Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 1, 2009, 6:04 PM   #1

Default Alkaline batteries in a digital camera

A quick question but first some background facts. My wife works in a center for developmentally delayed adults where they have a collection of Canon digital cameras that use AA batteries. I've recommended that they use lithium batteries or purchase a few chargers and go the rechargeable route but for the time being they are using standard alkaline batteries. One of her coworkers is insisting that the batteries should be taken out of all of the cameras and only installed just prior to being used. She then wants the batteries taken out again when people are finished with the camera. My opinion is that there is insignificant current draw when the camera is turned off, there might be an issue with having to reset the menu preferences if no batteries are left in and there is much more chance of a broken battery door when there is constant removing and reinstalling of batteries. Aside from going the lithium or rechargeable ways, what is the general opinion here?

Thanks.
Breb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2

Default Low self-discharge.

Quote:
My opinion is that there is insignificant current draw when the camera is turned off, there might be an issue with having to reset the menu preferences if no batteries are left in and there is much more chance of a broken battery door when there is constant removing and reinstalling of batteries.
You would be correct. Usually I will get a message asking to reset the time and date when powering up a camera that has gone without batteries for more than a few days.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I have found that alkalines will give me 1/6th or less the number of shots compared to a good set of NIMH batteries.

Several years ago Sanyo came out with Eneloop batteries. They are "low self-discharge" NIMH batteries that will maintain a charge of 80% over 1 year on the shelf. Several other companies have come out with similar designs. Rayovac has what they call "Hybrid" batteries, and another company, Tenergy, has their own version of low self-discharge cells. All seem to be fairly good from my experience. The Tenergy batteries are the best value out of the three.

Having used the Eneloops for a while, I now swear by this type of battery for my electronics and find I don't have to worry about charging batteries if I don't use my camera for a few weeks. I can always keep a set charged and in the camera case, ready to go.

You can also get a 12-bay charger, that should be enough for your wife's needs. The charger and batteries should pay for themselves quickly if you are buying lithiums! Aren't those $3 each?

Regards,

Owen
lightfusegetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 4:31 AM   #3

Using alkalines, you might find yourself quickly losing the charge of partly used alkalines and wasting them.

For rechargeable, if they run flat on you, slip them in a charger then you are good to go.

1. Rechargeables will be lower cost in the long run
2. Rechargeables tend to allow more photos per set of batteries
3. Less waste so friendlier to the environment
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:55 PM   #4

I would never leave alkaline batteries in camera or in any other device, have you seen what those things do when they leak?
LSD NiMH is the way, the year is 2009 not 1989.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:26 PM   #5

I've used alkalines in my S2 for years, sometimes it sets for months with batteries
in it. Always have a few spare sets in bag, never had a problem. YMMV

And yes I tried rechargeables, found them dead in camera and had to use alkalines
to take pictures, so I tossed them rechargeables. Yes I know people who work
at it get more bang for buck with rechargeables, I'm just lazy and happy !

James
jcotton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 6:34 AM   #6

"I've used alkalines in my S2 for years...never had a problem."

Like Egsis said..." LSD NiMH is the way, the year is 2009 not 1989."

LSD NiMH's will enable you to take 4 to 5 times the number of exposures that your alkalines are giving you now in your S2 - and you don't have to worry about leakage...yeah, I know - never had a problem...

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote