged Charger

Walmart has the Digital Concepts CH-3900 package for $17. Package includes fast (3hr) charger (relabled Lenmar Pro744 charger) and 4 generic 1800mah NiMH batts. The charger is a decent microprocessor controlled unit that automatically reverts to trickle charge at the completion of the fast charge cycle. You can charge either 2 or 4 cells at a time. You can also leave the batteries in the unit until you're ready to use. Most sites sell this setup under the Lenmar name for more than $25.
BadBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:09 PM   #17

Costco want to keep selling their 48 packs of AAs. They had NiCds for a while, but why buy them when you can get NiMhs elsewhere. Maybe they're staying away from rechargeables now because the NiCds didn't sell.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 11:01 PM   #18
obx

I bought some Nexcell batteries, 24 for 24 delivered.
They seem to work great. I haven't had any problems
with the the 700mh AAA or the 1800 AA.

I also bought a Lenmar Mach 1 charger for $22, $28 delivered.
I have used this charger for about 3 weeks now with the
Nexcell batteries. The batteries do not get even warm to touch!!
Definitely a great charger.

OBX
obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 5:18 AM   #19

Quote:
I mean, even with a 16 hour charger how many packs of batteries is someone going to use on a regular basis to justify switching to a faster charger?
Since NiMh self discharge faster than NiCad, you really need to know when you grab the camera after storing it for a week or two since the last charge, that your 2300mAh batts are not really 1600mAH!

So the fast charge is handy for the confidence top up in a hurry and if you can keep the batts on trickle with AA Alkalines's in the camera just for memory saving, that should work fine. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 10:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow
Best (cheapest) place to buy a Maha charger?

Anyone have any info on the Energizer deluxe charger? (5 hrs I think then switches to trickle charge) unit is about 9-10" long, 4" wide dark grey color holds 4 batts I think). Is it a good system?

Eveready 4-pk Energizer 2100s at Target for 9.99 u.s. today, I noticed.
have one and seems to work fine. Has two charging circuits so will do four batts at same time. drops to trickle when charged to keep batts up to snuff (needed for 2 batt olympus 560-- sorry piece of engineering from olympus)-----dirt
dirt is offline   Reply With Quote