Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:32 AM   #1

:? Can some one tell me where i can get the Rechargable batteries for Z712 IS.

Which one is the most benefical for this camera.....

chinnu7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:22 AM   #2

This has been discussed a great deal in this forums and the nearby 'Kodak' section. See http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=18, and many other threads if you search for them.

Try a search in Google using something like...

" Z712 batteriessite: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/"

This will restrict the results to those here in Steve's Forums, and not return too many dubious Far Eastern websites.

Ni-MH batteries won't work. Rechargeable Li-ion are needed. Best are KLIC-8000, either Kodak's own, or cheaper substitutes, if you can find them from a reputable supplier.

Second best is 'Rechargeable CR-V3', which I use. There are several varieties. Buy twoand theircharger from a reputable supplier. There are several different types, all of which will fit the camera, but each with their own set of charging contacts.

The battery life is not as good as KLIC-8000, but I find it satisfactory, and carry a fully-charged spare.

They are on the shelf at Maplin Stores, or from their website, in the UK. I don't know if they have an equivalent in India, or if they ship abroad.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...Battery%20Pack

I note that the image there is of a different battery/charger type from the one on the shelf in the Maplin's shop near my home! Those, and mine, have a centre contact on both battery and charger, between the two camera contacts.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:50 AM   #3

Hi Alan,

I am totally confused what has to be done with this camera as i was told by the retailer that KLIC 8000 will not work on Z 712 IS as there are different type of contacts etc.,

I am in dark as there are no batteries available here in india. I dont know what has to be done.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:45 AM   #4

chinnu7678 wrote:
Quote:
...i was told by the retailer that KLIC 8000 will not work on Z 712 IS
He's wrong.You can read the manual on Kodak's website...

http://wwwuk.kodak.com/global/en/ser...?pq-path=10725

Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:36 AM   #5

Dear Alan,

Kindly suggest which one will be good...... which to buy.... in india am not getting any......
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:07 AM   #6

'chinnu7678',

I have already said that KLIC-8000 or direct substitutes of identical design are generally agreed to be best. The drawbacks are they are expensive, sometimesdifficult to find, and will fit only certain Kodak cameras. I have never owned such a battery myself.

I can speak authoritatively only about the rechargeable CR-V3 ones and 3-terminal charger that I haveused myself, and have no experience of any others. My charger (Model V-65A) bought from Maplin on May 2007came under the 'Digital' brand, probably made by 'Vanson', with a battery. A visibly identical charger and battery is now on the shelf in the same outlet, but under Maplin's own brand. I bought a second 'Uniross' battery, fitting the same charger, from a different outlet, at about the same time. Uniross also have an identical charger under their brand name.

That 'Digital' battery exhibited very short life between charges after less than one year's intensive use (many thousands of Z712 shots), and Maplin replaced it under warranty with an identical one, but repackaged under their own 'Maplin' brand. The Uniross battery, used alternately with it, is still going strong. Li-ion batteries have a time-limited lifetime of only a couple of years anyway, heavily used or not.

The one advantage, apart from cost,of rechargeable CR-V3 is that if you get a different camera in future that takes pairs of AA cells, it is likely that the rechargeable CR-V3 will fit it. The opencircuit terminal voltage of these batteries, unlike KLIC-8000, is regulated downwards from the native Li-ion voltage, so that it won't damage the electronics of cameras designed for pairs of Ni-MH or alkaline AA cells.

So I'm sorry, I have no advice to offer on a reliable source for any of these rechargeable batteries & chargers, other than the Maplin website whose address I've already given you. Others may be able to recommend websites that ship overseas to India. Beware of advertising messages from suspect suppliers, though.

Pairs of throwaway Li primary AA cells will also substitute for throwaway CR-V3, should they prove cheaper, while you're looking for rechargeable ones.

Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:07 AM   #7

chinnu7678 wrote
Quote:

I am totally confused what has to be done with this camera as i was told by the retailer that KLIC 8000 will not work on Z 712 IS as there are different type of contacts etc.,
I bought some KLIC8000 replacement batteries and they didn't work on my Z712IS but i got a wire and extend the middle contact from the battery to the + contact to the camera (place where there is no contact on the klic-8000 battery) and it works. i take 700 pictures(+flash+lcd+using zoom function for 100 pics) with one charge with one klic8000. is this correct.. does it matter and has possibility to damage my camera? can somebody tell me? thanks

grazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 2:35 PM   #8

i did just the same procedure before watching your scheme, grazz, and i can confirm it works wonderfully.

thank you very much!

maumau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:02 PM   #9

I am very confused by these last two posts, from 'chinnu7678' and 'grazz'. The KLIC-8000 is the recommended battery for all this series of cameras. It works perfectly well in my Z712 and my Z1012, with just the one end contact and one side contact, and no bits of wire.

Obviously the camera's contact inside its battery compartment, which shouldmatch the battery's side contact, is broken in both your cameras, which seems a remarkable coincidence. Were these cameras new or second-hand?

I think the side contact design for the KLIC-8000 was intended to avoid the danger of users attempting to recharge non-rechargeable, throwaway, primary lithium batteries, which have both contacts on one end (as have rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries). Attempting to recharge a non-rechargeable lithium battery is potentially dangerous. Rechargeable CR-V3 batteries have their contacts for charging in various places, but all I have seen have a pair of contacts both on one end to match the camera's contacts.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:10 AM   #10

Default Design Flaw in Z712 IS - Recharchable Battery does not Work

Z712 IS has a design problem. The rechargable battery does not work in the camera.I tried every possible batteries - KLIC8000 from Kodak, generic one that looks exactly like KLIC8000 (i think chinese made), rechargable and non-recharchable CRV3 batteries. NOTHING worked. However, AA battery works but gives about 20 shots.

After reading this thread and trying the simple solution described here, my camera is not working with KLIC8000 battery.

I suppose the circuit that is used for rechargable batteries seems to go bad in this camera. So when you modify the rechargable battery to work on the AA battery circuit, the camera works fine.
General.purpose7 is offline   Reply With Quote