Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:52 AM   #1

what is the difference between the duracell pre charged and the duracell rechargeable that come uncharged and you have to charge them upbefore using ?

pre charged: set I haveare copper tops and are black in the middle and green at the bottomAA / hr6 / dx1500 NiMH 1.2V / 2000 mAh made in china

uncharged :set I have are green tops rest black AA/ hr6 / dc1500 NiMH 1.2V / 2650 mAh made in japan

shoebooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2009, 1:43 PM   #2

There's actually a big difference, and what you choose will depend on your needs.

The Pre-Charged Duracell cells are what are called "LSD NiMH cells", or low self-discharge. While they have lower capacities (most around 2000 mAh for AA), they will hold a charge much longer when not used for extended periods of time.

The Non Pre-charged are "Standard NiMH cells". These will have higher capacities (up to 2700 mAh for some brands), but have higher self discharge rates when not in use.

It's important, when purchasing the Duracell Pre-Charged cells, to make sure they have a white are a around the positive terminal of the cells, and are manufactured in Japan. These what some have termed "Duraloops", and are probably the best LSD NiMH cells currently on the market. Basically, they're Sanyo eneloop cells re-branded as Duracell pre-charged batteries. If there's a black area surrounding the positive terminals, chances are these are cheaper cells, made in China, that simply aren't as good as eneloop.

To get an idea of the self-discharge rates between the 2 cells:

eneloop LSD: Loses only 15% of it's charge when not used for up to a year.

Standard NiMH cells: Loses up to 100% capacity when not used over a period of a month.

Now, there are Standard NiMH cells that hold their charge better than others. The best I've found are the Powerex 2700 mAh NiMH cells.

Even with the higher capacity of the Standard NiMH cells, many times eneloop cells last longer in a device because they hold their voltage so well. So don't be surprised if you get as many or more shots using eneloop cells than you do using standard, higher capacity NiMH cells.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 4:31 PM   #3

Thank you agian Coppertrail , both setsthat i havethe pre charged and the un charged bothhave the black around the pos posts and not white.

I guess when i buy them i will start looking for the Duracell's with the white around the pos posts instead of black .

Are the white around the pos post on Duracell's are they common or are they hard to find ????

How are the Energizer rechargeables does any one know ?

shoebooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 5:34 PM   #4

In my area, I've not had a hard time finding the Duracell pre-charged with the white around the positive terminal. I don't use Energizer cells, so I can't comment on them.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote