Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:37 AM   #1

I bought this charger in the UAE, It is supposed to be a micro processor controlled charger that is to set the charging current as much as the battery may allow without over heating. I notice that the batteries get very hot. Some of the cells, including Energizer Ni MH cells have become permanently damaged. On reporting this to the Energizer in Dubai. They gave a replacement. The new replace also has the same problem. It seems to be that the product is a 'flawed design' one. I have also noticed that the charger is quietly dissappering from the shelves in the UAE. Several correspondences over months to Energizer asking a reply from their technical team has not got me a response.

I would like to know if any one else has had this battery charger and what was the outcome of using it.

Are there any of the quick chargers seen on the net,

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/900/index.php

http://shop.mahaenergy.com/store/vie...r=features#mid

available in the UAE?

backlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:14 AM   #2

I own both and the MH-C9000 is my primary charger. Offers more features, better charge rate scale, etc. Both are great chargers, but the C9000 pulls away from the BC-900.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 1:13 PM   #3

Hello Backlit,

I don't have that exact charger, but the specifications actually look very good. When you say "very hot," just how hot is that? The charger is set to shut off if the cell temperature exceeds 60 C. Do your cells get hotter than that?

One of the difficulties in fast charging is that the cells have to be in good shape in order to accept the fast charge. This requires a "forming" charge to initially evenly distribute the electrolyte within the cell, and then constant use to insure the even distribution in use. If the cell is stored, for any length of time, then subjected to a 1 hour charge, you can expect it to heat up and damage to occur.

This may be a battery issue more than a charger issue.

However, if Energizer used the wrong value for the charge termination, then it would be a flawed design.

I was just informed by Maha that they are having a Christmas special on their C9000. I don't know if that special is available in other countries, but you may want to check around.

After using the C9000, my BC900 is pretty much retired...

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:27 PM   #4

Hello Tom,

The battery heats up to 'hot to the touch'. It is likely to be hotter than 60 deg C. I am charging them after they run out in the camera or a toy. By the end of the charge, I have to put them down as soon as I remove them off from the charger.

If the battery heats up, should not the charger respond by reducing the charge current. If the charger has to detect a temperature increase there should be adequate contact between a sensor located inside the body. It is not so. The battery is held a little bit away from the inside bottom, that it may not be allowing detect the temperature rise. See the attached photo.

Sajit
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:55 PM   #5

Hello Sajit,

Too hot to hold is too hot...

1 hour charging will see cells warm up, but not to the point where they are too hot to hold.

Most chargers register the cell temperature at the ends of the cells where the contacts are. I have noticed that the middle of the cell gets hotter than the ends, but it is more convenient to measure where there is good contact with the cell. Since the ends remain cooler than the mid section, some chargers use an offset to keep track of the temperature.

The end of the cell may only be 55 C, but through testing they have determined for their particular set up that there is a 5 C gradient between the end of the cell and the middle of the cell, so they will shut things down when the ends get to a little lower temperature.

Unfortunately, this extra step results in extra costs, and most people are looking for the least expensive charger, so often this step is left out and while the charger is set to shut off at 60 C, the middle of the cell can be hotter than that.

The temperature control is a "go," "no go" indicator. If the cell temperature trips the high limit of the charger temperature control, the charger simply shuts off. Some of the advanced hobby chargers have advanced charging algorithms that will reduce the charge rate according to the cell condition, but they also tend to be a little more expensive. I have a Schulze charger that does that. It actually measures the internal resistance of the cell and adjusts the charging rate accordingly. The higher the internal resistance, the more heat will be produced during charging.

Once again I come back to the batteries. If there are problems with the batteries, higher charging rates will amplify those problems. The battery industry had a problem with 2500 mAh batteries, including those offered by Energizer. If your batteries are 2500 mAh in capacity, it is probably best to recycle those cells and start over with new cells.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:06 PM   #6

Thanks Tom,

Since the Energizer 2500 mAh were having problems. I had the Duracell 2650 mAh cells. They are heating up as well.

None of these battery companies are able to offer any technical help. Duracell even does not have any office at all, it seems. The only people in the Dubai Energizer office are the commercial people. They tell me that a single reported design flaw is not enough to have the product removed from the shelves. "The reason that it may not be there out is a marketing strategy."

I wish to see aanyone else who had similar problems.

I need to find as well if I can hunt downanother charger in the UAE.

Sajit

Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:48 AM   #7

I can't comment about the Middle Eastern model, however the relatively new 1 hour charger on the US market is a piece of junk.

The model # is CH1HR-2
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/ch1hr-2.pdf

I've had two fail in exactly the same manner. The right most slot simply stops working after some use. The LED on the far right slot will blink whenever it's connected to power even without any battery in it.

I smelled something funny, so I opened it and found one of the chips burned out inside. I got the unit exchanged and the second unit died exactly the same way, only using batteries that came with the charger.

Garbage.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:24 AM   #8

backlit,

Just a thought. Did you use a timer when using the Energizer 1hr charger? Some chargers do not cut off the power (although the indicator may be off), you will need unplug or remove the batteries soon after completing the charging.

I use Energizer Rechargeable Dock & Go Charger myself:

it takes 3 hours, but the charging pod can be left on the dock.
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:05 AM   #9
Banned

I use an Extreme 30 minute charger. Not a well known make but the charger is excellent. It is fan cooled to stop the charger and batteries heating up. It has a trickle charge for when the batteries have finished charging and not removed. It will trickle charge the batteries to prevent overheating and damage. So far it has been a great charger and fast!
horsy24 is offline   Reply With Quote