Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 13, 2003, 6:41 PM   #1

Default I think my 8 NimH batteries are dying, or maybe my charger??

Hi, I've got an Hp 935 photosmart. It takes very good photos, but it drains very quick my 2200 mAh batteries. First, if you look there in the forums, I thought that camera wasn't ok because I could only take over 50 photos with a couple of batteries, but after a cycle of 2 weeks recharging-discharging, batteries let me take over 200 photos without problem, more than 512 mb of photos.......
.. but since 3 week ago, I have noticed that my batteries drain very fast!! I cannot take more than 45 photos with each couple of batteries instead of more than 200 before

I think it's because my charger has burned my batteries... My batteries are HAMA 2200 mAh NiMh 1,2v, bought in Spain, & I've got two batterie chargers, the first is an Quick charger frome the same brand (Hama Delta 2/4) that's able to charge 2 or 4 atteries. It theorically can recharge batteries in 2 o 3 hours, but NEVER has took this long time before went to trickle charge..., it only takes 1h 30 minutes or less... The second charger I've got is an standard charger, without brand & without trickle mode, that theorethically allows to recharge batteries around 14 hours (1200 mAh)....

I get my best results (more than 200 photos) with the second charger in around 16 hours recharging, & with the first 4 batteries (i've got them labeled "couple 1,2,3,4") I've never had the same result with couple 3,4...

With the quick charger (HAMA delta 2/4) I hadn't good results in any moment, because of the camera battery consumption, batteries recharged quickly drain so fast....

The problem is that I've forgot couple 1,2 in the standard charger for a long time (23 or 24 hours) & because it haven't got trickle mode, when I took off the batteries, they were VERYYYYYYYYYY HOTT, burning!!! this has happened later with couple 3,4 (I bought them 3 weeks later than first /second)..

Now I put batteries into standard charger & they never become hot, nothing hot.... instead of it, the CHARGER becomes VERY HOTin the other charger all batteries became very hot because of the short recharging time... I think 2 options:

First: Batteries are dying because of the "forgot long time recharging"

Second: My standard charger is damaged because a long stuffy connection, very hot for very long time (23 hours more than one time).

I don't know why but maybe the second option is probably, because the 2 couple of batteries never recharge correctly & they haven't suffered "forgotten recharged time".

WHAT DO YOU THINK? CAN ANYONE HELP ME? any people with the same problem.. Sorry by my long explanation.
Massimo_ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2003, 8:17 PM   #2

please tell me you have them grouped and marked as sets for your camera and you not just mixing and matching.

now depending on how many cycles you've put them through you could have a bad one or two taking the set down or yes they could be shot.

a good charger drops down to trickle after you batteries are full. the trickle maintains them at readyiness. you should be able to keep them on charge for about a year with a good charger without damaging them.

remember that a NiMh batt losses about 15% of charge over about 24 hrs off charge. after that it bleeds off incrementally to nill in about 20-30 days.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 8:42 AM   #3

Default Yeah I've got them

Hi, thank you four yor answer. I've got all them labeled in sets 1,2,3,4 (each couple it's a set)

I think that my standard charger is damaged, or maybe it has damaged my batteries.....I have an quick charger as I said before, but I want to buy an standard (not Fast) charger for those high powerful batteries 2200 mAh... Could you recomend me anyone?

thanks
Old Nov 14, 2003, 8:58 AM   #4

for my AA batts i use Maha chargers.

the model 204F is their standard charger 2 batteries per charge circuit 2 bays total 4 batts on charge. delta v type charger

model 401F 4 individual charge circuits 4 batteries. has fast and slow options. modified delta v charger.

http://www.mahaenergy.com/

you would have to chk availability in your country.

their batts are excellent too. tops in the tests.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 4:09 PM   #5
Administrator

I received the following in a Microsoft doc file from HP to be used for reviewing the Phtosmart 945 camera:

----------

Another point worth mentioning is that batteries that read ‘empty’ on the battery gauge are not necessarily ‘dead’ batteries. If the user is doing something very power-intensive, like continuous video capture, and the camera shuts down, that may not be an indication of a dead battery as much as it is an indication that the battery voltage has simply become too depressed to continue operating in a high power mode. In fact, much more life is often in them for lower power modes like still picture taking. High power modes may even continue to work if the batteries are allowed to recover for a while with the camera in the off state. Thus, it is generally recommend that users should use the camera until it shuts itself down two or three times before deciding that their batteries are absolutely dead, especially if they are in a cold environment or have continuously been in a high power mode like live preview or video when the first shutdown occurs.

One last point which is specific to the HP 812 and HP 935 cameras is that immediate, continuous use may cause them to appear to have shorter battery life than normal. This is because they contain an ultra capacitor which enhances battery life when it is fully charged. If the ultra capacitor is not allowed to charge up, as happens when the camera is placed immediately in live preview or video mode after boot, it cannot perform its intended function of enhancing battery life. The 812 and 935 will perform best if the camera is booted up and allowed to sit idle, with the LCD off, for a few seconds before use commences. During continuous use, overall use time will also increase if the camera is given short rest periods where it is left on and idle, with the image LCD off.

----------

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 7:09 AM   #6

Quote:
I think it's because my charger has burned my batteries
Only one battery in a set of 4 needs to be faulty or not accepting charge as easily to render all 4 of a set difficult to charge to full capacity. If your charger regulates the charge to each batt separately, great, but if it's a 2/4, try charging 2 at a time, then check each cell voltage with a digital meter afterwards. Ideally on load with a small torch bulb. Keep back the batts with the lowest voltage, then recharge those in pairs. When you get similar high readings on all 4, you should be more confident of a matched set. Throw away any batt. which come up with a consistent low voltage, even after repeat charging. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:02 PM   #7

Default Probably my charger is dying

thanks to all of you by your answers. I'm going to buy if I coud a Maha slow charger, or similar, maybe i must buy it from internet but my friend that lives in USA comes next week to Valencia. He's bought a set of lenses fromt Tiffen and an adapter for my camera, but i think i'm gonna say him to buy a set of maha 2100 mah and a charger, i think they are all dying...

Steve, very interesting the text about power consumption in hp 812 & 935, it's my way. Maybe it's very real, i always switch on the lcd inmediatelly camera comes on, i'll wait ten seconds before turning it on, thanks. Your answers are always very good received!!
Old Nov 22, 2003, 3:10 AM   #8

Default Re: Probably my charger is dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massimo_ac
I'm going to buy if I coud a Maha slow charger
Another (very cheap) useful accessory would be a Digital Volt Meter with an AA battery test facility. This will display the current delivered on discharge through a standard resistor, and easily identify cells that aren't behaving like the others, and which therefore need discharging & recharging a few times to see if they recover.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 9:00 PM   #9

Alan T...... Maplin have an lcd 'home use' multimeter giving 2 decimal accuracy in their Xmas offers - reduced to £2.99 including case and battery!!. Bought one last week, it's as accurate as my expensive Fluke on 2.5 volt range. That's cheaper than an AA batt! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2003, 3:51 AM   #10

Default Re: Yeah I've got them

Quote:
Could you recomend me anyone?
I've been using GP AA 2100 mAh batteries for some time now, and I charge them with the GP PowerBank Smart. This really is one hell of a set, I can tell you! The PowerBank charges them in about an hour, and after that I'm able to shoot around 270 pics with them, where alkaline batteries die after let's say 100 pics. I really wouldn't want anything else.
Polar Monk is offline   Reply With Quote