Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:09 PM   #1

Default Should I charge new NiMH batteries ?

Hi

It doesn't say anywhere on the packet (Duracell 2650mAh Supremes) - are they good to go or should I charge them before first use ?

thanks
swayzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I can't say for sure but most NiMH batteries need charging. If you have a higher end charger then just discharge then charge and you know you are good to go.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:33 PM   #3

It appears that Duracell Supremes are only marketed as such in the UK (not US). They offer a low self-discharge battery, which they call Pre-Charged...which are only 2000 mAh batteries. Therefore, assume your Supremes are not pre-charged and are essentially dead, and need to be fully charged before use.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:23 AM   #4

Thanks

Yes, it seems I should charge the new ones:

http://www.duracell.com/uk/faq.aspx#rechargeable

(question 9)

I know this may be impossible to answer (due dependance on charger), but what sort of time does it normally take to recharge 2500ish rated batteries ?

Presumably the red LED lights on most chargers go out when the battery is charged ? Or are they just power indicators on some ?

I have a basic Energizer charger and a really cheap-looking one as well, both with 2 LED lights on the front.

The cheaper one has a mA rating that is less than that of the batteries (I think about 1800 ?) - does this mean it wouldn't charge them fully ?

Last edited by swayzak; Aug 11, 2009 at 2:26 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:15 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayzak View Post
Thanks

Yes, it seems I should charge the new ones:

http://www.duracell.com/uk/faq.aspx#rechargeable

(question 9)

I know this may be impossible to answer (due dependance on charger), but what sort of time does it normally take to recharge 2500ish rated batteries ?

Presumably the red LED lights on most chargers go out when the battery is charged ? Or are they just power indicators on some ?

I have a basic Energizer charger and a really cheap-looking one as well, both with 2 LED lights on the front.

The cheaper one has a mA rating that is less than that of the batteries (I think about 1800 ?) - does this mean it wouldn't charge them fully ?
Most chargers will change the colour of the LEDs when the charge is complete or they could flash.

As for charging rate, this doesn't affect it getting a full charge (unless it is very low where things get at little more complex), but it affects how long it will take to charge the battery. With this charger you will expect it to take a few hours (assuming that the 1800 is split between the cells).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Most chargers will change the colour of the LEDs when the charge is complete or they could flash.

As for charging rate, this doesn't affect it getting a full charge (unless it is very low where things get at little more complex), but it affects how long it will take to charge the battery. With this charger you will expect it to take a few hours (assuming that the 1800 is split between the cells).
That's interesting. I put 2 x 4 batteries on for charging last night (4 in each charger) - approx. 10 hours later the Energizer charger LEDs have dimmed (I assume this means they are charged) but the cheap charger's LEDs are still constant & bright.

Hmmm..
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:21 AM   #7
elo

swayzak, I recently upgraded my battery charger to the La Crosse BC-900. This is a great charger it can charge any NiMH battery and you dont have to worry about over charging. If you click on the link below you can read the comments on it. It does cost $40 but comes with 4aa and 4aaa batteries.

The worst part for me was I tossed out many NiMH batteries thinking they were bad but it was my cheap charger that was messing the batteries up.

La Crosse Technology BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:12 PM   #8

I'd go for the Duracell Pre-Charged with the white around the + terminals. Pair that with either the BC-900 or the MH-C9000 and you'll be good to go!

The Duracell pre-charged with the white around the + terminals are actually eneloop cells with a Duracell wrapper.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote