Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 20, 2008, 8:41 AM   #1

I am looking to buy a "prosumer" sort of camera; I was beginning to feel limited by my simple point-and-shoot, but I'm not yet ready for a dslr (especially financially!). I've been agonizing over whether to get the Canon Powershot S5 IS or Canon Powershot G9. It seems in the reviews that the G9 is a better camera; the reviews for the S5 scare me a bit. However, one of my requirements was to find a camera that could us regular AA batteries in a pinch, because I travel internationally and I enjoy the freedom of being able to stop at any little newspaper stand for more batteries if the rechargeables run out. After watching a close friend have her power pack run down with no way to recharge it during the middle of our Barcelona vacation, I swore I'd never use one.

However, the G9 is tempting me...Those of you who travel with cameras with power packs, do you just carry a convertor and adaptors everywhere? My convertor is really heavy. I just want to hear other people's travel experiences with batteries vs. powerpacks; is it worth the compromise?
foreverfreebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:42 PM   #2

Both my cameras use AAs, and I have been pretty happy with the choice. I use rechargeables normally, but carry a set of Lithium AAs as a backup (very lightweight). My DSLR can also use CRV-3s, but I haven't used those. With AAs, I have power for not only both my cameras, but both my flashes as well.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"BL
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:34 PM   #3

foreverfreebird wrote:
Quote:
I am looking to buy a "prosumer" sort of camera; I was beginning to feel limited by my simple point-and-shoot, but I'm not yet ready for a dslr (especially financially!). I've been agonizing over whether to get the Canon Powershot S5 IS or Canon Powershot G9. It seems in the reviews that the G9 is a better camera; the reviews for the S5 scare me a bit. However, one of my requirements was to find a camera that could us regular AA batteries in a pinch, because I travel internationally and I enjoy the freedom of being able to stop at any little newspaper stand for more batteries if the rechargeables run out.
Just regarding the avoiding the DLSR "especially financially", the Canon EOS 1000D/Rebel XS DSLR with lens is about the same price as the S5 IS or the G9 !!!!!

Ok, it doesn't have AA batteries, but you could always get a Pentax K200D, which DOES use AA batteries, and again, it's around the same price!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 3:31 PM   #4

Foreverfreebird, what exactly is scaring you about the S5?? The delay the flash takes when batteries are 50%??

Ive got one, i use flash always on and maybe i can help you. Got any question??

mabhz is offline   Reply With Quote