Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:53 PM   #1

I'm getting some money for christmas soon and i'm going to be buying some rechargeable batteries and a charger for my camera but i'm not wanting to spend a lot. I will probably buy Sanyo Eneloop batteries since they are recommended so much on here. But can anybody recommend a cheap charger? Something around $20-40? Or maybe i should ask if there any good chargers in that price range?
If it helps any, i only use my camera occasionally like maybe once a week or sometimes once a month.

Thanks
rgw825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:36 AM   #2

This is a very good deal: LaCrosse BC-900 with batteries, carry bag, battery adaptersat Amazon for US$ 36.99: http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol...KHGYC4H5QBT2YP

On edit ... this is NOT a "cheap" charger as you asked for. It is a "great" charger at an inexpensive price. I've used one for several years, as well as a physically larger and more expensive Maha Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer. Both are excellent chargers.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:00 PM   #3

Thanks, that looks like a good deal. And after doing some extensive research like a good shopper should i see that is considered one of the best chargers at that. I did read there was some melt down problems with early firmware versions but it seems that was fixed?

Maybe i worded my topic wrong on my part. I should of said, a good charger at a cheap/affordable price.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:36 AM   #4

You won't go wrong with the BC-900 ... especially at that price (and free shipping if you useAmazon's free shipping method - assuming you are here in the US).
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 1:49 PM   #5

At the last minute i changed my mind and purchased the Lacrosse BC-700 instead of the BC-900 after reading Amazon reviews and because it was only $24.99.
I decided i didn't need the higher charge rate of the 900 since i will never be in a hurry to charge my batteries. And i didn't feel like i needed the extras that came with the 900. I bought a pack of Sanyo Eneloop AA's instead.
We'll see if i made a wise decision lol.

Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:40 PM   #6

You made a very wise decision. As you said, the BC-900 would have been the choice if you were going to be using the non-LSD, higher capacity (2500, 2700) NiMH cells.

Ionly use the higher capacity 2700mAh cells whenI'm going to be taking a many shots in a given day. Even then, if you have a spare set of eneloops in you're goodto go.

It's recommended that you charge cells between .5 and 1C. So, for eneloops, you'd want to charge anywhere from 1000 mA (2hr.)to 2000 mAh (1 hr.). Since I'm generally not in a hurry to charge, I almost always go with the 1000 mA charge rate for my eneloop and other LSD AA cells.

All in all, you made a great choice with both the charger and cells, enjoy!
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:27 AM   #7

The BC700 is an older mpdel, at least 5 yrs old. I know that Amazon lists it as a new model. Their latest code on the BC900 is 35 and I believe it is 17 on the BC-700. OK, the BC700 will do up to 700 mAvs the BC900 1000 mA. My choice is the Maha C9000 which is a safer and more fuctional charger. Look at Lacrosse web site, they dont even list the BC700 anymore as a product that they sell. Just look here:

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com

Lacrosee makes weather stations. The BC700 and BC900 is not their main products and besidestry to get an answer from them, email turnaround time it about 10 days. The C9000 is made by Maha which only deals with batteries and chargers related to them. Ask them a question and your reply is usually the same day! I know you have purchased the BC700, but you have 30 days to return it if you do wish .

Put it this way...would you buy a new car from McDonalds?Again, this is only my opinion. Merry Xmas to all.

BigAlKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:33 AM   #8

I did some searching around and found 2 different posts that say the BC 700 has Firmware v.36
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2LGEZG...cm_cr_rdp_perm
and
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...816&page=2

Even though it's not listed out in the open at the La Crosse site they still have a page for it. It is pretty bare boned though.
http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/bc700/

I'm still waiting to get mine in the mail. Then i'll find out if either of those people in the links above are telling the truth about the firmware lol.

Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:13 AM   #9

I read that post about the firmware being at 36 also. If you notice on the Lacrosse site.. there are no specs listed for the BC700 or features for that matter. When I got my email from Lacrosse she said the BC900 was the newer model. I did not want to spend the 25-33 to answer my own question. Please post the specs when you receive yours.

Thanks

theBC900. I am not sure that there is a big difference.

The BC700 and the BC900 both are equally the same. One is newer, theBC900. I am not sure that there is a big difference.

Best Regards,

Yvette

La Crosse Technology - Customer Support

Best Regards,

Yvette

2817 Losey Blvd South

La Crosse WI 54601

(888) 211-1923 Phone

(608) 796-1020 Fax

Dear Al Davis,

C900 both are equally the same. One is newer, theBC900. I am not sure that there is a big difference.

Best Regards,

Yvette

2817 Losey Blvd South

La Crosse WI 54601

(888) 211-1923 Phone

(608) 796-1020 Fax

BigAlKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:42 AM   #10

I just got my BC-700 charger today and plugged it in. Here are the numbers it displayed at start up.

45 45 700 36

And i assume the 36 is the firmware