Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:02 PM   #1

Default Bad battery or bad charger?

I have a couple pairs of Duracell 2650 mAh AA cells and an Olympus BU-100 charger. The cells are a year or two old.

The don't hold a charge worth a darn. Charge 'em, shoot a few pictures, tomorrow it's dead. They were almost okay when they were new but they're unusable now.

I know that this is probably an old question but I went through a few pages and maybe this is too simple for you guys but I could use some guidance. Do I have a mismatch or an inadequate charger (no guessing, now!) or what?

The charger seems to have some intelligence by the way. If you press your ear to it you can hear it going bzzzt - - bzzzt - - bzzzt, like it's spoon-feeding the cells....

P
Permanent Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:08 PM   #2

From what I read it seems that the high capacity rechargeable AA batteries don't have a very long life, especially Duracells. I have four cameras taking AAs and many AA-powered gadgets and have found Eneloop AAs to be the biz. All my batteries are charged with a Maha C204W charger which has faultlessly nurtured them for two years now.

I really hope you solve your problems for there's nothing more miserable than an unreliable power source.
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:08 AM   #3

Sounds like yours too developed high internal resistance, which is like a clogged fuel filter. Battery still holds the energy, but unable to provide the flow rate needed.

At one year, I'm almost certain, from my experience with these cells, they're done.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:16 AM   #4

I had similar experience, but not quite so drastic. It is possible that one of the cells in the set has a problem. This has happened to me once or twice. Matching up the cells by voltage (after waiting a few days to a week) should give you a decent set.
I have changed over to the low self-discharge types, and am waiting to see if they do any better.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 3:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I had similar experience, but not quite so drastic. It is possible that one of the cells in the set has a problem. This has happened to me once or twice. Matching up the cells by voltage (after waiting a few days to a week) should give you a decent set.
I have changed over to the low self-discharge types, and am waiting to see if they do any better.
brian
They need to be tested under load. Failing Duracells can actually hold the charge ok and still have very good energy remaining, but high impedance cause them to sag under load.

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:24 PM   #6

Hi,
Recently I have invested in an 8 cell battery charger from Maha model c801d.
And also purchased Powerex batteries.
But have a good lot of Duracells 2650 and have no issues with them, might be the charger that makes a difference.
But the charger has 8 individual cell charge circuits with individual displays.
When you have a bad battery inserted, you will know quickly if one is bad.
And also the Maha charger has a conditionning circuit, there are some comments that say on the 3 or 4 first charges of a new battery a conditionning is a must.

Good luck!