Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 1, 2008, 4:06 PM   #1

I'm guessing, like NiMH AA batteries, Li-on DSLR batteries can drain even when the DSLR is not in use. Correct? I bought my D300 maybe back in February or March. Took less than 75 shots. Was busy. So the camera sat till this month. July. Noticed the batter read out was reading 1/3 (2 increments) power left. Normal. I did chimp just prior to looking at the readout though.

I'm guessing if I shot regularly I would get near the rated 1000 shots per charge with my D300. Yes? How many shots have you (D300 owners) been getting on average (keeping in mind we all use our cameras differently).
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2008, 5:10 PM   #2

Li-ons have a lower self discharge rate than AA NiMH and will last a long time. I've only shot my D80 for a handful of shots in the last 3 months and the battery still reads full. I rarely shoot my camera's all the way down. I usually charge up before each shoot, and I've never had a day where the battery has run out. I've shot over 500 shots a few times with my d300 and D80 and have never come close to complete discharge.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:45 PM   #3

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Li-ons have a lower self discharge rate than AA NiMH and will last a long time.* I've only shot my D80 for a handful of shots in the last 3 months and the battery still reads full.* I rarely shoot my camera's all the way down.* I usually charge up before each shoot, and I've never had a day where the battery has run out.* I've shot over 500 shots a few times with my d300 and D80 and have never come close to complete discharge.
Well, as I said. I have less than 75 shots and my remaining battery power level reads 1/3 power left. I would have thought it would still read at least 2/3 full if not still full. Even if I had left it for roughly 4 months. Go figure. Oh and I don't recall if I charged it before I began using it. I might have or not.

Will keep shooting till it completely drains. Then do a more fair observation. Shooting more often. And not leaving it unused for months.

And as I also said I was chimping when I looked at the power display. I noticed with my Sony H1 (P&S) that after chimping the power reading would immediately drop. After turning off the camera. Then turning it back on later the power reading would read full again. It used MAHA 2700 mAH AA.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:42 PM   #4

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
I noticed with my Sony H1 (P&S) that after chimping the power reading would immediately drop. After turning off the camera. Then turning it back on later the power reading would read full again. It used MAHA 2700 mAH AA.
My guess would be that one of the cells is weak. If you have a battery tester which checks under load, you can often find one or more out of a set of four which is weaker than the others. Presumably,similar problems can occur with Li-ion. I put together a couple matched sets, and find they give much better performance, and last longer. A charger which charges each cell individually is also a good idea.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the information VT. Can you recommend a good quality charger that would do this for Nikkor EN-EL3e Li-on batteries? I know MAHA has a "smart charger" for NiMH AA's.

Again, I'm not sure if it's because I didn't charge my battery before beginning to use it. I think I did. Yet, it is strange for a Nikon Li-on to be at 1/3 power after roughly 4 months. Even if it was unused. I heard Li-on batteries are good at holding their charges as RJ said.

He said he took less than a handful of shots on his D80 over a few months. And it still red full. Go figure. Could I have a bad battery? Shrug.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:07 AM   #6

I recall seeing somewhere that the rechargable Li bateries need to be cycled a few times before they hold a full charge. Try using your camera more and going through a charge-recharge cycle a few times.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:13 PM   #7

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
I recall seeing somewhere that the rechargable Li bateries need to be cycled a few times before they hold a full charge.* Try using your camera more and going through a charge-recharge cycle a few times.
Thanks Bill. I heard that about NiMH's but not Li-on's. Though not surprised if true. I am just on my first charge. Have yet to really log much time shooting consistently. But now that I have time...

I also recently heard that VR lenses tend to sap a lot of power. I did notice the 1/3 power remaining only after I did some chimping and after using my 70-300 VR. But that was only for a handful of shots. So I doubt a VR lens would drain that much. Definitely not a third of a bar of power. So I suppose it's as you said that my battery needs to be cycled through a few power/recharge cycles before it can hold "full power" or give me anywhere near the rated 1000 sots per charge.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:48 PM   #8

i have 3 li-on batteries for my oly e300 dslr and thats enough for a couple of weeks holiday

they hardly discharge at all when camera is off

i worked out each battery is good for around 2000 snaps if you dont keep looking back at them

my old oly point and shoot ate batteries and i wad amazed how much better the e300 was

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 5:23 PM   #9

Well, I don't know what it is about my Nikon EN-EL3e and my D300. I believe when I began using it for the first time I had fully charged it. That the reading looked full. 4-5 months later with minimal use it's now at 1/3 power. By "minimal use" I mean less than 60 shots. Just checked the number of shots.

Again, i didn't notice the power level till after I had used my VR lens once. And after chimping. Sometimes I'd turn on the D300 just to chimp. Might have added to a quicker drain? I don't know.

But I will obviously put it through a few cycles and see if I don't notice any change. Not sure if it couldn't be this factory battery. Might buy a 2nd one of these days just to compare.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:21 AM   #10

Could high temperatures affect battery life? I'm staying in California right now. The room I have my camera bag sitting most of the time can get pretty darn hot in the afternoons. I'd think not. But was just wondering. I could have sworn the MAHA AA NiMH I have left in my other camera had kept it's power for months. With almost no drainage. Or none I noticed. Of course the temp then was under 20C the majority of the time. Closer to 10C.