Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:09 AM   #11

Thanks, Tom. I hoped you'd show up here!

I'll monitor the exif dates on mother-in-law's images to see how many shots she gets from the two sets of Li AAs I've now given her. I expect them to keep her happy for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxCPF View Post
AA size Energizer L91 cell..15 year shelf life....CRV3 batteries have a 10 year shelf life.
Perhaps that means the CR-V3 are a single cell, with a different 3V chemistry? Round here, they're more expensive than pairs of AAs.

Another AA issue...

I'm doing another experiment on my wife's occasional use of alkaline AAs in our daughter's elderly and much travelled cast-off 2004 Jenoptik camera. She also, of course, gets poor life from standard alkalines, and is similarly disinclined to be bothered with rechargeables.

At the store where I bought the 4-pack of Energizer lithiums for her mother, on the rack right next to them in a nearly identical pack, annoyingly and confusingly for the ordinary shopper, were packs of four upmarket alkaline AAs called 'Energizer Ultimate Hi-Tech' claiming "up to +25% performance vs Energizer Ultra+ in digital cameras". Presumably these have a lower internal resistance than standard alkalines, and fail less prematurely. I bought a pack (at half the price of the Li cells) as an experiment. Given the limited use of my wife's camera it will be a long time before I get a result.

Do you have a view on whether they offer a realistic middle-ground primary AA option for cameras, lying somewhere between dreadful but cheap performance from alkalines, and good but expensive from Li cells?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:07 AM   #12

Hello Alan,

The battery manufacturers have found that they can "tweak" the performance of an Alkaline cell by adjusting the chemical mix of the electrolyte. They have been able to create cells that maintain a higher voltage under load by doing this, but the trade off is less capacity.

A camera is very voltage sensitive, so these new cells are targeted toward camera users. An example of these cells is the Panasonic Power Edge. These cells are more expensive than regular Alkaline cells, and they have less capacity, but they do hold voltage which allows the camera to keep working. They were designed for camera use and seem to work well in this application.

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:21 AM   #13

Thanks, Tom. I think they'll do quite well in the ancient camera, because it has a small LCD screen, not used much.

Aren't you and I going to be busy when everyone's asking the impossible of their automobile traction batteries, if we're round that long?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote