Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:07 PM   #1

I'm considering buying the portrait grip for my D300. While I'm likely to buy a EN-EL4a battery to use with it too I'd like to try just using 8 AA's. I believe it can support most types of AA batteries. But I heard Lithium is the best. More so than Alkaline or NiMH. Can some one recommend some good lithium AA batteries and where to buy them online for the best price/brand selection?

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2008, 3:01 PM   #2

My D300 was very happy with 8 Energizer 2500ma/h NiMH AA batteries in the grip.

I didn't think lithium AAs were rechargeable?
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:08 PM   #3

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
My D300 was very happy with 8 Energizer 2500ma/h NiMH AA batteries in the grip.

I didn't think lithium AAs were rechargeable?
Hello Bob,

Can I ask how much you paid for your grip in TO? Did you only buy the grip? Or did you also buy the adapter for the EN-EL4a battery (and of course the battery) and EN-EL4a charger? I'm considering buying the 4 items. Though initially I want to try 8 lithium AA batteries.

And I think lithium AA's are "throw aways". Could be wrong. Have you tried using 8 alkalines?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:15 PM   #4

NIKON MB-D10 BATTERY GRIP (D300/700) $259.99

I didn't bother with the rest as I already had a spare EN-EL3e from the D70s and of course one came with the camera. The cost of the EN-EL4a upgrade wasn't worth the extra two frames per second to me.

I've only tried the 8 NiMHs once as I was stuck one day with both EN-EL3e batteries dead so I stripped them out of my flash units!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:55 PM   #5

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
NIKON MB-D10 BATTERY GRIP (D300/700) $259.99

I didn't bother with the rest as I already had a spare EN-EL3e from the D70s and of course one came with the camera. The cost of the EN-EL4a upgrade wasn't worth the extra two frames per second to me.

I've only tried the 8 NiMHs once as I was stuck one day with both EN-EL3e batteries dead so I stripped them out of my flash units!
Hey Bob,

For me. Getting the 4 items would be mainly to have the portrait grip and the extended battery life (EN-EL3e + EN-EL4a). More so than having the extra 2 fps. Though that is a plus. At the same time while having those benefits is nice what I'm not crazy about is the added weight.

Or, I could just buy the grip and 8 AA's for now. Rather buy throw away AA's right now as I'm in LA and do not want to buy more rechargeable batteries and a charger. More gear to lug with me when I fly back to TO in Feb 09. Don't need that. Even if they are small items. Which is why I'm looking for AA lithium recommendations.

I ordered an EN-EL3e battery from www.amazon.com as a backup battery because it is so cheap. 50% less than back in TO. Tempted to buy another.

Have a good week.