Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:58 AM   #1

I emailed Lacrosse and after a week I was told that they are both the same and the BC900 is just a newer unit. So now Amazon.com lists BC700 as the NEW unit and have people believingthat.

So now in the world of batteries I am still not "charged up" about this and just want to find out the real bottom line of this.:? I would apreciate some feedback on this.

Thanks

Al
BigAlKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:08 PM   #2

Hello Al,

The BC900 came out several years ago. It had some problems and a few actually melted down. Since the initial release, I believe there have been two updates, or revisions.

The BC700 came out a little over a year ago. With this unit they removed the higher charge rates. At the lower charge rates, it is identical to the BC900 in function.

I think the Maha C9000 is higher quality and offers more useful functions, but if you want to go with one you should decide based on the capacity of the cells you are charging.

If you AA cells are over 1500 mAh of capacity, go with the BC900.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:47 PM   #3

Tom,

I had emailed Lacrosse about 10 days ago, and the reply just arrived this past Saturday. According to the CSR the BC700 was the older model and then came the BC900. I know Amazon has the BC700 listed as the newer model, but perhaps the CSR is correct. Why? Well as new models come out their model # increses like the BC700 to BC900. Also, I believe people wanted faster recharge rates as well. Hence 1000 1500 and 1800 rates came out with the BC900.

I agree with you, the C9000 is a GREAT charger as I have one as well. It is my first choice in charging AA and AAA.I also have the 8008 charger as well to handle my C and D cells. I use a 10000 mah D cells as they last24 times as long in my boombox I have with Sirius radio. I once used the off the shelf Duracell rechargeable batteries which lasted 1 hr in my boombox. I learned about mah from this lesson and found 10000 mAh batteries which last 24-30 hrs now.

So theidea of which came out first is a mystery and when I get some "real time" I will search this out and hopefully find out the real answer

Till then,

Al

Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:11 PM   #4

Tom,

I was highly impressed when I saw your charts on the Candlelight forum about rechargeable batteries. Great great job . I too use Eneloop myself.

Al

l

Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:07 PM   #5

Hello Al,

Very interesting...

I wonder where they were selling the BC700? It was not available in the US until about a year ago... and I don't remember seeing it listed on the various European forums.

My "wild guess" on the whole thing is that after experiencing several BC900 failures do to a component being run at its maximum value, in some cases causing the charger to charge at its maximum charging rate without any termination due to temperature or -dV, they dropped the higher charge rates. This would prevent a charger melt down in the event of a internal shorting failure. Also, the components are not running at the ragged edge of their ability with the BC700.

However, that is only my "wild guess..."

Tom

Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:25 PM   #6

Hi Tom,

Just go on Lacrosse web site and you will see that BC700 is no longer available, but I guess vendors such as Amazon got such a great deal they took it on to sell. But BC700 is not the newer one for sure, but the BC900 which is a few yrs old anyway. Nowif Lacrosse put a backlit on it, it would be a winner for sure. Dont we wish we could combine the 2 together and have one great charger

Either way, I prefer my C9000!

Regards,

Al
Old Oct 30, 2008, 3:56 PM   #7

Hello Al,

I took a closer look at this and it appears that you are correct.

Somehow I missed the introduction of the BC700 when it first came out. I thought the BC900 was their first step into chargers.

I became aware of the BC700 only after I had been using the BC900 for quite some time. It looks like a large inventory of the BC700 units was sold off that that resulted in a re-introduction of the BC700.

Thanks for checking into this. I am now better informed. :-)

Tom
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:21 AM   #8

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your kind words. Now I am searching the net to see if batteries such as the Eneloop will increase the mAh to likes of 2700 or higher. Do you know if that is in the works ? I use a Microsoft mouse 8000 which is a battery hog, giving me perhaps 2 weeks or so before I have to recharge it. I came with its own charger, but I feel better charging it in my C9000 or my BC900 when the light is bright enough to see it LOL Just wished Lacrosse would follow in the steps of Maha and put a backlight in their chargers Mind you, I have a collection of batteries, just wished it woud last longer in my laser mouse.

Regards,

Al

Old Nov 9, 2008, 1:53 AM   #9

Hello Al,

I don't believe you will be seeing high capacity low self discharge AA cells.

In order to get the low self discharge characteristics, they had to compromise on capacity.

Tom
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:30 PM   #10

Hi Tom,

You are probably right, but I feel in the near future with push from consumers the higher mHa will go up in longer power numbers.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,

Al