Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Apr 18, 2009, 6:58 PM   #1

Iordered the mh9000 and i was wondering do you use theBREAK-IN CYCLE on all new batteries right out of the pack only,what does it do for the battery? andwhat ifyou have batteries that are fairly new and have beenon charge a couple of times already, would theybe considered new still and would they still benefit what the break in cycle does to a new battery?
shoebooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:57 PM   #2

For brand new "standard" NiMH cells, a break-in mode is recommended (and I believe the C9000 manual recommends doing so once a year, I can't recall off the top of my head).

For LSD (Low Self Discharge) cells, such as eneloop, it's questionable as to whether a break-in mode is necessary. Personally, I've never done a break in mode with my LSD cells and have had great results.

Regarding cells that have a couple charges: If they've never been through a break-in mode, and they're non-LSD, it might not hurt to run them through a break-in.

I don't go nuts with the break-in mode feature, especially since I've switched to mostly LSD cells. I do use the refresh/analyze mode on my cells every 6 months or so to keep them up to par.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:05 PM   #3

OK thank you for your reply Coppertrail....and info i was just curious as how it worked because i never owned a charger that had the options that the 9000 does,

i have an old ray o vac PS1 and decided it was time for an upgrade . so i ordered the mh 9000 for $48 bucks from Thomas distributing

and a (la crosse bc-900) for$39 bucks from amazon just so i have 2 good chargers for a change.i should get thebc 900 on the 20th which is tomorrow,

I know that both chargers have a lot of nice features that they are able to do, from what i readonreviews onboth chargerswere good,

I could not :idea:decide on which one so iended uporderingboth of them !!!

this way you cant go wrong...:roll:.....right.....!!!!

shoebooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 3:20 PM   #4

You made 2 wise purchases. Both are excellent chargers, but IMO, the C9000 wins.

Another of my favorites is the MH-C800s when you want to charge more than 4 cells and don't need all the readings.

Thomas Distributing provides excellent products at excellent prices, with some of the best customer service I've seen
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote