Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:11 PM   #1

I bought a Canon A720is recently and am really happy, but have been a bit disappointed with the batteries/charger I bought with it.

Charger is a Zeikos and it came with 4 2700-type batteries (no name printed there but likely they're Zeikos, too, I guess. They charge but I seem to get varying results on how long they last.

One time I deliberately tested and got more than 200 shots with flash and burst mode. I was totally fine with that. Over the holiday weekend I did use it quite a bit, but got less than a third. Seems odd.

So my question is this. If the cells are not great can i just buy some other 2700-type cells and use them in this charger?

Thanks

Reid
rsv869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:28 PM   #2

The answer is yes, BUT...

Is that the charger/battery combo I saw on ebay for $8.99 w/free shipping? No name on the batteries? Do yourself a favor...throw the whole package in the garbage and buy yourself a good charger and some good batteries.

Your camera is rated for 400 shots per charge (CIPA std) with the LCD on, and 900 shots per charge (CIPA std) with the LCD off. Why would you be happy with 200 shots? Why would you want to risk ruining your new camera by putting garbage in it? Why would you want to risk destroying a set of good batteries by putting them in a crap charger?

Sorry, but good NiMH batteries and chargers are cheap...well, not as cheap as you paid for that junk you got. A good set of 4 batteries can run you all of $10, and a good charger around $40. They'll last for years, and you'll get great, consistant performance with them. And you won't have to worry about them leaking inside your camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:43 PM   #3

Agreed, you get what you pay for.

If you'd like some of the best NiMH batteries and charger out there, head over to Wiredqube.com. The Maha MH-C9000 is on sale right now for $39.97. Then, throw in some Powerex 2700 mAh cells and/or 2100 mAh Imedion LSD NIMH cells. Free shipping for orders over $75. The Powerex 2700 mAh cells are the best, most consistend NiMH cells I've used to date.

You will not be disappointed with any of the items mentioned above, and I belive others will agree!

I agree the items I've listed are more expensive than the charger/cells you purchased with your camera. But again, you get what you pay for . . .
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. At least I know what to expect.

Kind of a bummer...I put some thought and research into the camera and not as much into the batteries & charger.

anyway,
regards,

rsv869
rsv869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:06 AM   #5

I agree with coppertrail on wiredqube. I just pulled the trigger ona Powerex MH-C801D charger and a dozen Imedion batteries. Best price on the net, free shipping and no tax...win, win, win...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:18 AM   #6

The C9000 is no longer on sale at WiredQube, the price went up this morning. The charger is still $39.97 at Thomas Distributing.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:42 AM   #7

And yes, I got mine from Thomas Dist. Gene Thomas is a great guy and I think we should all support his company. I know that this web site does Thats how I found them.
BigAlKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:35 AM   #8

I agree 100%, I've worked with him before and have the same opinion. I ended up buying a C9000, 2 sets of Imedion AA and 2 sets of Imedion AAA cells from TD this morning.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:45 PM   #9

Thank you for your support. I hope Mr Thomas has an eye on the forum as well.

Happy New Years to all my fellow charged-up friends

Al

BigAlKY is offline   Reply With Quote