Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Batteries or Power Packs

Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:32 PM   #11

The best charger available is this one Powerex MH-C9000 Yes it is expensive, but is loaded with features including:
> 4 independent charging/discharging channels
> user selectable charging rate from 0.2A to 2.0A in 0.1A increments
> user selectable discharging rate from 0.1A to 1.0A in 0.1A increments
> user selectable battery capacity from 100mAH to 20,000mAH
> battery break-in mode for new or extended storage batteries
> cycle mode to continuously discharge & charge batteries for up to 12 cycles
chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:39 PM   #12

I think the Maha/Powerex MH-C801D is better - it has EIGHT (8) independent charging circuits.

...chaos, where have you been?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
I think the Maha/Powerex MH-C801D is better - it has EIGHT (8) independent charging circuits.

the Hun
I have a Maha PowerEx MH-C808M and it has worked flawlessly for years. Obviously much bigger than most of the other charges, but I wanted a good one that will last, and not be limited to AA or AAA's

I would also recommend using the Hybrid type batteries. These hold their charges much longer than a normal rechargeable battery. This type can usually be found by looking at the package. They will say that they are pre-charged and they will hold that charge much longer on the packaging somewhere.

Sanyo Eneloops were some of the original, but there are many others now.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:53 AM   #14

You can learn alot in the reviews for batteries and chargers at Amazon,there are a few prolific reviewers there that really know their stuff. You don't have to buy anything from Amazon to see their reviews. After reading I found a smart charger (BC-700) that charges AA or AAA cells individually and slow and also has a refresh setting for older rechargeable batteries. Fast chargers or high settings create heat wich is very very bad,,,the only reason I keep my old fast charger is for emergency charging. I'm refreshing my 3rd set of 4 batteries right now on the 500mAh setting,the AAs never get more than slightly warm to the touch and take 2-3 days to complete,after refresh then regular charging won't take that long.
Idunnoyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdsm View Post
The best charger available is this one Powerex MH-C9000 Yes it is expensive, but is loaded with features including:
> 4 independent charging/discharging channels
> user selectable charging rate from 0.2A to 2.0A in 0.1A increments
> user selectable discharging rate from 0.1A to 1.0A in 0.1A increments
> user selectable battery capacity from 100mAH to 20,000mAH
> battery break-in mode for new or extended storage batteries
> cycle mode to continuously discharge & charge batteries for up to 12 cycles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post

the Hun
Hun, MH-C9000 has LOT more functions.
They are both good so its a personal preference of which one is better.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:32 PM   #16

How do you folks feel about the POWEREX MH-C801D 8-cell charger?

I think it's a bit expensive -- $79.99 (although it comes with 8 Powerex 2700 Mah AA batteries at Newegg -- same price locally at BatteriesPlus, but I don't think they include the batteries at that price).

I read all the way through this thread. I've been to the Battery Junction link and looked at everything THEY have. I've looked at everything available at NewEgg, TigerDirect, Sam's Club, Costco, WalMart, Best Buy, Office Depot, Office Max, and a couple of other places online... Frankly, I'd LOVE to get just a $20 charger if it would do the job, and the cheapest possible batteries, BUT I also want the maximum performance and most "bang for my buck."

Here's what I need my batteries for -- a Canon IS SX20 (uses 4 AAs) and the Canon 430 EX II dedicated flash I bought to go with it (Canon's next-to-top-of-the-line dedicated flash). Rebound time is much more important for me with the flash than with the camera... I'm still on my first set of batteries with both (Duracell AAs), and while the camera's still doing everything as well as it did from the start, after every flash, the flash takes longer and longer to recharge for the next flash (up to 10 seconds -- even when I'm doing "fill flash" outdoors). One of the first things I noticed in the flash's manual was that it has a faster recycling time using rechargeable batteries than alkaline or lithium, which is also part of this equation.

On that front, while I'd like to go with the highest Mah possible, from what I've been reading, it appears some of the lower Mah batteries have longer lives, slower drop-off and faster rebound (like the Sanyo Eneloop, Ray-O-Vac Hybrids, etc). There's a new Ray-O-Vac Hybrid in a pink package that's available at Battery Junction for only $4.95 per 4-pack, which, if they're above 2,000 Mah, would seem worth getting. I plan to buy at least 16 batteries, so I can always have 8 in the camera and battery and 8 charged and ready.

I like the idea of a charger that has the option of slow charge OR fast charge, so you can do either, depending on your needs (I'd always prefer slow charge unless I was in a real pinch). The Powerex charger I mentioned at the beginning does that, and also has a number of other features, but I assume it's not the only one. I also want one that will charge 8 at a time, so I don't ever find myself in a pinch in THAT regard.

All thoughts, wisdom and advice are welcome and appreciated.
Jeff

Last edited by JeffAHayes; Mar 27, 2010 at 2:26 AM. Reason: Correct the model number on my Canon Flash
JeffAHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:55 PM   #17

that is a nice charger. If you are looking for something like that, in a charger that size (more of a desktop type thing) I would step up to the MH-C808M for about $10 more. Gives you options of C and D batteries too.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/sh...rsllit8gi3gna7

Or step back down to the Maha MH-C9000 for a more portable one. Just my opinion though.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/sh...rsllit8gi3gna7

I usually buy my stuff from Thomas Distributing, pretty good prices, and they know their stuff.

Brew

Last edited by tsbrewers; Mar 26, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:45 AM   #18

Thanks Brew.

I just edited my post a bit. I'm currently looking at all the offerings at Adorama (after seeing a post in another thread in this forum from Helen Oster, one of their reps, who offered provided a link to a product a forum member was looking for and offered to give them personal attention if they had a problem with the battery). That, alone, made me feel VERY comfortable with checking out Adorama to see what they have, since if the forum has one of their reps as a member who posts under her own name (with an avatar that's a picture of her with her daughter), I figure there's a great deal of integrity there, or else she's REALLY sticking her neck out, lol.

At any rate, I haven't seen any really sophisticated looking chargers there (except a couple that will charge all types of batteries (A -- D, plus 9-volt, but their specs claim a maximum charge capability for AA of 2500 Mah, or so, and I'm still considering getting the highest possible Mah {I'm looking at a few 2,900s}, IF that's not a mistake. If it is, someone please let me know, and I'll settle for the lower Mah of one of the hybrids that are in the 2,000 -- 2,300 Mah range).

Right now, I'm going to look at the two links you posted. By the way, I also did a search on the Lacrosse charger someone recommended on Page 1 of this thread (I can't recall the model number right now -- 9009 something, I think -- but everywhere I looked, for the most part -- Including Thomas Distributing {I Googled the model number} it was out of stock, which almost makes me wonder if there's not some "issue" with that charger that has it out of production for the moment.

I'll go look at your links, now, and let you know.

And seriously, I'd also like some thoughtful input on those $5 4-packs of the "pink" Ray-O-Vac "hybrids." Ray-O-Vac ALSO has GREEN hybrids which sell for about twice that price, but I haven't been able to discern what the difference is, except that it appears the GREEN ones show an Mah rating on the batteries and/or package, while the PINK ones don't (one reviewer said after a few cycles his testing revealed they got up to about 2,100 Mah, but they started at about 1,450). Even if it takes a few cycles, if they get up to 2,100 Mah, at that price, they might be worth it, if they have a long shelf life and hold their charge well during use, I think.

What do you folks think about cost/benefit on rechargeables? I'm seeing a few high-Mah-rated batteries at good prices, too... Adorama has a 10-pack of Power2000 brand 2,900 Mah batteries for $19.95, with free shipping. IF those don't have a short shelf-life and provide a really fast recycle time in something like a high-powered flash, they might be ideal. They claim 1000 recharge cycles.

Were I able to buy locally, I'd not have too much of an issue, since I could always take them back. But online purchases are a lot more "final."
Jeff
JeffAHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:36 AM   #19

Cheap & very good is combination of BC700/BC900 with eneloops. Don't buy the eneloop charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol...0046004&sr=8-1

it single charges AA/AAA with 200/500/700 --- BC900 also with 900mA

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 4:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Cheap & very good is combination of BC700/BC900 with eneloops. Don't buy the eneloop charger.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol...0046004&sr=8-1

it single charges AA/AAA with 200/500/700 --- BC900 also with 900mA

Yes of course it's good and cheap, same issues with 700 and 900 models.
LaCrosse BC-9009 / BC-900 - The Melt-Downs Continue:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=252188
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote