Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:59 PM   #1

I would much appreciate comments on the quality of Lenmar batteries as low cost alternative to Canon brand batteries in Canon SLR cameras and in Canon battery chargers (e.g. Lenmar DLCE5 as substitute for Canon LP-E5 for the XSi). I have read on the web that some of the batteries by other manufacturers may be a poor fit to the Canon camera, almost impossible to remove. I have not found, however, user comments on Lenmar.

July is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:59 PM   #2

Lenmar products are ususally pretty good. However, if one should fail inside your new DSLR, Lenmar's liability would be only to give you a new battery. I don't think Canon would give you a new camera under the circumstances.

You might want to wait until after the camera warranty expires before experimenting with aftermarket batteries. Now I'm sure that a throng will respond to this thread, claiming to have been using $2 ebay batteries in their digicams for 10 years without a problem...but then again, people rarely come back and admit when something goes awry...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:41 PM   #3

Good general advice, thank you the Hun. Let's see what the feedback from the field might be. Especially what exactly happens to the camera should a battery fail (Canon or aftermarket). I hadn't considered that interesting possibility.

Beware, now that I have joined Steve's forum: I am one of those persons who will report the bad as well as the good. I'm here to gather good advice and unbiased facts, as far as such the latter may exist. In my short time at Steve's I have already experienced a wealth of the former.

BTW, I like the fact that you signed the message. A little touch that adds flavor. July is my username and the avatar is my dog as puppy. I may perhaps be best described as:

Meanderthal

Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:03 PM   #4

I'll try not to get behind you the first time you fire up your Canon with the unlicensed nuclear reactor inside...

the Hun

Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:53 PM   #5

Actually, I'm a pioneer at heart - but only in areas that I can pretend to have some expertise. Lenmar batteries is not one of these. I just do math. Should I take a risk to save $20? Depends on the probability and the and the amount of the loss. Let's do an expected value calculation... Just joking. I doubt that we can get a large enough sample for a meaningful estimate. On the other hand, I would dislike being a coward and overpay for brand name product that may not be more reliable than aftermarket goods. I like to see healthy competition, the only known way to keep quality up and cost down.

Should a Canon battery fail in a Canon camera, will Canon replace the camera? Are we talking about warranty on the battery, not on the camera?

Meanderthal
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:15 AM   #6

A couple of interesting(?) links:

http://www.canon-europe.com/Images/C...m13-492315.pdf

http://www.cipa.jp/battery/index_e.html

Although these links are primarily concerned with counterfeit batteries, I think most camera manufacturers state somewhere in their warranties that they are not responsible for damage caused by non-OEM parts and accessories. Does that mean Canon would replace your camera if one of their batteries leaked? I can't answer that - but, I think it is safe to assume that if some xyz brand self-destructed inside your camera, you would be out of luck. Now, if we were talking about a $79 camera, then saving $20 on a battery would be a big deal...if we're talking about a $7000 camera...are you kidding me? Only your can decide...

the Hun

Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:52 AM   #7

Interesting articles, thank you. There are two separate issues, though: counterfeit and aftermarket. It is possible that a camera manufacturer asks for such a high price that a reputable aftermarket manufacturer can make a high quality product at a lower price. Possible, but apparently rather rare. So what is Lenmar's reputation? Unfortunately "user ratings" in general seem to be tainted. More convincing would be a word from a few users with a solid reputation at Steve's.

Canon says:
"Canon products are designed to perform optimally when used with genuine Canon accessories. Canon shall not be liable for any damage to this product and/or accidents such as fire, etc., caused by the malfunction of non-genuine Canon accessories (e.g., a leakage and/or explosion of a battery pack). Please note that this warranty does not apply to repairs arising out of the malfunction of non-genuine Canon accessories, although you may request such repairs on a chargeable basis."
The $20 by itself is not very important. Can skip lunch to pay for it.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:29 PM   #8

Default Not so hot

Hi,
I bought a 6 hour battery for my Panasonic HMC40 camera. I charged it overnight after taking it out of the package. It showed a 7+ hour charge on the battery meter in the camera. After about 2 hours of shooting it went totally dead. No warning...just died. I took it back home and charged it again until it registered full. The camera meter showed a 6.5 hour charge. I turned on the camera and timed the battery discharge. After 1 hour and about 50 minutes it died again. My 3 hour battery lasts a third longer and is heavier than the 6 hour Lenmar. (Something fishy there?) I am sending it back to Amazon for a replacement or refund.

Last edited by PhotoMatt-Fresno; Aug 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
PhotoMatt-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote